• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How are you carrying your repel rope?

Chandler96

SH Member
I have tried a roll pouch, water bottle pouch, and a dump pouch....didn't really love any of them....I know I'm running out of things to try but anyone have any other suggestions?

I have tried a roll pouch, water bottle pouch, and a dump pouch....didn't really love any of them....I know I'm running out of things to try but anyone have any other suggestions?
I tried all the above, including keeping it in my backpack and am back to my roll pouch as it seems to be the best of the worst for me. I do not like to take my backpack off at the tree and I climb with my rappel rope so I am stuck with something on my saddle.

I've only been rappeling for just over a year but just have rope looped up and hung on loopable gear tie (but not sure if even need the loopable version) -kinda like a cowboy carrying a laso- and it has been great. Quick, simple, secure, and no tangles yet, so not bothering to figure 8 it.

Walk in and out with it there as well with no issues.

I keep mine in my pack. Lately only been hunting 12ft or so and I just 2tc back down most of the time. I have oplux rope that doesn’t take up a lot of space.

I use a MOLLE waist pack. Bigger than it needs to be, but it fits my rappel line and tether and has room for 2TC gear and probably an afternoon's worth of Little Debbies (depending on your rate of snack cake consumption). Instead of wearing it in, I loop the waist belt around my 1-stick and strap the both of them to my pack.

currently I'm using a Roll pouch. Its ok but i've thought about just putting it in my backpack. After reading this post, I have a camo fanny pack that just may do the trick and strap it to my pack.
Another way is to just use your rappel rope as your tether and hang from it during the hunt.

Great question. I really don't like anything hanging from the saddle when hunting. Recently I added quick clips to my saddle and dump pouches. I usually don't wear anything while walking in but pouches are attached to my saddle when I climb then taken off after I'm at height. After I rappel down the ropes go back into the pouches then back into my backpack, along with my saddle. I'm still pretty new to all this so my system has been evolving.

Wrap it in a figure 8, fold loops together, strap to saddle.
Pics of how I do a similar thing. Got the idea from this site a couple years ago, tried it and never looked back. It doesn't ever get in the way, deploys easy.
b59527a23bebe216fb37c144674cc1bf.jpg
e8da322f55e5c5faa4ee79fdff77caa1.jpg

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Pics of how I do a similar thing. Got the idea from this site a couple years ago, tried it and never looked back. It doesn't ever get in the way, deploys easy.

Do you use it like a roll pouch in that you only feed what you need and keep the rest of it attached to your saddle until come down time?

I use mine to haul the backpack and my bow up so it goes in the pack for walk in anf hangs down while climbing. Might sew a pouch for it at some point that has little pockets for recovery line and keeping metal objects quiet.

Me personally I actually prefer to still use a separate rope to pull my bow up. Backpack is on when I climb. This way when I get to hunting height I go ahead and attach that separate rope to my quick link as it doubles as my retrieval rope and I don't have to remember to do it later
Yeah, it’s all situationally dependent for me. One stick, multiple sticks, .5, extra clothes, etc. Just depends on what you’re comfortable with! I’m sure most of us have tried pretty much every option and settled on what works for us! Good luck to all this season.

That's really slick. I gotta say, though, at the end of a dark, cold, November sit I wanna just stuff the line into a bag and get it home to sort out in the warm and dry.

This year I’ve started carrying my rope in the lid of my Exo pack, I’ve been clipping the quick link to my saddle with a stealth stripped extra carabiner on my saddle. I attach my pack to the end of the rope for raising and lowering with a bowline knot.

Trying something new this season, running a bare naked saddle. Took all my pouches off, I'm putting everything in my backpack. I put my rappel rope in the right hand side pouch and everything that I need while I'm climbing goes in one waistbelt pockets of my pack. I keep my Doyle's in a small pouch that I mollied near the middle bottom of my pack. So far I have done about a half dozen climbs and it's been working well.

Back