• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How big a boy are ya…… climbing system question?

jsthntn

SH Member
I’m committed to go the Tree Hopper drill and grade 8 bolts method. I started thinking maybe I should check and see what size feller them bolts can handle? Havnt gotten everything in yet and hoping they will hold me. So y’all that use these grade 8 bolts. How big a boy are ya???
Thanks In advance !!

I am 6'3" 250ish. Only use grade eight bolts and sink them the length of the drill bit. You will be fine.

Thanks!! Good to hear. I’m a cube shaped 5’11” 265lb corn fed fella. I would love to hear from a feller or two that are 280+ doing ok with them.

Go throw 2 in a tree in your backyard and jump around on them. You are seriously just climbing on them and then hunting off a platform of some point. Check the specs on grade 8, you are a bad bad man if you do any damage to those bolts.

Go throw 2 in a tree in your backyard and jump around on them. You are seriously just climbing on them and then hunting off a platform of some point. Check the specs on grade 8, you are a bad bad man if you do any damage to those bolts.
Ten 4. I will definitely be doing that as soon as they come in. I ordered them without making sure this load will be safe. Lol.

6’3” 300lb. Have had a couple bend very slightly but that’s only when I stand on them one legged for a long period with a full backpack.

I’m sold on the bolts, perfect private land system

I’m committed to go the Tree Hopper drill and grade 8 bolts method. I started thinking maybe I should check and see what size feller them bolts can handle? Havnt gotten everything in yet and hoping they will hold me. So y’all that use these grade 8 bolts. How big a boy are ya???
Thanks In advance !!
6’6” 270lbs , they’re fine I’ve been closer to 300 before & they work. No issues

Good deal. Bigterp. Makes me feel a more comfortable knowing they will do a lil over my current weight.
Thanks guys!

A 200lb fella can break or bend or fall off bolts if he doesn’t drill right depth, insert to right depth, drill at correct angle, not always have 3pts of contact, improper or no lineman’s belt usage, etc.

A 400lb fella can climb 3/8” grade 8 6” bolts with zero issues if he’s slow careful deliberate and knows what he’s doing and executes well.

Thinking “I’m in the middle, so I’m definitely fine” is deadly. Body weight is a single variable among many that determine your risk.

Be careful.

Climbing Methods for Lockon Stands - YouTube
80. Treehopper hand drill & bolts & Cranford's screw in steps (3 models) for big diameter trees - YouTube

Lots of good info on bolts and how to use them in these two videos. The first one with Mr. Womack is the one that got me into using bolts. I used them for years on private land. I'd love to use them more often and I have some private land I have the go ahead to use them on this season so I will be dusting mine off. As to weight. I am not a good example since I weigh 150 pounds. I will say when I first started using bolts, I bought a grade 5, 6 inch 3/8 bolt from the hardware store to see if I could get away with them. Nope, my 150 pounds bent a grade 5.

A 200lb fella can break or bend or fall off bolts if he doesn’t drill right depth, insert to right depth, drill at correct angle, not always have 3pts of contact, improper or no lineman’s belt usage, etc.

A 400lb fella can climb 3/8” grade 8 6” bolts with zero issues if he’s slow careful deliberate and knows what he’s doing and executes well.

Thinking “I’m in the middle, so I’m definitely fine” is deadly. Body weight is a single variable among many that determine your risk.

Be careful.
Thanks kyler. I’m a slow and steady kinda feller. I plan to do several pre-sets and carefully checking things as I go.

P
Climbing Methods for Lockon Stands - YouTube
80. Treehopper hand drill & bolts & Cranford's screw in steps (3 models) for big diameter trees - YouTube

Lots of good info on bolts and how to use them in these two videos. The first one with Mr. Womack is the one that got me into using bolts. I used them for years on private land. I'd love to use them more often and I have some private land I have the go ahead to use them on this season so I will be dusting mine off. As to weight. I am not a good example since I weigh 150 pounds. I will say when I first started using bolts, I bought a grade 5, 6 inch 3/8 bolt from the hardware store to see if I could get away with them. Nope, my 150 pounds bent a grade 5.
thanks nws. I will watch them both. I watched one Womack video but hopefully the two u sent are different. I’m always open to learn. Thanks man.

How far do y’all space the bolts? I know ur depends on ur size and stride. But on average where abouts do u pu bolt 1, 2, 3. Knee waist chin?? Etc. just looking for ideas to start with. How far apart left to right? Depends on tree yes but say basket ball size for reference.

240-250lb better keep your foot against the tree climbing 3/8” grade 8 bolts. They will bend if you step out toward the end.

Back