• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Help choosing correct saddle

Hawk

Hey guys,

I'm new here and never hunted out of a saddle before. I've read books by John Eberhart recommending saddles and have looked into them but I've always been skeptical but the more I read the more interested I become. From what I've read online there seem to be 2 options currently which are Guidos web and Aerohunter. I was wondering how comfortable the Aerohunter is to hunt out of as I've read the Guidos is quite comfortable and the older tree saddle version tended to compressed hunters thighs which became uncomfortable. I was also wondering which is easier to shoot a bow out of especially for a newcomer (I realize I'll have to practice with either one)? In cold weather is there one that would be easier to add layers? Which one if any is easier to climb the tree? Finally once you buy one of these how long can you expect them to last as they seem to be quite expensive and I need to justify this to my wife. I like the safety aspect of these and how versatile and mobile you can be. I would appreciate any feedback on people who have used these to help decide between the two. Thanks in advance.

I have the aerohunter and it is not uncomfortable however saddles do take time to adjust to oneself. You will definitely need to take time for adjusting it to meet your level of comfort. As far shooting a bow I do not find it hard to shoot from but like you said you will need to practice. I have had my saddle since 2014 and it is still holding up but does require one to inspect their saddle and ropes on a regular basis because they do wear over time. The important thing is to keep everything clean and follow the manufacturers cleaning procedures. These are expensive at first glance but if you think what you would invest in a top rated lonewolf climber etc. you would be spending around the same cost. The pro here is it will be lighter and you won't always have to be looking for that straight tree. I do not own the web but I think opinions will only slightly differ as what I stated is basically what you can expect from any of the two. As a newcomer both of these options will allow you to get introduced to saddle hunting with a complete basic package. Let us know what you decide on and ask as many questions. Welcome aboard.

I've never used the saddles you are looking at, but I can give you some general help

In cold weather is there one that would be easier to add layers?
This is a tough one that I don't believe a really good solution exists yet. Adding a jacket is doable, but pants, not so much. Some guys have modified a full suit, like the Heater Body Suit, to work with a saddle. I haven't used one so I can't say for sure. What I can say is you can get creative and find ways to do without the bulky layers. I transitioned this past winter to using adhesive body warmers and left the larger jackets at home. It worked incredibly well - better than I expected. You can also invest in the battery heated vests/jackets. That way you can only turn them on once you get cold and eliminate the need for an extra layer.

Which one if any is easier to climb the tree?
I think the AeroHunter will be easier to climb. It's built like an arborist saddle designed for climbing. I've heard complaints over the years about this being one of the downfalls of the Guidos Web. Again - I've never used either of them, so take that for what it's worth. However, I think most would agree that a traditional saddle, built like a harness would be the easiest to use.

Finally once you buy one of these how long can you expect them to last?
I've had my Trophyline Tree Saddle for over 6 years and it was made in 2004. With routine maintenance and checks they can last a really long time. You may have to replace some of the components, like your tether, lineman belt, or bridge, but the actual saddle (the expensive part) should last a really long time.

Justifying it with your wife...
It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission...HA!!!

The Guido looks so bulky and restrictive...if you ever try a minimalist saddle, the aero seems bulky. I use the NewTribe as I feel it is a good balance without giving up ANY safety.

I find saddle hunting to be safer and easier than any tree stand.
Shooting out of it was no problem for me. The trick to learn is how to anticipate and set up your shots...where to orient yourself on the tree, leaning back or forwards or sideways....arms inside
Or outside the Bridge etc....

I used to hunt from a Anderson sling like John E in my twenties. It worked really well. However it became uncomfortable as I got older and I stop using it. Back then I just used the stock tree strap and hung it up as high as I could. If this site was around I would still be using it. (Of course the internet hadn't been invented yet:tongueout:) Last year I bought the Web. Very comfortable and really doesn't restrict much at all. It provides warmth for cold weather. I very recently am in the process of setting up a Sit and Drag. I am liking it so far but too early to tell. At my age and weight I am going to use a platform like mentioned on this site and hook the tether up at a much lower height than I used to. I find this is much more comfortable on the hips and legs. I will probably use the GW for longer hunts and the SD for shorter hunts. With the GW I don't need a platform. The downside to the GW is it 9.5lbs and harder to climb with. The SD is only $30. I would do that versus a Aero however I have no experience with that saddle but I cant imagine it is that much more comfortable than just getting a SD. If I were you I would start with a SD and check out the mods on here. G2 has a great video. You may find saddle hunting is not for you and you are not out that much $$

