• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Help me tag him

GeoFish

SH Member
I need some advice.
Spent 3 days scouting 2 weeks ago. There more dsys this week. Did sone observation stands and walked my old legs off. Did not see alot of buck sign.
Went back to were I saw a big one last year. Found a ridge that was tore up in buck sign. Three scrapes old big Rubs. Three fresh big Rubs and a bunch of medium rubs. Since all of this sign was layed down before October 28th, I assume this is one of his core areas?
What do you think?

Where are you? Here in NE Ohio that sign gets more daylight huntable around now, but moreso the 24th-25th. It’s going to be cold on Sunday so I’m going to hunt, it’s a touch early vs past years’ data but the cold weather helps. If you have any suspicion where he might bed around there I’d start inching that way.

Sounds like SOMEBODY that identifies as a whitetail buck is using that area. Probably multiple somebodies. Get as close to those signposts as you can for an observation sit or two, and see if it’s worth some more time.

The area is 4 hours away. I am going to go back Nov 6th thru the 19th. I cannot hunt the area on Nov 3, 4 & 5th, youth hunt. Last year he was their early and again on the 18th. I only hunted the area 6 days last year.
One of my questions is and I think I know, do bucks have multiple core areas,?

The area is 4 hours away. I am going to go back Nov 6th thru the 19th. I cannot hunt the area on Nov 3, 4 & 5th, youth hunt. Last year he was their early and again on the 18th. I only hunted the area 6 days last year.
One of my questions is and I think I know, do bucks have multiple core areas,?
Mid to late October they’re more predictable throw that out for the following 4 weeks. Sounds like an amazing right now spot of it’s an option

Mid to late October they’re more predictable throw that out for the following 4 weeks. Sounds like an amazing right now spot of it’s an option
By predictable do you meen bedding here feeding here?

Yes , exactly what I was gettinlastg at…
Wish I could, I am not that smart, LOL.
I am hunting big woods public. So many acorns, crop fields brouse and grasses. This deer, assuming he is the one I saw last year is 5 1/2 or older. With all the hunting pressure deer like that don't move during daylight, IMO.
I hunted that week last year, not much movement. The rut and doe chasing is my only chance. Our rut is supposted to peak Nov 14th. I wish I could hunt before the 6th, but I am too old, LOL.

Back