• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How did I live for so long without a smoker???

MNFarmHunter

Finally bought a smoker last weekend. My rule is every year I buy (1) big ticket and through the years have acquired a quality sausage stuffer, grinder, meat mixer and slicer so this year was a Pit Boss propane smoker. I went back and forth for weeks between electric or propane but wanting to run 4 seasons, off-grid if necessary, the propane won out.

Temp is very easy to control on this smoke as it has (2) burners, 1 for the smoke tray and 1 for heat. With outside temps near 70, the smoke tray burner will get it up to about 150 and the heat burner on low will bring it up to about 210. So far, I've got 11 hours on it smoking ribs followed by 8# of venison summer sausage. Tomorrow, I'm smoking a turkey.

Playing with the smoke, I thing I like alder as a base wood then cutting in other flavors accordingly.

My daughter got me an air fryer for Father's Day. Does that count?

Just kidding.

I have a couple buddies that are totally engulfed in smoking meat! (pun intended)
They cook some awesome food...

The summer sausage came out perfect. Mildly marbled with a perfect in between moist and hard/dry. The flavor is mild with the perfect amount of smoke smell without an overpowering taste.

Tonight's turkey brine consists of kosher salt, brown sugar, smoked paprika, cumin and rosemary. Tomorrow's smoke with be alder only. I wish I could find some pecan chips but can only find chunk.

I bought one of those star wars droid looking "smoke and grill" charcoal smokers at the peddler's mall earlier this spring for $25.
Pulled chuck roasts are the family favorite, with some hickory and cherry smoke. I've also done beef ribs that turned out good, an amazing tomahawk ribeye, and a pork loin that turned out okay. I think I'm going to attempt a brisket before the end of the year.

Charcoal is very tough to regulate temp, there's no walking away for long. I use a couple wireless probes to tell me smoker temp and meat temp. I usually pull my rocking porch chair right up alongside the smoker and enjoy a day on the porch.

Check out amazingribs.com for good info and recipes.

I made my own charcoal/wood stick smoker. I added a cheap temperature controller off Amazon and power a computer fan going into the firebox to regulate temperature. I can set my temp and forget it, just have to check every few hours to make sure there's enough coals to keep it hot.
19be43b0ef0ebabc5f92a1eb26e394ed.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

I felt the same way when I got my green egg. I love smoking meat but often consider getting something like the Pitt boss for ease of use as the egg is definitely more work to get going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back