Hey guys,

I'm new here and never hunted out of a saddle before. I've read books by John Eberhart recommending saddles and have looked into them but I've always been skeptical but the more I read the more interested I become. From what I've read online there seem to be 2 options currently which are Guidos web and Aerohunter. I was wondering how comfortable the Aerohunter is to hunt out of as I've read the Guidos is quite comfortable and the older tree saddle version tended to compressed hunters thighs which became uncomfortable. I was also wondering which is easier to shoot a bow out of especially for a newcomer (I realize I'll have to practice with either one)? In cold weather is there one that would be easier to add layers? Which one if any is easier to climb the tree? Finally once you buy one of these how long can you expect them to last as they seem to be quite expensive and I need to justify this to my wife. I like the safety aspect of these and how versatile and mobile you can be. I would appreciate any feedback on people who have used these to help decide between the two. Thanks in advance.
Welcome!

So I have not used the web yet, but I did pick one up to try out. If you are looking for ultimate comfort, the web is the way to go. What I see from many guys using the web is that they are using them in certain situations, but not all the time. For instance, I picked mine up to use on my all day rut sits and all day sits during gun season. The web is a bit bulkier than the aero hunter so that is why. That being said, there is no reason the web won't work for all of your hunts. But because it is bulkier it is known to get a bit warm in early season. The aero hunter is adjustable, where the tree saddle was not, so if you put the time into learning the adjustments that fit you, it is a very comfortable saddle. I put in at least 10 all day sits a year and I did this in my old tree saddle and in my aero hunter since I have had it.

I'm not sure if either would be easier to shoot a bow out of. But as long as you practice out of whatever you choose, this should not be an issue.

In cold weather it is not easy to add bottom layers in any saddle. I can add top layers no problem, but I put all of my bottom layers on at the base of the tree and then climb up.

I would think the aero hunter is a little easier to climb the tree. The web has the whale tail in the front of it which might get in the way. But the whale tail helps add to comfort when you are in the tree.

They will last quite a while depending on how you take care of it. I have hunted out of a saddle for around 75 days a year and my saddles show signs of use, but nothing that is of any concern. If you replace any necessary parts as needed and take care of them there is no reason they shouldn't last for years.

Good luck in your journey!

Thanks for the replies. It seems people are leaning a little more towards the Aerohunter or some variation due to it being less restrictive. I talked with my brother who was a lineman and he said he would worry about how comfortable they are for long sits. How long does it take to get set up in one of these if you were using say 4 lone wolf climbing sticks compared to a climber or a fixed stand. I own a climber and a Lone Wolf hang on stand and was considering getting another XOP climber due to feeling safe while climbing but this is very restrictive for the trees I want to hunt out of so I think the saddle is a good alternative but I didn't know how long it takes to use them compared to the others. It seems people who use the Aerohunter are not having comfort issues that were noticed with the Trophyline tree saddles so are there any disadvantages to these saddles because they seem like a very good option?

Thanks for the replies. It seems people are leaning a little more towards the Aerohunter or some variation due to it being less restrictive. I talked with my brother who was a lineman and he said he would worry about how comfortable they are for long sits. How long does it take to get set up in one of these if you were using say 4 lone wolf climbing sticks compared to a climber or a fixed stand. I own a climber and a Lone Wolf hang on stand and was considering getting another XOP climber due to feeling safe while climbing but this is very restrictive for the trees I want to hunt out of so I think the saddle is a good alternative but I didn't know how long it takes to use them compared to the others. It seems people who use the Aerohunter are not having comfort issues that were noticed with the Trophyline tree saddles so are there any disadvantages to these saddles because they seem like a very good option?
The aero hunter is designed a little different than the lineman's harnesses, it is optimized for hanging for long periods of time. If you saw one of the first aero hunter designs it was very similar to a regular arborist harness, the second generation was a big change after they received more hunter input.

As far as setting up.. if you want to use 4 lone wolf climbing sticks it will take you less or equal the amount of time it would to put a hang on up with them. You put them up, put up your platform (that is another topic, I suggest you read around the forum on that), hook up your tree tether and hunt.
A climber doesn't even compare to sticks and a saddle because you can hunt almost any tree with a saddle, not so with the climber.

IMO the aero hunter is the best commercial saddle option out there. It is not to bulky, it is very safe, and the craftsmanship is great. They are also holding their values very well in case you were to decide its not for you.

