• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hiking/hunting boot?

NMSbowhunter

SH Member
Here is what I am looking for. I have been using rubber boots for a long time to hunt in. I love the scent free aspect of rubber but generally they get pretty uncomfortable on the long walks into public land that I do. I want to find a good, comfortable pair of hiking boots to try for hunting. I am not really concerned with warmth as much as comfort for walking. I have a set of 1000 gram Danner's for really cold weather, but they are heavy and bulky. I want a light weigh pair that will really last. A lot of the ones I've looked at in the stores seemed thick or clunky, if that makes sense. Also, I have twisted my ankles several times in my life so I would like something with some ankle support. Thanks in advance for suggestions and experience.

I'm a big fan of my Lowa Renegade GTX's. They're a mid-height boot, easy to lace up, and seem to be high quality after a season of use. A couple notes, though: (1) I had to get them in Wide, despite not owning any other wide shoes; and (2) the insoles suck (like many boots on the store shelf), but with the right ones, I can hike miles and miles without discomfort. I pair mine with some First Lite lightweight boot gaiters, which serves the dual purpose of keeping ticks off (they're treated heavily with permethrin) and keeping sticks and leaves out of my boots.

Here is what I am looking for. I have been using rubber boots for a long time to hunt in. I love the scent free aspect of rubber but generally they get pretty uncomfortable on the long walks into public land that I do. I want to find a good, comfortable pair of hiking boots to try for hunting. I am not really concerned with warmth as much as comfort for walking. I have a set of 1000 gram Danner's for really cold weather, but they are heavy and bulky. I want a light weigh pair that will really last. A lot of the ones I've looked at in the stores seemed thick or clunky, if that makes sense. Also, I have twisted my ankles several times in my life so I would like something with some ankle support. Thanks in advance for suggestions and experience.

Something like this may be what you are looking for. Nice ankle support but still lightweight. A lot of military types wore these daily and nightly in Afghan terrain and loved them. Hope this helps. There are a ton of options out there. These will not help with foot warmth at all though (just a heads up).

I bought a pair of Lacrosse Atlas last year that I really like. They're sort of a cross between a rubber boot and a hiker.

Something like this may be what you are looking for. Nice ankle support but still lightweight. A lot of military types wore these daily and nightly in Afghan terrain and loved them. Hope this helps. There are a ton of options out there. These will not help with foot warmth at all though (just a heads up).
I have the X Ultras and the Quests, good boots especially for the money.

Second the Lowa renegades, they are my daily wear boot. For hills and mountains I prefer my crispi valdres. It has a little more upper support and a little more mid sole stiffness but not a full on mountaineering boot.

I’ve been a lifelong wearer of Danner boots which are very durable and comfortable…until I tried on a pair of Lowa’s. They are the most comfortable thing I’ve ever put on my feet. My son thought the same thing and promptly “acquired” them from me so I’m now wearing Belleville’s until I can afford another pair of Lowa’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a pair of lowa Tibet and crispi guide both in goretex. Both are supremely comfortable with L&S insoles. The tibets are much stiffer sole and a little heavier.

If you’re walking 100 yards to a mile, they’ll feel heavier and less enjoyable than some super lightweight synthetic hikers. Strap on 50lbs, hit some mountain terrain, or break 5 miles in a day, and you’ll see the joy good boots bring.

I wear them alternately, with a slight preference for the tibets. I won’t wear rubber boots. I am either wearing these boots or my chota hippies/wading boots to hunt deer.

One reminder of you go with expensive leather boots - follow instructions on treatment and conditioning. They won’t be able to replace rinds if certain chemicals are used.

I just bought a pair of Asolo Hunter Extreme. Little different than other boots I’ve owned but I’m tired of blowing out boots in a season or 2. I normally wear Upland hunting boots but the lack of durability is getting old. I generally do around 2.5-3 miles a day during season and turkey season gets about 5 times that.

I'm a big fan of my Lowa Renegade GTX's. They're a mid-height boot, easy to lace up, and seem to be high quality after a season of use. A couple notes, though: (1) I had to get them in Wide, despite not owning any other wide shoes; and (2) the insoles suck (like many boots on the store shelf), but with the right ones, I can hike miles and miles without discomfort. I pair mine with some First Lite lightweight boot gaiters, which serves the dual purpose of keeping ticks off (they're treated heavily with permethrin) and keeping sticks and leaves out of my boots.

