• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Help with tuning arrows

Cript2014

Ok so let me start by saying I have always went to the store and just grabbed some arrows off the shelf slapped a broad head in and shot it. This past year I started dabbing in some arrow tuning and foc. At the moment I’m have my bare shafts infront of me. I have had some help from a guy learning how to and do insert tuning, knock tuning, and bare shaft tuning. Now my question is I’m trying to figure out how you guys know where to put the fletching at when your glueing them. I see a ton of videos on YouTube about this but no one( that I can find) explains how much spacing between fletchings. I know where I want my top fletch because of my knock tune but do I just slap the other two under/beside it? With the set up I’m running I’m trying to get everything as close to perfect as I can. Btw my fletching jig dose one at a time it’s not the one that will put all three on at the same time. I also might be making this waaaaayyyyy harder than it needs to be but figured I’d ask you guys first before I have to take them off and do it again.

360/3 - 120* out from each other. Your jig doesn’t have a way to set it at certain degrees from each other?

No you just rotate the arrow to where you want it then put the fletch on. I bought a very cheap one. Might have to return it and get a better one didn’t realize that some told you where to put the fletchings and others didn’t guess that the difference between $8 and $35-$40 lol.

Yea I haven't made it there yet, I will one day though. Going to try the quick fletch this year on arrows from last year.

I did that last year worked great just trying to figure this out. I like playing with my equipment trying to figure out how it all works. Sometimes that gets me a rabbit hole I end up regretting lol.
Yea I haven't made it there yet, I will one day though. Going to try the quick fletch this year on arrows from last year.

Your jig doesn't rotate/snap to indexed positions? Perhaps a picture would help? Or maybe post brand/model jig you've got?

I don’t remember the name I took it back to academy and got a better one from cabalas this one rotates and clicks just like y’all are saying. Should have spent the extra $20 and not been cheap! Then again that might have been why it didn’t click it twist but didn’t click. Might have been defective. Thanks didn’t know they were supposed to click. That’s why I could figure out where to put the fletchings lol.

I use a Bitzenburger arrow jig. They are expensive but they're worth it. It's hard to help you with out a picture of the jig.

Yea if I had read the post that said that before I returned it I would have posted one. I am going to tackle the fletchings tomorrow now with this new jig. Once I realized it was supposed to click it made sense why I couldn’t figure out where they were supposed to be glued!
I use a Bitzenburger arrow jig. They are expensive but they're worth it. It's hard to help you with out a picture of the jig.

shopping.png
I have a bitzenberger as well. its paid for itself hundreds of times over. Im not sure what kind of jig you have but it should have a knob this the one circled in this pic. After you've glued your fletching on, take the clamp off and you'll turn this knob one click (I do it counter clockwise) and put another fletching on and repeat the process. Hope this helps!!

Bitz is awesome. I’ve had mine for 20 years still good as new. I’ll say no mater which one you get take your time. Index it not just to the click but make sure it is centered in the click. All have a little “wiggle” to them just wiggle it the same every time

Ok so before I complete this I want to get yalls opinions on something. I ended up buying a GT arrow fletcher. I’m looking at the difference in three and four fletched. So my question to you guys is this. I’m running a heavy foc arrow total weight should be about 525-550 gr with 250 of that being in the insert and broad head alone. With you guys being more experienced than me building arrows would the three or four fletched help the arrow any more than the other? Thanks just trying to wrap my head around this and make the best that I can without having to do it 30 times.

Ok so before I complete this I want to get yalls opinions on something. I ended up buying a GT arrow fletcher. I’m looking at the difference in three and four fletched. So my question to you guys is this. I’m running a heavy foc arrow total weight should be about 525-550 gr with 250 of that being in the insert and broad head alone. With you guys being more experienced than me building arrows would the three or four fletched help the arrow any more than the other? Thanks just trying to wrap my head around this and make the best that I can without having to do it 30 times.

I'm shooting 500-575 with 225 up front at a minimum. They fly like lasers with 3 fletch bohning heat vanes. The arrows behave better than anything I've ever shot. Right spine, nock tuned, weight up front.

I shoot small broadheads though - if you're shooting some giant wide fixed blade, and your arrows/bow aren't tuned properly, you made need more steering.

I'm sure others will have different opinions as their experiences will be different than mine. In my experience: three fletch is just as effective with a properly tuned bow. Four fletch will produce a more forgiving arrow flight but can mask tuning issues as well as produce extra noise.

Back