• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How Far Do You Travel To Hunt?

DB4x4

How far do you drive, if at all, to hunt your typical haunts? I am referring to your usual go-to areas, not necessarily the one-of-a-kind out of state hunts. (Unless you do it annually)

Do you own property? Do you have a nearby lease? Do you drive to a cabin or haul a camper to hunt? I am curious how far everyone travels to chase critters...

I typically stay local during bow season, 20 min or less, hunting local farmland to which I have access. We also have a family camp in public big woods/mountains (2 hour drive) that I try to hit once or twice in bow season if I am lucky, but we usually only make it up there for a weekend or two during gun season.

Most of my usuals are 20-30 minutes from the house. Although I plan to expand that a bit next season in hopes of finding some properties that see a little less intrusion.

3 hours to lease. Anywhere from 20 min to 1.5 hr for public land options.

When you make the 3 hour drive, are you staying somewhere nearby when you get there? Or do you drive 3 hours, hunt all day, drive 3 hours home?

The public I usually hunt is 1-2 hours away. If we didn't have a quota system I have some public 20-30 minutes but I never get that draw. Doesn't help Duval county is the largest county in the usa..... It's an hour to drive anywhere
Furthest I've ever gone is ft Stewart and I stayed in the campground. Usually drive hunt and drive again unless I luck out and find camping close by

I try to stay in the 40 min to 1 hr range, hunting public only right now. I like being in my own bed at night.

When you make the 3 hour drive, are you staying somewhere nearby when you get there? Or do you drive 3 hours, hunt all day, drive 3 hours home?

We have a cabin on our lease which makes it feasible. It would suck to drive 3 hours and camp. Unfortunately, guy who owns the land is pretty old. Not sure what's gonna happen with it and not in a position to buy my own land yet. I'll probably have to buy a camper and drive or just hunt public land if lease goes away. We've been hunting there a long time and it's a pretty sweet deal especially with the cabin. Not a trophy lease but fills my freezer with deer and hog.

Out of curiosity, why are you asking?

60-miles roundtrip daily to hunt private family land. Looking to shorten that 10-minutes round trip with the purchase of 23 acres just down the road.

The public I usually hunt is 1-2 hours away. If we didn't have a quota system I have some public 20-30 minutes but I never get that draw. Doesn't help Duval county is the largest county in the usa..... It's an hour to drive anywhere
Furthest I've ever gone is ft Stewart and I stayed in the campground. Usually drive hunt and drive again unless I luck out and find camping close by

I hunt ft stewart every now and again. New commander is making it difficult now. Dont think he is excited at having civilians hunt. Was a great deal. As a veteran I got a year round pass for about $55. Didn't go back last year.

We have a cabin on our lease which makes it feasible. It would suck to drive 3 hours and camp. Unfortunately, guy who owns the land is pretty old. Not sure what's gonna happen with it and not in a position to buy my own land yet. I'll probably have to buy a camper and drive or just hunt public land if lease goes away. We've been hunting there a long time and it's a pretty sweet deal especially with the cabin. Not a trophy lease but fills my freezer with deer and hog.

Out of curiosity, why are you asking?

1. I am curious to see how much effort everyone puts in just to get out in the woods
2. I wanted to see a thread on here that didn't involve guys talking about amsteel, haha

I'm blessed that my properties are close by. One is about a 5 minute drive, the others are about 15 minutes. I don't own, just fortunate to find landowners that let me hunt their property.

1. I am curious to see how much effort everyone puts in just to get out in the woods
2. I wanted to see a thread on here that didn't involve guys talking about amsteel, haha

I hear ya. Actually, the 3 hour drive with a place to stay is far less effort than going to public land. DNR always closes every road I need to get even somewhat close to where I want to hunt. Not so bad getting to where I hunt but getting a deer out sucks bad. And I'm pretty close to metro Atl. Every public spot is crammed full of folks and it's always on a draw day which severely limits how much I can hunt. Got a bow this year so hopefully I'm good enough with it to hunt next bow season. That should open up a lot more public land opportunities for me. At least at my lease I know the property well. Driving to public land I have to scout to know well enough to hunt and then camp would be very time consuming. Not sure I could hunt near as much. Probably sounds spoiled to those that hunt that way exclusively. Having first kid this summer hence push to bowhunt locally. Doubt I'm gonna get too many multiday trips next season.

Because I'm able to get to my properties so quickly I can get out pretty often. I have two small kids so if I had to travel more I don't know that I could get out as often.

Own land about 10 miles away, lease land about 20 miles away, and hunt land a 5 minute walk from my house. Nice neighbor has a small tract of 40 acres he lets me hunt. Also hunt Homochitto some, it’s about a 40 minute drive. I’m blessed with hunting property.

Back