• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How can I shoot deer accurately with only one fixed pin in my sight?!

kyler1945

SH Member
This topic has come up a lot lately, so I figured I'd touch on a little more information. It has been covered many times, and I take zero credit for this concept.

NOTE - if your bow shoots slower than 250fps, or you intend on shooting critters past 35 yards or so, you may want to consider other options. But for 90% of bowhunters, shooting a bow built after 2005, who shoot deer at 30 yards and in, this is a very effective way to shoot well.

First, let's talk about the variables in the environment that can affect your accuracy - they are many, and there is no need to expand on each: Form, appropriate draw length, draw weight, bow and arrows being tuned properly, temperature - being hot and sweaty or freezing cold, skeeters, a fight with the wife distracting you mentally, adrenaline, holding bow at full draw for a long time, wind, etc.

Each of these things affect how accurate you are. And the number one thing that affects accuracy? CRITTERS MOVE. They move when you range them. When you draw on them. When you have your pin settled in. When you release your arrow. When your arrow is about to reach it's intended target.

What is the single best way to overcome all of this? Hang up your bow and fling lead at 3000fps....Or, if you like, just make things simpler.

The age old question of sliders and multi pin sights improving accuracy - Do they? Well, yes, they do - sometimes. Where are they effective? When you're shooting at known distances, at fixed targets. They are also great for long range shooting - when fall off in arrow trajectory gets excessive.

But are they not good for short range shots at moving animals at unknown distances? They're not necessarily bad - they're just not necessarily necessary...

There are some arrow trajectory programs that allow you to project how different weight arrows fly out of different weight/length bows. But I have confirmed their relative accuracy in the field, and you can too with a little tinkering.

Let's take a right down the middle example for today's new bowhunter. He buys a bow built in 2010 off the classifieds, and sets up a 400 grain arrow at 65lbs draw weight. He's shooting a 28" draw. His arrow will be flying at roughly 260fps. He has self determined a max distance of 30 yards.

He may set up his 3 pin sight at 10, 20, and 30 yards. His 10 yard pin would hit .5" lower than his 20, which would hit about 5" higher than his 30 yard pin. So you would say - I don't need a 10 and 20, they basically hit the same spot. What will you do if a deer is standing at somewhere between 20 and 30 yards? Well, you're going to compensate, and "bracket" your aiming point between two pins.

So I'm going to have a "20" yard pin - and anything inside of 20 gets that pin, then I'll do 25 and 30 yard pins. Well, those 3 pins would now be so close together, there'd hardly be daylight between them. Why does this matter - well, when the bright lights are on, and you factor in all the variables listed above, a cluster of pins will get awful difficult to make good use of. Now imagine trying to cram 5 pins into a useful range of 30 yards - same problem, only further exaggerated.

So why not a sliding single pin? You could just range the deer, dial the pin in, and shoot it. I've only killed 30 deer or so. But I can count on one finger the amount of them that stood still long enough for me to range it, draw, and shoot it where it stood when I ranged it. Maybe your deer do something different. But mine don't pose. So you've now let your release hand come off the bow, to your rangefinder, then adjusted your sight to, say 30 yards, and you draw. The deer moves 4 or 5 yards closer to you. What do you do? Let down, range it again and adjust slider, then shoot it? No, more than likely you compensate. Which brings me to the punch line.

Now, let's keep our same bow and arrow setup as above, and put a single fixed pin sight on. Some folks would recommend zeroing it at exactly 20 yards, then aim high if you have to shoot past that. This is a pretty good fix, but we can improve that. Tweaking the exact distance the pin is zero'd, will allow an easier compensation.

At a 20 yard zero - you'd be .5" high at 10 yards, all good! 20 yards, dead on, good. 25 yards - 2.5" low this is still acceptable because of all the variables listed above. At 30 yards though, you'd be 6" low! That's not great, and may result in a clean miss or a wounded animal if you didn't compensate properly.

Now - set that zero at 26 yards. You'd be 1.5" high at 10 yards, 2" high at 20 yards, .5" high at 25 yards, 0'd at 26 yards, and 2.5" low at 30 yards.

