• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hot Pocket

zer0

Problem:
giphy.gif

The basics:
My saddle cuts off access to any pockets, for a quick stash of the hands on a warm up. Gloves are a NO GO, as are those little chemical packets.

Solution:
Sew up a hand muff, using left over material originally sourced for a hammock under quilt.

hotpocket.4.jpg

It checks the saddle hunter basics. Light, and packable, with bonus points for sewing your own gear.........while in crocs

hotpocket.5.jpg

Insulation used is apex climashield, rated for temps below freezing.

Good job making it!!! Is it going to be noisy when it is cold? FWIW I was looking for quiet subfreezing temperature material and emailed Ripstopbytheroll. They advised I should look at their 1.6 hyper D. That project is going to be an off season 1 though.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

@Wirrex
PM'd

@Homebrew454
I would doubt that 1.6 Hyper D is any less quiet than the 1.1 ripstop used for this build. In my experience, lightweight fabrics used in camping gear are not known for their silent approach.

@Wirrex
PM'd

@Homebrew454
I would doubt that 1.6 Hyper D is any less quiet than the 1.1 ripstop used for this build. In my experience, lightweight fabrics used in camping gear are not known for their silent approach.
That's what I was thinking as well. I figured an email couldn't hurt. I'd go straight fleece but I didn't want the additional weight.

Is the little bit of noise going to be any less intrusive than all the movement to get lined up?

The only shot to pull off with your hands buried in that muff is a good ole finger bang.
giphy.gif

When did fleece become heavy?
Great work though man. I've been pondering on doing one myself. Probably all fleece.
Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

It is much heavier than most ripstop material. It all adds up quickly.

I was thinking of making an “under quilt” for my butt for when it gets cold.

I was thinking of making an “under quilt” for my butt for when it gets cold.
I will be making one of these as well. Just waiting for Primaloft gold to get back in stock at Ripstopbytheroll.

@Wirrex
PM'd

@Homebrew454

HyperD 1.6 is noticeably quieter than most lightweight ripstop nylon. I’ve tried pretty much all of them...my future son-in-law is the General Manager of Ripstop By The Roll.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"It checks the saddle hunter basics. Light, and packable, with bonus points for sewing your own gear.........while in crocs "

This is why I love the saddle hunter web site community.

Back