• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How do you use a Thermacell

Kurt

I just recently started using a personal thermacell. I can see a difference, but I wonder if there's a best use? Is it effective in the wind? It says a 15 foot radius, is that accurate? I saw on the thread, Best and worst gear the thermacell mentioned a couple of times, looking for some folks with experience. Thanks in advance.

15ft is absolute, best case scenario, and even then it's a stretch. If I'm using one I keep it as close as possible. They also don't donthat great in the wind.

Honestly, I haven't found a substitute for a tiny bottle of 98% DEET in a hunting scenario. Yes it smells, but so does a thermacell, despite the marketing claims.

I find that if the wind is strong enough to make the thermacel not work, its usually strong enough to keep the skeeters off me.

I always try to get it in between me and tree - take advantage of the wind blockage.

I was thinking for turkey hunting and back yard sittin. Would it be best on the ground if your sitting at the table and like wise for turkey hunting, like under your legs good enough or sit down wind?

I hook it on the upwind side of my turkey vest for turkey hunting. Upwind side of me on gear holder deer hunting

I really just wanted to type “I push the button until I see red”...

It works great 90 percent of the time for me. Usually if there’s enough wind to stop it from working it’s also enough to keep the mosquitoes down low. You have to be stationary. I keep it close it was definitely a game changer in South Georgia.

I’ve tied it to the bottom of the predator a few early season hunts last year. Worked good and easy to transport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've found it takes at least 30 minutes to start working at full effect.

John H.

Does anyone else get headaches from using it on stand. They work great but the smell kills me if it gets wafted by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everybody I appreciate the help. I didn't think I was getting good results, but it sounds like I may be getting the same results as everyone else. I'm one of the unfortunates that gets killed by mosquitoes. My wife barely gets touched, and I get sucked dry.

You can keep pads when they turn white and leave them in the sun. Then put your favorite atttactant/cover scent on them. Stick them in the Thermocell and it's a great way to disperse scent.

Back