What does that mean? It means in the heat of the moment, if a deer steps out between 10 and 30 yards, and you can pull it all together and get that pin settled in the exact spot you want to hit with no compensation, you're likely taking him home. If you're the calmer type, and the deer isn't moving quickly, you can easily compensate a little to hit exactly where you want to - the same thing you'd be doing with the multi pin sight or slider.

Is this the best aiming system for tournament shooting? No. Is it the best system for shooting long distances? No. Is it the best system for deer hunting inside of 30 yards with today's modern compounds? You'd be hard pressed to prove otherwise - IF YOU TAKE INTO ACCOUNT ALL OF THE VARIABLES IN A HUNTING SCENARIO.

Again - I am not advocating this for folks shooting past 30-35 yards. This is aimed at beginners, and folks who know they will be shooting deer close. I'd be willing to bet the house that over 90% of deer killed by bow are within 30 yards.

Hopefully this helps someone new who is considering what sight to buy, or how best to simplify their hunting setup. Good luck this season!

Last edited:
Good write up. hits all the points. I've always used a slider but taken the same approach in the field. I set it at 26 yards and only touch it if I have time or a situation where I want to shoot a bit further.

Awesome write up! I'll add this...

Whatever range you can use a single pin at is, in my mind, the max range you should hunt at if you're new or just an "average" shot. If you're rocking an old PSE nova or bear whitetail, you're looking at 20-25 yards as your max effective, ethical range.

Also, I used to use this calculator all the time when I worked at a shop.

http://www.bestcrossbowsource.com/crossbow-arrow-ballistics-calculator

Good post. Thought about switching to this on my compound for a while now.

On my tradbows it’s pretty much the same concept but with my arrow trajectory. I shoot instinctive/feels good sight picture and my point on distance is 26 or so yards. That leaves me without too much gap (tip of arrow below my intended impact point) when I’m shooting sub-20 yards. I don’t have to think too hard about it. Just focus and shoot 12 yards, 17 yards, etc.

Emrah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For you guys that just run one pin sights for hunting. Do you just never practice over 30 yards? I really enjoy shooting longer range and feel it gives you a lot more accuracy and confidence in the field. I read an artical a long time ago about double distance practice. What the artical was pushing was practicing at double the distance you feel you should be shooting in the field. I feel like this has really helped me over the years.

For you guys that just run one pin sights for hunting. Do you just never practice over 30 yards? I really enjoy shooting longer range and feel it gives you a lot more accuracy and confidence in the field. I read an artical a long time ago about double distance practice. What the artical was pushing was practicing at double the distance you feel you should be shooting in the field. I feel like this has really helped me over the years.
I do practice beyond 30. I'm running an HHA slider. I adjust practicing. I have never adjusted it hunting. I set it at 25 and I'm good for anything in my comfort range. I'm usually in areas with no shot opportunities beyond 30.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Absolutely. I practice two different ways...I will walk to a random spot in my yard, range, dial, shoot. This is all 50+ yards. Then I will do the same thing only I will leave my sight set on 27 and only shoot 10-40 yards without moving the sight. I feel this gives me the best of both worlds. I use my long range shooting as more of a form check and confidence booster. I can group very well at 80+ so it makes those 40 and under shots easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is why I went from a fixed pin to a slider. When I’m hunting, my sight is essentially a fixed pin. I lock it down at 22 yards. But I like to shoot long distances at home while practicing because it helps me detect any form flaws. Plus when you practice 50-60 yards 15-25 feels like a slam dunk.

I should have kept reading so I didn’t post almost the exact same thing as the previous post :( Great minds think alike I guess:cool:

I have an HHA slider. I never though of leaving it at 26 yards vs 20. I was just compensating for my 30 yard shot. Im going to give this a try when I get home. Good write-up kyler1945

I do not. Don't have the space anymore. 30 yards and in, and usually from an elevated position (practice tree.)

This means I am very comfortable with knowing what is in and out of range. I'm very familiar shooting at objects in my range. I don't miss lobbing arrows at 60 and 80 yards like I used to. Sure, it was fun, but so is shooting from a saddle, plinking with my rimfire, and (here on out) shooting clay targets with my one step thrower.

