• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

High shade Food Plot Mix

shmelton

SH Member
What have y’all been successful with? I’ve been looking at the Tecomate Shake and Rake. It claims to grow in about anything. I’m wanting to put a plot in a creek bottom that is prone to flooding a couple times a yr. The soil is sandy from the silt, and it’s high shade. The polt will be just a small patch, maybe 30x15. I can’t get a tractor in there so broad casting by hand and a rake is my only option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watching.

If anyone has feed plot options that work in pine shelter belts I'd love to hear about it.

In my experience not much is going to do great in a spot like that. But it really doesnt have to do great, it just needs to do some to be beneficial. I would prolly try the evolved harvest 7 card stud. I have seen it do decent in a similar type spot.

I’ve had success with regular old fall polt mix and 10-10-10 in pine stands. Make sure you plant where some sun can get through. Like where there are two different age groups of pines. It helps if they have been thinned too. You can get rye to grow on concrete, if it’s watered enough.

I prefer to buy seed individually instead of a "blend". Only because I can tailor it to the site.
Ground prep is more important than the seed. That being said, we've been using Merit out of Ohio and have been very satisfied.

Rye, white clover and lime are probably the things I would pack in to a spot like that. Along with a saw to thin a patch out for better sunlight if allowed

I prefer to buy seed individually instead of a "blend". Only because I can tailor it to the site.
Ground prep is more important than the seed. That being said, we've been using Merit out of Ohio and have been very satisfied.
I generally agree but for that small of a spot, a bagged mix is tough to beat. The last couple of years we actually switched from making our own mix to using green cover seed mixes. It was mostly out of necessity because the seed dealer we had been using relocated a little over an hour away the wrong direction. We couldnt find a dealer that reliably had the seed we wanted so we tried green cover and the plots have done great. Drill it and pray for moisture lol.

Back