• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Help removing inserts

Tr33_n1nj@

SH Member
I had some arrows cut down the other day that already had the inserts superglued in. I want to remove the inserts from the cut off ends and reuse them. Any ideas on how to remove the inserts without damaging them? I don’t care about the carbon scraps. Acetone? Field tip and blow torch? Boiling them? Anyone successfully done this before or maybe stayed at a Holliday Inn Express and have a good idea? Thanks in advance.

Take the nock off and slide a drill bit in the arrow shaft - 3/16 or 7/32, chock side first. Cover the hole and whip the arrow sort of like casting a fishing rod so that the drill bit whacks the insert. Repeat until the nock and drill bit go flying across the room.

Take the nock off and slide a drill bit in the arrow shaft - 3/16 or 7/32, chock side first. Cover the hole and whip the arrow sort of like casting a fishing rod so that the drill bit whacks the insert. Repeat until the nock and drill bit go flying across the room.
Second that works like a charm!

They're already cut off right? Heat 'em up. The carbon will basically come apart or at least it has for me every time I've removed inserts from cut pieces.

The drill bit works great on a finished arrow, on your scraps, I would first try soaking in acetone and then trying to push them out.

I put a field point in the insert, grab the carbon shaft with channel locks and heat up the point with a propane torch. If it does not release once the point is hot, put the carbon piece over the torch and heat it up, it will crumble. Just dont inhale the fumes of the burning glue, they are poisonous.

Second that works like a charm!

Drill bit works great. Be careful when the insert comes out not to hit anything like your car door... The added bonus of people not talking to you because there is a grown man waiving a magic wand around is good too.

Ok so I’m putting a drill bit into a 2 inch arrow scrap, and slinging it around. Let’s hope this works...
Oh wait no I’m not, you all failed reading comprehension didn’t you?

Sorry jk, but seriously if you are going to give advice, it helps to know the problem.
I had some arrows cut down the other day that already had the inserts superglued in. I want to remove the inserts from the cut off ends and reuse them.

for a full length, the drill bit thing does work the best. haha. however, you have a small scrap, so I would boil, then hold in a vise and pound something down over the insert, like a drill bit, large nail, something to drive it out once boiled and well heated.

I had some arrows cut down the other day that already had the inserts superglued in. I want to remove the inserts from the cut off ends and reuse them. Any ideas on how to remove the inserts without damaging them? I don’t care about the carbon scraps. Acetone? Field tip and blow torch? Boiling them? Anyone successfully done this before or maybe stayed at a Holliday Inn Express and have a good idea? Thanks in advance.
Use a propane torch. Put a field point in the insert angle heat the field point. The you see a buff of smoke the insert should come out. Iuse this method to remove inserts on carbon arrows and I don't damage the arrow.

I heard that welding aluminum makes it soft and that for max strength it needs to be heat treated again.

Would that be a concern here with putting a lot of heat to the inserts?

Good question.

If true, makes all the times I saw pro shop guys putting a torch on XX75 (super high grade aluminum) arrows seem weird. I know the classes of aluminum come down to the mix of elements in them, but maybe someone in the know can chime in on heat treat.

EDIT:

Yeah, just googled aluminum 7075 heat treat and got tons of hits.

So, super heating any strong aluminum might be like sticking your $150 Benchmade knife in the fire to hot knife some rope.

Why not just take a wedge of some kind and split the arrow scraps?

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

Just be careful when heating up super glue. It can release some irritating and nasty stuff, potentially including cyanide. If you're going to do it, make sure you have good ventilation.

Back