The Lowa Renegade GTX is also my favorite uninsulated boot.

The tread is aggressive, they are water tight, they are reasonably light and comfortable, durable, and made in a NATO country (Slovakia, which I prefer to China).

I normally wear a wide, and the wide in the Lowa's is barely enough. I had to remove the insole to use my flat feet orthotics (hard plastic and go half length of shoe) and have enough room in the toe. They work great like that though.

Altra Lone Peak Mid
Hoka Stinson GTX
Lowa Renegade GTX

i loved the low cut altra lone peak waterproof shoes, most comfortable i've tried and lightest

but the waterproof membrane is on the outside of the shoe with hardly any protective covering

the first time i stepped on a stick wrong, it tore into the shoe enough that now they aren't waterproof (this took 1 week of us in the woods scouting to occur)

Salomon makes a great boot/shoe. They’re very comfortable, supportive enough for most situations, and aren’t so stiff that they require a lot of break-in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@raisins knock on wood mine have held up well this summer. I put 12 miles on em Monday without issue. Altras seem to struggle with durability overall. Amazingly comfortable and lightweight tho!

@raisins knock on wood mine have held up well this summer. I put 12 miles on em Monday without issue. Altras seem to struggle with durability overall. Amazingly comfortable and lightweight tho!

i hope yours hold up.....i wish they came in a slightly heavier version with a thin, durable covering

I decided I had to make the switch away from muck / lacrosse boots after my first out of state public land hunt in the hill country of SE Ohio... rubber boots really f'd me up. Following that trip I talked to guys frequently heading out west on elk hunts and this was the most frequently recommended boot among those I spoke to. Made a bunch of trips to stores that carried various brands (Kenetrek, Zamberlan, Crispi, HanWag, Salomon, Danner, Lowa, Scarpa, etc... even Keen) and kept on looking until I found a boot that felt amazing to MY FEET.

Ended up with the Crispi Birksdal uninsulated for my go to hunting boot. Only exception is when hunting an area where rubber boots are essential, such as a swampy or marshy areas. I am able to regulate foot temperature with high quality socks and surprisingly, have less issues with my feet getting cold during late season than I've ever had with rubber boots.

I also have a pair of the Crispi Avante Mid (goretex) I use in early season and scouting. Really like them but just don't cut it for late season but are much better than the Birksdals during early season.

Best recommendation I have is to keep an open mind and try as many makes/models as you can find access to. Make notes for comparison, make multiple trips if necessary, and don't settle until you find a pair that feel amazing on your feet and address your needs (support, rigidity/flex, weight, etc)... YOUR FEET may absolute love a lower priced boot and hate a higher priced boot or the exact opposite. Budget matters but don't think a high priced or even a low priced boot will answer your needs just because it fits yiur budget. Everyones feet are different and you may find you get uncomfortable pressure points in a boot that all of your buddies swear by. But if your feet aren't comfortable, long hikes through tough terrain into an all day sit during prime time won't be enjoyable. Just find the boot that works best for you and if it is out of your budget at the time, start saving, and keep rocking the boots you have until you have enough tucked away to buy the boots you want because your feet told you they were the ones....

Originally, I was hell bent on a particular Salomon boot because I thought for sure it was "the one". After finally getting my feet into a pair, they were not comfortable on my feet at all. Ended up taking me two years to finally settle on the Crispi Birksdal boots but after two seasons of use in various types of terrain and over 150 miles of walking, I don't regret it at all. Only have some minor scratches in the leather from thorns but other than that, still in great condition.

Whatever you end up with, just have to take care of them such as keeping them clean after use and conditioning the leather (if you chose leather). If you take care of them, they'll take care of you.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I’m a Crispi fan I have been wearing the Idaho’s uninsulated and bought a pair of Lapponia Evo XT’s ( I like these so much i wear them everywhere and will have another pair for hunting.

I plan to go try on some next week. They stock Crispi and Obozs and maybe a couple of other pairs. I definitely want to try on several different brands and styles. Thanks for all the input so far. I plan to do a lot of walking this upcoming season and I need something that will be kind to my feet and knees.

Back