I want to add that I was looking over my aero prior to my hunt. There are some spots where the webbing is starting to fray a little, in particular between the legs where it rubs. I use my gear a lot and hard, and to me it's no reflection on the saddle. New tribe is a great company with a great product.

I want to add that I was looking over my aero prior to my hunt. There are some spots where the webbing is starting to fray a little, in particular between the legs where it rubs. I use my gear a lot and hard, and to me it's no reflection on the saddle. New tribe is a great company with a great product.

I will concur with that. Where it rubs you will see wear more obviously and a good thing to point out. I actually was on the phone with new tribe the other day and spoke with them in detail about ratings and the process they use to achieve the ratings that they do (very nice people btw). You will be hard pressed to find a setup that out of the box so to speak will you find the ratings as high as they have for their product.

There are always disadvantages to each saddle but they are really user specific more or less and after one if I say progresses within this hunting style for terms sake. The gen 2 aero is far more improved over the gen 1 but still has flaws or things left to be desired I guess. As others have stated the web (which I have no experience with) have pros and cons as well. Saddle hunting is extremely customizable and you can't go wrong with either product. Saddle hunting while not new has not really made its way in the mainstream hunting world as of yet. More and more like yourself are looking for the opportunities to hunt where others can't and eventually will either fall to this world or just continue with the ways they are used to. I try to promote saddle hunting in CT but most are reluctant try because they can't break out of the norm. I always encourage those individuals who are interested in making the jump to buy either the web or the aero. Me personally I am on a different path with the sitdrag. This is more of a minimalist approach and feel it should kinda be waited to try out as most beginners are concerned for safety. I am not saying the sitdrag is unsafe however I am just saying the quality of the aero and the web (reported) are great introductory platforms to start with which provide an almost instant safety gratification and they are comfortable too. You just have to go through the breakin period with each and get some hang time at ground level on whichever you choose to get the comfortability factor to where you want it. I personally have done several all day sits in my aero without issue.

Tough to beat a climber for ease/speed/safe feeling. Its an advantage in hill country where you might have to climb 40ft just to be 25ft above a trail. Their downfall as you know is limbs. All, and when I say that I mean ALL have pros and cons. You just have to give each a try and determine what works best for you. I started with a trophyline and left saddle hunting a short time later. Now Im back and minimalist is where Im at. Im getting older and carrying a lot of weight is no fun. A minimalist saddle allows me to go as far as I want as it weighs very little.

If you are concerned about not being able to go as high as a climber you can use the 'one stick technique' after you get as high as your sticks will take you.

Test them all out. Maybe someone in your area has a system they'll let you try?

Also, they all have pretty good resale value so if you find a used on on ebay or on a forum somewhere, you can probably test it out and get all your money back if you don't like it.

Thanks guys. My wife looked at me a little funny but the safety aspect sold her on it so I just need to pick one. I like the weight and maneuverability of the saddle or Aerohunter but I like the comfort aspect of the Web and since I've never used either I would like to start with something that will at least be comfortable. Its good to know that if I don't like it I can return it or sell it for a decent value. I have read that some people have modified the web to get more maneuverability by adding a bridge and then a tree rope similar to the Aerohunter. Does anyone know if you could just purchase the tree rope and bridge from New Tribe or some other site and modify the web to increase shooting ability similar to a saddle? Also are there any recommendations on threads on platforms you would specifically recommend. I have read about some using climb paws and others using a Lone Wolf assassin platform so I'd like to learn more about these options as well. Thanks again for all the input/help.

You can buy rope by the foot, no need to pay new tribe extra money. Use search function on here to find rope, platforms, etc. Red has the forums labeled fairly well, pretty easy to find info here.

I don't know if I would trust myself to make my own tether/tree rope or bridge since I have never done it before. I would need to watch some good videos first.

I don't know if I would trust myself to make my own tether/tree rope or bridge since I have never done it before. I would need to watch some good videos first.
Making your own tether is very easy, and with a couple videos to learn the knots, and some testing of those knots at ground level, you should be fine. It is something good to learn anyway because you should really replace your tether every year or two or so from a safety aspect.

Well guys I am jumping into the saddle crowd. I purchased the Guidos Web today! I know some think it may be too restrictive but I talked to the owner who is a real nice guy and he said they changed the tether system and included a bridge with this system 2 years ago so I thought I should give it a try especially with its comfort. If needed I may need some help from others here on modifications if I think they may be necessary. Some of my brothers think I'm crazy but I'm hoping to be the crazy one behind a big deer this year and then see what they say. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Back