• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How often do you adjust your tether?

Live2huntt

My plan was to use my old HHS tree rope as my tether, but I got to thinking about having to adjust your tether length for different shots. Do you adjust your tether much during the hunt? I'm thinking on the off side shot you may need to shorten it. If I need to buy some more rope and another Ropeman I will. Just trying to save a little $$ where I can.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Even without a ropeman I adjusted it every 30min-1hr to transition from leaning to sitting position. It’s just more of a PIA to adjust without the ropeman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Once you find the sweet spot for tether height most gents leave that alone. A good starting point is your eyes or forehead. Higher for sitters and lower for leaning. As far as adjusting the actual tether length if you are hunting a big tree or repositioning is the only times you should have to lengthen it. A lot of guys like to hunt trees no bigger than a basketball, however what us Great about saddle hunting is as long as you can climb it and put a tether around it you can hunt it.

I don’t adjust mine much once I get setup. I could use a ropeman or prussik on the tether. I don’t think I will have another linesmans without a ropeman 1 or similar on it.

I have been messing around with it in the back yard. What I plan on doing at this point is using my linemans rope with the Ropeman 1 to go up the tree. Once I get my platform hung I will put my HHS tether around the tree as a 2nd linemans rope and use the original as my tether. That way I will have the easy adjustability if I need it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

After the initial adjustment 0-3 times depending on how long I’m up there.

I try to set it and forget it. I did find that early on I picked to large of trees and the more I had to move around the tree the more I adjusted it. I have had to work hard to not pick out to big of a tree.

Funny I just seen a video with John Eberhart’s talking about adjusting his tether for sitting and leaning on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On some hunts I set my tether once and only once. On other hunts I move it quite a bit - on these hunts it is great to have a ropeman on there.

I used prussik knots on my tether for a few years - it worked ok but always needed two hands to adjust, one to hold the tether rope tight and the other to move the knot. Once my prussik rope got soaking wet in a rainstorm on an out-of-state hunt and it was extremely hard to loosen and move after that. Don't have that problem with a ropeman.

I've used various friction knots and a ropeman, and I'd like to see somebody adjust a ropeman with just one hand. Yes, it's easier to adjust, but with the exception of possibly being able to shorten it if most of your weight is on your platform, it's still a two hands needed type event.

Once I get it set I don't move it cause I am in the comfort zone. The only time I will take slack up is to put myself in a fixed standing position to "make water".

I've used various friction knots and a ropeman, and I'd like to see somebody adjust a ropeman with just one hand. Yes, it's easier to adjust, but with the exception of possibly being able to shorten it if most of your weight is on your platform, it's still a two hands needed type event.
I wasnt thinking one time, and reached up and pulled the cable to release my ropeman. I didnt have a grip on the rope and had a 8" free fall down the rope. I wasnt in any danger. I stopped when I let go,and was a long way away from the stopper knot. Still made me pucker up tho lol

I wasnt thinking one time, and reached up and pulled the cable to release my ropeman. I didnt have a grip on the rope and had a 8" free fall down the rope. I wasnt in any danger. I stopped when I let go,and was a long way away from the stopper knot. Still made me pucker up tho lol
EXACTLY! lol.

Back