• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hold your Breath

Jammintree

SH Member
How do you folks who are serious about scent control deal with your breath? Exhalation is a clear source of a great deal of moisture vapor and potentially scent. For those of you who go to great extents to control your body and clothing scent, what do you do to manage your breath?

How do you folks who are serious about scent control deal with your breath? Exhalation is a clear source of a great deal of moisture vapor and potentially scent. For those of you who go to great extents to control your body and clothing scent, what do you do to manage your breath?
[/QUOTE
chlorophyll cough drops and scent lock Covid mask.
Or hold your breath.
I don’t think I can go that far with my scent control regime.

I drink 1 bottle of Tink's before every hunt! lol. Seriously though, I am quite a scent nut so after I take my scent free shower with Hunter Specialties Green soap, I use their Scent Away toothpaste and deoderant then when I get in my tree I have a Scentlok full head cover that comes up over my mouth and nose. I've used Hunter Specialties & Scentlok products for years and very seldom get busted even if deer get downwind of me. Had it happen a couple of times last season as a matter of fact. Didn't get busted once last season.

In one of Gene Wensels books he talked about two hunters he knew that went vegan during deer season. They heard the Indians did this before a big hunt. I called Gene got their phone numbers and talked to them both. These guys were more extream then John Eberhart.

In one of Gene Wensels books he talked about two hunters he knew that went vegan during deer season. They heard the Indians did this before a big hunt. I called Gene got their phone numbers and talked to them both. These guys were more extream then John Eberhart.

You know, I was wondering about this idea for a different reason. One of my favorite books, Lonesome Dove, has a character who is a talented horse thief. Before any big raid, he eats nothing but bitter herbs and swears that it keeps the horses calm when he approaches them. It's just a book, but it made me wonder if deer (or horses, for that matter) can smell something in our sweat that indicates we are meat eaters...??

That is completely crazy in my opinion. Guys more extreme than Eberhart may need to be committed haha.

I think one of them wore hip waiders to walk through the woods.
Confession time. I do this a lot just because I hunt a lot of wet areas. There have been tines where I cross a creek or swamp and then just leave them on to my stand. I have had several deer cross my trail and not react to ground scent.

I have 0 faith in that observation, but here I am making it.

Like any other odor precaution, we do the best we can and accept that we will have different outcomes from hunter to hunter. Our body chemists aren't the same, environmental conditions can vary from hour to hour, and the herd's tolerance for certain levels of human odor will certainly vary.
We can never become odorless but we can improve the situation.
Humans emit dozens of various odors and we don't really know exactly which of those human odors are the ones that deer may react negatively to.
Do deer react to the odor created in our mouth or is it actual lung odor? I don't think we really know which of our various odors alarm deer. I don't believe all of our odors are "equal" to the nose of a deer. And I'm not sure that our lungs actually produce alarming odor. I believe it's the actual mouth odor the deer may, or may not react to. If someone with "bad breath" breathes strictly out of their nose we really don't smell their breath like we do when that person breathes strictly thru their mouth. It's an oral hygiene thing, not a lung thing.
Oral bacterial growth is what causes odor so how do we reduce oral bacteria? Clean our mouth beyond just brushing our teeth.
Sure, brush well. Odors emit from the tongue as well so brush that too. Floss before each and every hunt. Rinse with hydrogen peroxide. I also use SmartMouth 12 hour mouth wash. And each of our tooth and gum structure is different. I can brush and floss very well but there are still some spots around my gums at the wisdom teeth that hold plaque. I use one of these gizmos to clean below the gum line. 20230211_080251.jpg

Eat an apple, or pears
Apples definitely have odor reducing qualities. I eat 2 or 3 apples during every hunt. By the time the season is over, I'm kinda sick of eating apples. But they do reduce odor. When we were teens, we'd eat apples to eliminate certain types of smoke breath we somehow had :sunglasses:

Me too! Aka: I eat apples too...but mostly so I can throw out apple cores and plant apple trees where I hunt ....oh you do need to leave a little fruit on them to ensure fertilizer for the seeds ;)

Anybody ever use TheraBreath mouthwash? I don’t know what’s in it but the stuff definitely takes the stink out of your breath for a long while.

Back