• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How to check wind or thermal direction, non standard ways

kyler1945

SH Member
Looking for ways to tell an unprepared feller in a tree how to check wind.

Already mentioned:

Windchecker powder
Milkweed
Long thread
Smoke/thermacel
Lick your finger

What are some non standard items/methods for a rudimentary check of the wjnd he might have on him

Pick up a few leaves on your way to the tree.
I was also going to suggest a vape if you are a vaper.
a short length of paracord or string of the wind is appreciable enough to move it.

I have a friend who can make a bubble with his spit and let it sail off his tongue. Actually works quite well but I am not so talented. I have no idea how he does this

Looking for ways to tell an unprepared feller in a tree how to check wind.

Already mentioned:

Windchecker powder
Milkweed
Long thread
Smoke/thermacel
Lick your finger

What are some non standard items/methods for a rudimentary check of the wjnd he might have on him
Michigan Wisconsin or Minnesota after around Oct 1 … your breath!!

I was hoping someone would say it so I didn’t have to. Fart and sniff. If you can smell it your scent is rising or the wind might be at your back. If you let one go and you don’t get a good smell then the wind might be blowing at your face or thermals carrying it down.

I was hoping someone would say it so I didn’t have to. Fart and sniff. If you can smell it your scent is rising or the wind might be at your back. If you let one go and you don’t get a good smell then the wind might be blowing at your face or thermals carrying it down.
You must wear scentloc lol

Back