• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How often do you hunt out of a treestand?

Bowtech12

Just wondering how often you use a treestand?
there’s some areas I hunt with some cedars
Can’t trim all the way around so I hunt out of a treestand instead of my saddle
I’m probably 80/20 saddle/treestand

how about you?

70% ground
30% elevated saddle
0% elevated tree stand

There are a couple elevated platform/tree stand that are kinda permanent on public land that are for the "community" as far as I'm concerned..... They take a section of adjustable aluminum ladder and cut it to a small section and attach the small part to the full length section of the adjustable aluminum ladder in a dogleg/L shape. Gusset the two and screw plywood to the small section for standing/set down a chair and they are perfect for getting up into the crotches of big live oaks where the huge trunks/branches split off. Not sure who set them or how old they are but they are in good areas. I don't hunt them often but if I'm running late or so other circumstance it's not below me to climb that thing and tether to the tree.....my platform is more comfortable honestly..... I could take my 70% ground hunting and split into an additional 70/30 with 70% of the time on the ground being scout/stalk and 30% tethered to a tree using my saddle.

If I'm going to hunt in a downpour which is pretty much contained to the rifle opener and rifle first Saturday, I'll hunt out of my climber. The reason is I hate climbing wet trees in the rain and nothing is easier to climb with than a climber. Otherwise I'm all .5/saddle hybrid.

If I had access to private there’s always a natural funnel somewhere that deserves a permanent stand as part of the rotation. If for nothing else but for when the weather sucks. On public, not a chance. I’m not going to make it easy for someone else to hunt the place I want to hunt. And since I only hunt public now….

I'm going all Hybrid this season.....so 100% on both Saddle and Stand. I don't/can't hunt as much as most of you, however (Short seasons up here on the Mountain).

A few years ago I ditched my climber for the ground / blind. This year I'm probably going to split my time between ground and saddle. Really looking forward to late season muzzle loader in the saddle.

Back