• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How are you all getting your bow up the tree

johnw91

I know this has probably been discussed but I can't seem to use the search function very well in the forum.

I am curious how everyone is getting their bow up the tree with them while saddle hunting? I have used a rope for years and I cannot stand it. It gets tangled on branches, tangled in briers on the ground, gets knotted up, etc.

I am debating using the tree spider but am worried about placement considering I will be carrying my platform in my back as well. Any advice at all is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I use a Lewis strapper retriever. I think many guys use the Doyle's huntin hoist. What I like about the strapper retriever is the strap is wide enough that I have no problem pulling or lowering heavier weights. I have used it may times to pull up old home made heavy lock on stands. If I was going to try a Doyle's it would be the strap version for that reason.

Last edited:
Old fashioned DYI pull up rope for me still. It can be a pain but for the most part it works for me in majority of situations. I used to use the HSS wind up deal they sell but absolutely HATE the ribbon they use. Talk about getting tangled in everything! If there was even a mouse fart of a breeze it would just drift wherever it wanted to go and you can guarantee it would tangle in something.

Might consider trying the Doyle’s hoist. Looks pretty handy. Not the ribbon version though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the HSS thing and haven’t had much trouble with the ribbon. Yeah it’s light but you’re always going to have weight on the end of it to keep the line tight. If you roll out 30ft of slack and then climb 20 I can see where that would be an issue.

its cheap, light, and quiet. Worth a a try at least

I have used parador in the past and just tie a slipknot on around a limb and had it tied off to a molle loop on my saddle and just pulled it up. Quick and easy. Just wound it up around my hand after and tied it together for storage. But now I use a doyles gear hoist. It is bulkier and heavier for sure, but super simple and I'm not walking miles and miles into the woods, so I don't see it as a real negative.

Old fashioned haul line.
Wrap it up in the figure 8 wrap and it will never get tangled.
Also never have your bow laying where you would land in the event of a fall.
@fbwguy have you ever considered what it would be like to fall with a quiver full of broadheads attached to you?
And there are times that I need to squirm between branches during my climb. Sometimes there is barely enough space for me to fit thru, let alone have a bow hanging off of me.

Last edited:
I've been using P-Cord with with cheap-o beaners tied on as long as I can remember. It knots up from time to time and can be a pain in the dark but it gets the job done.

Old fashioned haul line.
Wrap it up in the figure 8 wrap and it will never get tangled.
Also never have your bow laying where you would land in the event of a fall.
@fbwguy have you ever considered what it would be like to fall with a quiver full of broadheads attacked to you?
And there are times that I need to squirm between branches during my climb. Sometimes there is barely enough space for me to fit thru, let alone have a bow hanging off of me.
I guess there are some scenarios that I’d not contemplated. But so far it’s worked for me. But you have very valid points. Pun Intended

I use a Doyles now because I don’t like having to recoil up the paracord. The figure 8 method with the paracord works well, I used to tie a big loop in the tag end, slip it through my top cam and put it on my stabilizer for the climb up and slip it through the bottom cam around the stabilizer for lowering the bow so the arrow fletches dont get caught on brush or limbs

I have always used some paracord and figure 8 for storage.. this year, I’m using the fancy, overpriced Mathews pull rope haha. It came with the silent connect system. Hey it works though

Back