• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Help with saddle comfort

mheichelbech

1st season saddle hunter about to hit the woods 10/1. Still trying to figure out a few things for a more comfortable sit. Any help on these issues would be much appreciated:

1) Getting a lot of strain/pressure on my legs, especially my thighs and back of my thighs. It feels like I am doing squats. I've tried having my knees against the tree and on either side of the tree on screw in steps.

2) When trying the steps on either side of the tree, I am getting a lot of pressure on my feet as if I am constantly battling the tether trying to pull me into the tree....see #3 below.

3) The tether seems to constantly be pulling me against the tree. How can I alleviate this? I know it's physics but I was never that interested in Physics in math/college because I couldn't get the math.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I would suggest a higher tether. I had some hip pinch on Saturday which was less when I moved my tether higher. The force pulling you towards the tree is less the higher your tether is.
Before

After

Last edited:
For getting sucked into the tree sounds like your tether is too high. If you’re leaning try head high, maybe a bit lower. If you’re gonna sit into the tree adjust accordingly

For getting sucked into the tree sounds like your tether is too high. If you’re leaning try head high, maybe a bit lower. If you’re gonna sit into the tree adjust accordingly
Thanks. I have been using the tether at forehead height. I have been using the lean method but I think I'd prefer sitting.

I would suggest a higher tether. I had some hip pinch on Saturday which was less when I moved my tether higher. The force pulling you towards the tree is less the higher your tether is.
Before

After

What is all that stuff you have going on there? Are you using 2 tethers?

Lower tether and also might want to think of a longer bridge or combinations of both. The longer the bridge the less an angle which helps with hip pinch but adjusting the tether lower will also help. You’ll need to play and adjust but I’m sure it will help.

Lower tether and also might want to think of a longer bridge or combinations of both. The longer the bridge the less an angle which helps with hip pinch but adjusting the tether lower will also help. You’ll need to play and adjust but I’m sure it will help.
Thanks I knew I’d have to experiment. Trying to ride on the saddles/shoulders of you guys with the experience to shorten the learning curve.

Easy to buy some webbing and tie on a second bridge that u can tie and retie at various lengths or make or buy a whoopie sling so u are able to easily test out different bridge lengths..... Tether height (lower is better for me and looks like others) and bridge lengths are what u need to be focusing on for more comfortable IMO

1st season saddle hunter about to hit the woods 10/1. Still trying to figure out a few things for a more comfortable sit. Any help on these issues would be much appreciated:

1) Getting a lot of strain/pressure on my legs, especially my thighs and back of my thighs. It feels like I am doing squats. I've tried having my knees against the tree and on either side of the tree on screw in steps.

2) When trying the steps on either side of the tree, I am getting a lot of pressure on my feet as if I am constantly battling the tether trying to pull me into the tree....see #3 below.

3) The tether seems to constantly be pulling me against the tree. How can I alleviate this? I know it's physics but I was never that interested in Physics in math/college because I couldn't get the math.

Thanks!
As far as the tether pulling you into the tree, does Tree you hang on have a lean to it?

I second the cruzr XC. I just sat in my buddies phantom and it felt like I was in a thong compared to the Cruzr. Material size is extremely different. When I had a mantis I wore it pretty low in my waist and that seemed to help with comfort. Good luck and keep adjusting.

JX3. I also cinch my lineman around my bridge closer to the tree. Opens up tremendously a dump shot at 11 to 10 o’clock Additionally I sometimes sit on a 2” foam pad that raises my hips higher To give me additional clearance because I mostly shoot sitting down. But I am not into equipment weight so I love the comfort of a solid back rest and seat saddle. Here’s my JX3 with lineman cinchC829BE0F-E6D4-475C-97EB-0A1BFC95AC18.jpeg

What is all that stuff you have going on there? Are you using 2 tethers?
Essentially, yes. I climb SRT and add a second tether so I can move my climbing line higher then I just leave the second tether in place.

Im new this year too and had same problems until I made my bridge about 2-3" longer and lowered my tether height to neck high, maybe a bit lower and then built a small 10x12" platform on a primal treestep. With those things I can lean/sit comfortable for hours

Little changes in your setup make big differences in comfort. Setup up low in a tree and try small changes. For me, literally lowering the tether from forehead to nose height along with a slight lengthening of the bridge, think 2-3”, made all the difference in shifting the pressure so I didn’t feel it in my legs or back. If I went a tad bit higher on the tether I felt pressure on my legs, lower and it was on my back. Same goes with the bridge length, when I shortened it the 2-3” then I felt some hip pinch and back pain.

There’s lots of fiddle-factor with saddle hunting and I venture most of those who sell their whole setup because “it just wasn’t for me” weren’t willing to take the time to fit it to them.

Wayyyy to much going on in that picture for my liking! That's a lot of interference! But hey, whatever works for you! That's the best part about saddle hunting...

Some things to consider...

You're gonna get a lot of different answers (as seen above) because saddles are comfortable in different ways for different folks. I like my tether lower. My first sit last year I had it like forehead height and my legs were TOAST when I was done that sit. Since then I try to run it somewhere between my neck and chin. I prefer to lean and then sit occasionally. Do what was mentioned above and set up just above ground level. Tether in at forehead height and hang for a few minutes, then move it down a few inches and hang again. Do that until you've found what's comfortable for you. I'd recommend keeping your bridge at the same length for all that. Then if you find something that's more comfortable than what you've currently had, but not ideal, you can adjust the bridge at that tether height.

Again, that's what worked for ME. YMMV. Good luck!

Back