I will be totally honest, and hope I don't come off the wrong way. I enjoy bow hunting, but would sell my bow tomorrow if they legalized gun hunting in all of the places and for the same duration as bow hunting. Bows are an inefficient hunting weapon, and it baffles me how many bowhunters handicap themselves when it comes to THE most important piece of gear you carry (weapon) and then spend money on saddles, cellular trail cams, e-bikes, ozone units, scent lok, etc.

In my mind, if you're gonna bowhunt, it makes more sense to accept the limitations of the gear (very close range shots) and just work within them.

I view efforts to extend the range of a bow about the same way I view motorizing kayaks. You can spend all the time and money you want, but you'll never turn that kayak into a bass rig, or your bow into a gun.

A lot of guys say it's just part of the fun. And I like pointless, inefficient fun as much as the next guy. A wood smoker is arguably an inefficient way to cook, and ultralite tackle is arguably an inefficient way to fish. But I enjoy both of those activities. My only comment is that if I am going to take a life, I want to do so efficiently. I personally never felt comfortable with longer shots, and after reading the studies published and working in a shop I believe that I am at least an average shot. As an average to above average shot, I feel just as confident shooting a deer at 30 yards with a bow as I do shooting one with a rifle at 150.

A single pin makes it easy for me to accept that limitation. Multiple pins, sliders, and long range practice for me is like dropping a trying-to-go-straight Charlie Sheen off at a strip club with a bag of coke. You know what's gonna happen, and it ain't gonna be pretty.

He may set up his 3 pin sight at 10, 20, and 30 yards. His 10 yard pin would hit .5" lower than his 20, which would hit about 5" higher than his 30 yard pin. So you would say - I don't need a 10 and 20, they basically hit the same spot. What will you do if a deer is standing at somewhere between 20 and 30 yards? Well, you're going to compensate, and "bracket" your aiming point between two pins.

I get the point, but is the yellow/bold text have a typo?

Thanks for posting and with new realizations I may go back to a single pin, but I've been shooting the EZV and am pretty happy with it. Where do you put the EZV in this mix?

this is how i do it, but I have 4 other pins for long range practice.

I get the point, but is the yellow/bold text have a typo?

Thanks for posting and with new realizations I may go back to a single pin, but I've been shooting the EZV and am pretty happy with it. Where do you put the EZV in this mix?

I have put 2500+ shots through the EZV. And I'll be keeping it on my bow simply because I'll be lobbing heavy arrows at longer distances on some hunts coming up (Elk). I feel really confident with it up to 50-60 without ranging on a critter that size.

If I were strictly chasing whitetails where I currently do, I'd go back to a single pin.

The EZV has its place as far as "ranging" or shooting unknown distances. The bigger advantage I get out of it, is I seem to shoot way tighter groups left/right with it. A pin gives me a little bit of nerve covering up what I want to see. I like the open sight window of the V.

I will have to make a tough decision going forward - I have little interest in switching back and forth. But for eastern whitetail hunting, for 90% of folks, a single pin is the answer.

Trick pin setup is another option for single pin sights. Youd set it for 50 yards (or whatever the magical distance is for your speed) and aim 12" low for a wide variety of shots. Your arrow stays within a certain kill zone window for a wide range of distances. I think it's more practical for elk where the hold under distance allows you to put the pin right on the belly line.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I shoot out to 50 with one pin. Kentucky elevation. You can pick something above your target to aim at. It’s about groups and form for me at that distance. Don’t really care where the arrow lands as long as they are grouped well and in the target. I think it is way more important to shoot from treestand heights and whatever platform you will use than shoot a hundred yards. If you are torquing your bow or dropping your arm it will show up at 30 yards.

Trick pin setup is another option for single pin sights. Youd set it for 50 yards (or whatever the magical distance is for your speed) and aim 12" low for a wide variety of shots. Your arrow stays within a certain kill zone window for a wide range of distances. I think it's more practical for elk where the hold under distance allows you to put the pin right on the belly line.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I read that trick pin thing a couple years ago. It just seems like they are looking for ways to mess up their shots.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Back