• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Home made platform

JJDolanIV

Hi guy's im going to be new to saddle hunting this year as im waiting on my saddle to arrive from tethrd! In the mean time ive been getting all my gear ready so when it does arrive I'll be set to practice asap. So I decided that I was going to decide to build my own platform! Took me a week to get the materials together and the process began. This is my platform made of raw material from the ground up. It weight just over 4 lbs and is really solid. Its not finished yet but I've finally been able to stand on it and i was surprised how solid it was. What do yall think?

Attachments

• 20180803_185622~2-1.jpg
    20180803_185622~2-1.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 313
Looks good. How did you go about it?
Kinda went about it randomly. Having access to a welder and knowing how to weld was a plus for sure. I used a drive shaft out of a weedeater to make the main platform. The whole outside peice is one solid peice just heated and bent to the form I wanted and size the actual platform was the hardest part I am going to half tp add a couple bottom supports from the front to the platform stopper to strengthen the front but its held on to the C channel aluminium post with all thread and used some new hydraulic hose for a bushing to prevent squeaking. Im 185 lbs and I felt comfortable on it to stand up as it is now once I have my saddle this will do just fine

IMG_8504.JPG IMG_8504.JPG IMG_8502.JPG IMG_8504.JPG IMG_8502.JPG Awsome work . I wish I had your welding skills . I made my own platform also. That being said I really don`t want to hijack your thread so more on mine later but here's a few pics. I changed the camo colors so it looks broken up from below now . I`ll update later. 21 oz without the ratchet strap. Sorry about the duplicates . I suck at this.

I searched Ebay for the footrest portion which is from an electric wheelchair. I modified a big game turkey hunting seat using a couple of left over parts from one of my Muddy stands I converted to Muddy quik mount. The round knob and upper cleat . One hi tensile 5-16 bolt . I know thats kinda vague but I can post more in depth info for you in a bit. It was really easy to build.
This is the OG platform I bought for 22 bucks. Shoprider Streamer Sport 888WA And Other Power Wheelchair Footrest Platform
and Big Game Treestands Slimline Tree is what I used for the bracket . I just cut and grind to fit . I found a new foot rest for 22 dollars like the one pictured here. I wanted a new one for obvious reasons. The seat I got from a friend who was throwing it out. Then McGiver showed up.

Attachments

• 712f9199-69e6-4953-a755-4a0c7c5881b1_1.4f2ccab1e0fc1875803451e7f58567aa.jpeg
    712f9199-69e6-4953-a755-4a0c7c5881b1_1.4f2ccab1e0fc1875803451e7f58567aa.jpeg
    31.7 KB · Views: 126
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 129
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guy's im going to be new to saddle hunting this year as im waiting on my saddle to arrive from tethrd! In the mean time ive been getting all my gear ready so when it does arrive I'll be set to practice asap. So I decided that I was going to decide to build my own platform! Took me a week to get the materials together and the process began. This is my platform made of raw material from the ground up. It weight just over 4 lbs and is really solid. Its not finished yet but I've finally been able to stand on it and i was surprised how solid it was. What do yall think?

Looks nice. Might need to add something to make it slip proof? Looks like it might be slick ?

I was assured by the scooter company the the foot rest is rated at 300 lbs which means it tested much more. As for the slip risk I already added plasti dip coating which is rubber based. Works well. I plan on using the platform in addition to the ring of steps and the plan is one ratchet strap for both keeping all at one level. I have been practicing using this system and am comfortable with moving around the tree in various shooting positions. I weigh 195lbs and have been trying to break this stuff while I`m close to the ground. No such luck so I`m pretty happy about using them at hunting height. I added camo tape to the bracket and my own custom camo pattern lol which all but disappears in the tree. I`ll try to do a video for those of you interested .
FYI
Many suitable platforms and brackets are very easily converted to this kind of use. Beware of alterations to these and the structural integrity of the same as they were not specifically made and tested to hold a full grown 195 lb senior jumping around a tree 30 feet up . Despite really trying to dislodge or break this thing it has built confidence in me as it does just fine. Greg has a beautiful platform designed and tested for this . Purpose built and a specific to saddle hunting its a great product @ 165.00 dollars . Mine is much less $ and easy to make . I`m sure you will see lots of platform variations. Mine is perfect for me . You can make one perfect for you. It took me a couple of hours using basic tools . No welding , folds for packing .quiet , light and rock solid with two cleats to grip laterally and a looped ratchet strap securing everything to the tree. I`ll try as I said earlier to post a DIY type video soon. Thanks for your interest and comments . I luv this stuff.

I was assured by the scooter company the the foot rest is rated at 300 lbs which means it tested much more. As for the slip risk I already added plasti dip coating which is rubber based. Works well. I plan on using the platform in addition to the ring of steps and the plan is one ratchet strap for both keeping all at one level. I have been practicing using this system and am comfortable with moving around the tree in various shooting positions. I weigh 195lbs and have been trying to break this stuff while I`m close to the ground. No such luck so I`m pretty happy about using them at hunting height. I added camo tape to the bracket and my own custom camo pattern lol which all but disappears in the tree. I`ll try to do a video for those of you interested .
FYI
Many suitable platforms and brackets are very easily converted to this kind of use. Beware of alterations to these and the structural integrity of the same as they were not specifically made and tested to hold a full grown 195 lb senior jumping around a tree 30 feet up . Despite really trying to dislodge or break this thing it has built confidence in me as it does just fine. Greg has a beautiful platform designed and tested for this . Purpose built and a specific to saddle hunting its a great product @ 165.00 dollars . Mine is much less $ and easy to make . I`m sure you will see lots of platform variations. Mine is perfect for me . You can make one perfect for you. It took me a couple of hours using basic tools . No welding , folds for packing .quiet , light and rock solid with two cleats to grip laterally and a looped ratchet strap securing everything to the tree. I`ll try as I said earlier to post a DIY type video soon. Thanks for your interest and comments . I luv this stuff.

weight of just the wheelchair platform? I would also love to know how far down a rabbit hole you have to go to end up finding this. Excellent find!

I would think so. I`m not sure about drilling any more holes . I have another set of cleats I might try out. The platform does pretty well when I try and move it laterally. I will be using the platform and steps combo on the same ratchet strap. Maybe I will try that out.

I guess I thought that this platform was hard plastic, but I do see looking online that its sand cast aluminum. Looks like it has the same type adjustment screw for where it hits the tubing as well, I might have to try this build.

Exactly . Cast aluminum . I went on ebay and found a brand new one for 40 bucks then won the bidding at 22 dollars. The adjustment screw is the same style as on the XOP seat platform. I ground it off to facilitate the retro fitting of the seat to the bracket. The platform is the perfect size if you want a place to put your feet while leaning or to stand on and stretch a bit. Easy to make too.

Back