• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

High or Low

GeoFish

SH Member
This is typical for the area I am hunting.
Do you guys like to hunt high or low?
Give me some input.

Screenshot_20231107_155306_Spartan Forge.jpg

hunt higher than where you park your truck so when you kill your deer, its all downhill from there :p

Kidding aside, food is more available low. Then look at the gaps between the high spots.

hunt higher than where you park your truck so when you kill your deer, its all downhill from there :p

Kidding aside, food is more available low. Then look at the gaps between the high spots.
Thanks been looking high. Found some buck sign.
Going scouting low tomorrow. Only going to hit 80 degrees tomorrow.

It's super situational.

Usually, near the top but not on the top, is best....but it depends upon the sign.

Keep in mind that soils at the top are harder and thinner (better drained, more erosion) and don't hold sign like in the bottoms. So, you'll sometimes think there is more activity at lower elevations simply because it's easier to "stomp a cow path" when the soil is twice as thick and wet half the time.

Where ever the deer are. In the mountain area here where I have been scouting and just started hunting, last year there was a lot of buck sign high from last season. But there was also a lot of acorns high last year. This year there are basically no acorns high anywhere I have been and no sign either of any kind. All the deer I have seen and all the sign I have found is low in and around thick cover areas with lots of browse and some acorns.

Extremely situational. Following the sign can lead you to your demise in the Mtns. Generally where I find the best sign are unhuntable locations. Where the true wind smashes into those rising thermals often holds great sign, but you're gunna get busted every time.

Low early morning or late evening, high just above a good bench or drainage crossing the rest of the day in the rut.

Thanks been looking high. Found some buck sign.
Going scouting low tomorrow. Only going to hit 80 degrees tomorrow.
When it's unseasonably warm like that I prefer lower bottoms where the cool air resides.

Back