• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How did you cook venison today?

Nosaj

SH Member
How did you cook venison today?
Let's see and hear about cooked it tonight.

It doesn't have to be Steve Rinella does Julia Child's, just how are you cooking your venison on a regular basis. Please share your easy and tasty along with your masterpiece.

Tonight I had a coarse ground venison burger (mixed with high temp cheese and a slap your mama seasoning) and put it on a Cesar salad. I prefer it to a Chicken Cesar salad which I also enjoy.
20230802_221140.jpg

Last edited:
Down to sticks and summer sausage here for the most part. I’ve got a roast and then a loin and a backstrap I’ve saved for special occasions.
My favorite cut and cook remains the most simple. Backstrap seasoned with a little garlic, salt, and pepper grilled to medium rare. Anniversary in a week and that with scallops will be our anniversary dinner.
Wife went from never having venison and not thinking she would like it to preferring it over beef.

From the Meat Eater cookbook I learned about just cutting a front shoulder in half or using the whole thing if it’s a small deer. Great way to use parts that usually end up as sausage/grind.

Yesterday I did bone in front shoulder roast in adobo sauce in the slow cooker. Put it on a salad with a lime vinaigrette, salad, avocado, black beans, red bell pepper, and diced cucumbers. Mostly the recipe below for 6 hours on high, though I did sear it in a cast iron pan first. When it was done I pulled it, put it back into the cast iron with some drippings and put it under the broiler to crisp it a bit. And I used canned chilis in adobo (1/3 of a can) rather than the dry rub in the recipe.

It would make killer taco, burrito, or tamale filling.

Wild game meals this week are wild boar sausage and biscuits for breakfast and deer burgers for lunch. Burgers are mixed with a washyersister sauce, a little montreal and a little bbq rub. Once patted out they get a good sprinkle of Huey's burger seasoning. Slice of provolone melted over the top and watch out for your fingers. Had pizza last night because we were out buying me some new snake boots because the ones I had died over the weekend.

Better freeze it before cooking (assuming anyone cooking now was frozen)…https://www.themeateater.com/cook/b...ked-venison-can-cause-rare-blindness-disorder
I didn't realize or forgot that freezing kills toxoplasmosis. I have a great instant read thermometer, it truly reads in an instant and it is very accurate. I cook everything to above 145. The crazy part of that article is below the article is a link to a How to make Carpaccio which is a raw meat dish and the article says you can make it with venison! https://www.themeateater.com/wild-and-whole/learn-cooking-technique/how-to-make-carpaccio . I am not sure what they are thinking there.....

https://www.thermoworks.com/thermapen-one/

1774_source_1687988773.jpg

Last edited:
Made that myself b4. You aint lying bout beating deli meats. Fantastic.
Smoked a top round roast on Monday (brined and then a dry rub) then had burgers on Wednesday. Just mix a little A1 and Woostershire and top with jalapeño pepper jack. My wife commented how she liked the venison burgers better than beef. Now I got to figure out how to shoot more deer.

I wish it was deer.... I killed this pig last weekend. It hasn't even made it out of the cooler yet hahahH
I've been feeding the cooler frozen water bottles all week and draining couple times a day and picked chunks out all week and I think everybody is ready for something else besides feral hog. Everybody except me hahaha. This stew is so easy...1 cup water, 1 whole shoulder, buncha veggies u like, onion dip mix packet, a large slow cooker, and 12+ hoursScreenshot_20230818-211215~2.png

Made venison tacos last night and did the tortillas from scratch for the first time. Super easy.
2 cups flour
tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup room temp butter
Used a fork to mix that together then add in 2/3 cup hot water. Let it rest/rise for 10 minutes, cut into however many pieces you like, I did 10 for smaller tacos, roll super thin and cook for about a minute each side.
For the meat I did a pound of ground venison, taco seasoning mix (didn’t write down what I put in), and a can of rotel. Browned the meat with the seasoning, added in the rotel, cooked it on low to reduce the liquid for awhile. IMG_5037.jpegIMG_5039.jpeg

Back