• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How long for a patch of white oaks?

sureshotscott

Staff member
SH Member
Found a stand of white oaks dropping over the weekend. Kicked deer off there Sat and Sun midday. This is in the northern half of MI's lower peninsula. How long can I expect this spot to be a good destination? This is a slightly elevated stand along an old logging road near a swamp, which is mostly covered in conifers and maples.

I would prolly try to slip back in some time and look at the canopy with binos and see what kind of crop the trees have. If they have a good crop, those trees might be hot for a bit, cool as some other trees start dropping, then pick back up as they start dropping mature acorns. The sign will tell you what you need to know. Steamin piles of deer doo means get in a tree now.

Found a stand of white oaks dropping over the weekend. Kicked deer off there Sat and Sun midday. This is in the northern half of MI's lower peninsula. How long can I expect this spot to be a good destination? This is a slightly elevated stand along an old logging road near a swamp, which is mostly covered in conifers and maples.
The last acorn will disappear on 9/30 :p

Hey are you poaching one of my spots? :tearsofjoy:

Here in southeast Missouri, about mid October is when the mature acorns start dropping good. The acorns that drop early are usually bad and the deer don't eat those. I don't know about up north and when the acorns mature. Take some binos and see what is up in the trees to determine the amount of good hunting time you might have. I would wait until the acorns are mature and just beginning to drop.

I don't mean to be interpose, but gosh, I have such trouble assessing the crop of a tree that hasn't dropped any yet. I swear I haven't found hardly any oaks down here with acorns on em - given it was an intensely hot and extremely dry summer, I'm not sure that's surprising -, but then in the city, the live oaks and water oaks have started dropping some acorns. In the field, I've tried to use my binos to see the acorns forming on the branches? right?

I don't mean to be interpose, but gosh, I have such trouble assessing the crop of a tree that hasn't dropped any yet. I swear I haven't found hardly any oaks down here with acorns on em - given it was an intensely hot and extremely dry summer, I'm not sure that's surprising -, but then in the city, the live oaks and water oaks have started dropping some acorns. In the field, I've tried to use my binos to see the acorns forming on the branches? right?
Yes. I'm no expert but I saw acorns dropping and deer feeding on them. There were acorns visible in the trees yet. My understanding is it's seasonal and temporary. As suggested though, it will probably be over when MI season opens 10/1. :(

Until they're gone or they find a more preferred food source.

Kinda seems like an easy answer.

Yes, you need to carefully glass with a good set of binoculars late in the season no sooner than august in my opinion. You should be able to at least see some of the tree has a decent crop but it takes experience that I don’t have to estimate quantity very well since a lot of it is relative

Maybe my x6 binos aren’t sufficient to peep the top crowns of oaks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, you need to carefully glass with a good set of binoculars late in the season no sooner than august in my opinion. You should be able to at least see some of the tree has a decent crop but it takes experience that I don’t have to estimate quantity very well since a lot of it is relative

easiest way during season is to get near the flat or tree and listen for a few minutes. wind or birds/squirrels will shake nuts from trees and if the tree is really producing, it will sound like rain. ease over there and look for steaming piles and climb a tree. easy peasy

Back