• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hip replacement!?!?

Knik

I hate to even bring this up, but looks like I'm going to have one done. So....how many of you guys have had this done before season and how was it getting back in the saddle? Probably July 24 for me, season starts here in Tn Sept.28 I believe. Honestly believe 2 months is enough time, anyone have any experience?

Don't slack off with the exercises they give you and don't just sit on your butt waiting to heal and you'll be climbing trees by the end of September. I've had both of mine replaced, first one when I was 52. I had it done on a Thursday, went to church on Sunday and went to a job interview on Monday (on crutches of course). I was riding a dirt bike 2 months afterwards.
A lot of it depends on the doctor that does the surgery. My first surgery was done as an outpatient surgery. I had a 4" incision and healed real quickly. Awesome doctor but he retired before I needed my other hip replaced. The second doctor was competent but not great. I was older too, late 50's which probably didn't help any. This doctor made a larger incision and it definitely took longer to heal.

I haven't had one done but my neighbor has had both. What @ricky racer speaks is the truth. Make sure you follow discharge instructions and do exercises. She had her first one done a few years back and was hobbling around pretty quick. Just had her other one done and was walking the dog a couple days later. She runs marathons, was out practicing a couple weeks later and participating a month or so after that. She's in her late 50s. Sitting on your ass and eating like a pig will mess you up. Move around and eat healthy, get your body some nutrients.

I have heard the same from many others that have been worked on. I'm just wondering about sitting in a saddle 2 months after the procedure. Something pressing in on the side of your hip might be alot different than hiking or walking. No stranger to the term hip pinch and what that means, been doing line work for 26 years. One thing I'll say, my Flex is 100x more comfortable than my climbing belt. This will be my first season in a saddle and I'm really looking forward to it.

As a relatively young guy, I would recommend looking into hip resurfacing surgery instead of complete hip replacement. It preserves bone (in case a revision is needed down the line).

Two friends of mine went the hip resurfacing route. One after exhaustive research. At the time, resurfacing was not as prevalent, but i think it is more widespread now.

Good luck and follow the post op Physical Therapy exactly. That is where you gain the most mobility back.

I hate to even bring this up, but looks like I'm going to have one done. So....how many of you guys have had this done before season and how was it getting back in the saddle? Probably July 24 for me, season starts here in Tn Sept.28 I believe. Honestly believe 2 months is enough time, anyone have any experience?
Had my hip replaced over two & a half years ago 2 days after the season started. Was back using my climber in 3 weeks and using my saddle in six weeks. My hip was 80 percent back in two months but other 20 percent took another 6 months. my hip is now 100 percent!

You can. I had it done at 60. Doctor told me for rehab to walk, walk some more, and then walk after that lol. It worked for me

My Doctor gave me some exercises to do and told me to walk too. I had mine done in February and up here in Michigan, walking outdoors with crutches isn't real easy so my wife and I would drive to our local Rural King store and walk around the store. They have skids of dog food, grass seed and other things that allowed me to stop and sit down on the bags to take a break when needed. Do the work and you'll be fine.

I had both hips replaced 15 and 17 years ago at 55 years old. Hip pinch was a problem as well as my knees are shot and knee pads didn't help. This spring I made a new larger saddle and started climbing drt having the tie in 10 or 15 ft above platform takes the pressure off my hips and knees. Can stay for hours longer now and be comfortable. Good luck on surgery. Follow rehab its pretty routine surgery nowadays.

Got her took care of this morning and just got home. I'm absolutely amazed with this doctor and the whole process, they had me up walking around in no time. I actually have mobility in my hip and leg that has been absent for 3yrs, I'm stoked to say the least. Hopefully with therapy and determination I'll be rocking and rolling in 5 or 6 weeks. No stitches or staples either, just glue and tape.20200724_193442.jpg

Got her took care of this morning and just got home. I'm absolutely amazed with this doctor and the whole process, they had me up walking around in no time. I actually have mobility in my hip and leg that has been absent for 3yrs, I'm stoked to say the least. Hopefully with therapy and determination I'll be rocking and rolling in 5 or 6 weeks. No stitches or staples either, just glue and tape.View attachment 30827
Glad to hear it! Get it all healed up I know no one has Said it but praying for a quick recovery!

Thanks for the prayers guys, God is Good and He is the one that said "Rise, Kill, and Eat"..... I'm on a mission to do just that come September, from the saddle. :)
Good deal! You won't even think about it in another couple of months

Back