• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How to get strange looks. AKA DIY platform

cb750

So I went into a mobility scooter store and asked about foot platforms. The staff cock their head slightly. I show them pictures and they say let me look out back. They come back with one I smile. They say we have quite a few actually would you like to look. Of course I say yes as my smile starts to grow. They began handing me different platforms, one was too thin one was too heavy but coated with rubber which intrigued me. Then..a lighter one but not too light and easily strong enough. Lots of holes for water to drip through. A spot for angle adjustment screw. "That's it." I said now beaming. The staff shared worried glances.. "how much?" I asked. "$30"... "sold!" I could feel my Dutch heart rejoicing. "You have made my day... by the way I may have need for a few more in the future if this works out." Well now there were three staff members looking at me like I was crazy because their scrap was the highlight of my day. As I walked out I heard one say to the other: "Well...that was odd." The smart one of the bunch gave me her card.

So now I will make a DIY platform superior to what I have now. I realize there are a couple DIY posts about scooter platforms already. They tend to be using a different style. One that I would prefer but beggars can't be choosers. I plan to try and make one similar to Slomo's but since I don't have a Turkey seat to take that bracket from I will have to DIY that too. So I plan on documenting the different phases of this and posting them here.

Step 2 in the build. I removed some of the excess metal on the side to allow more foot room. I used a hacksaw so it ain't perty and will need a bit of sanding. Then for $22 bucks and a 6 pack I got some 6061 aluminium v brackets cut. I would have ordered from lone wolf or DanO but the exchange etc is just killer. So hopefully today before work I can find some grade 8 bolts, nuts and a washer to make the button. Also need to reinforce the area where the leveling screw meets the stick. I'm still actually debating whether to make this a cam over design or a versa button design.
Screenshot_20190627-100537_Gallery.jpg

Well we are grown men (and some ladies) that choose to wear diapers and hang in trees for 1/4 of the year :)

This is true... but we do it camo so it's cool.
Actually @DaveT1963 I was about to shoot you a message. I saw your video on your cam over style platform. Just wondering what your thoughts are on it.

This is true... but we do it camo so it's cool.
Actually @DaveT1963 I was about to shoot you a message. I saw your video on your cam over style platform. Just wondering what your thoughts are on it.

wasn't sure if you were asking my opinion on your DIY or the cam over? if you like to tinker and have the time - you will probably end up with a great DIY platform that works for you. Seems like it is big enough, readily available and can be modified.

My opinion on the Cam Over Platform -
I am pretty sure I was the first to start the cam over platform DIY concept. I did it because the klemz had 2 flaws (IMO) 1) the platform as just a bit too small and 2) primarily because it is getting harder and harder to find the seats. I think it started a new wave of platform ideas and DIYs.

I went through several generations and they caught on - and they work great (I still will use mine as presets I leave in place) from time to time. It was a trade off with the Klemz - the platfrom was bigger and more available, however, the Klemz built in tree bracket was a more superior design and it was almost half the weight.

HOWEVER, with the release of the Tether'd Predator platform it kind of made it obsolete for me because it did two things. 1) It took the best design (Klemz) and made the platform bigger and 2) it made them easy to find/acquire.

If it was me, I would forgo building a DIY and just order the Predator Platform Gen II from Tether'd. It has all the best qualities, Kemz design, larger platform, lightweight, compact and easy to use.

That's just my honest opinion. But like i said, if you like to tinker, you will probably build something that works great for you and that can be very satisfying as well.

I still think Lone Wolf and XOP should have paid me for their sudden increase it seat replacement request :)

Last edited:
Lol. Yeah I think I will end up with a predator some day. But I like tinkering with stuff and this point it's just more cost effective. I agree that the stand off incorporated into the platform is awesome.

Lol. Yeah I think I will end up with a predator some day. But I like tinkering with stuff and this point it's just more cost effective. I agree that the stand off incorporated into the platform is awesome.

absolutely nothing wrong with that. Like i said, there is a certain satisfaction of killing something from gear you crafted/made.... at least there is for me.

Here are two that I made using the Shoprider.Both using 1.250 sq tubing with .125 wall thickness.

Attachments

• 63B28FBE-2614-4B71-8FC2-13DC02B1D453.jpeg
    63B28FBE-2614-4B71-8FC2-13DC02B1D453.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 309
  • 84720EE5-BCF8-4792-BAB0-538FCE650884.jpeg
    84720EE5-BCF8-4792-BAB0-538FCE650884.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 310
  • 94BF48B5-0730-4CDA-ABA7-72F8209ED967.jpeg
    94BF48B5-0730-4CDA-ABA7-72F8209ED967.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 323
  • FCE4A28F-3CE1-4636-98A4-29F30E2AF944.jpeg
    FCE4A28F-3CE1-4636-98A4-29F30E2AF944.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 321
Nice... I thought about going to the 1 1/4 inch tubing but the gap between where the bolt goes through the platform and the leveling screw are would be so tight I would be able to make adjustments. That or the hole through the tube would have to be wat off centre. My guess is it's because it's a different platform.

Well almost done! I've reinforced the the tube with oak tightly fit inside where the leveling screw contacts. Grade 8 bolts and heavy duty v brackets. So now its functionally good to go. I will be still adding some finishing touches to it. Just not at home with it so I don't have access to a tree test it out. Screenshot_20190630-224243_Gallery.jpg

I will add that it's done just in time too because I need to design and build a dog blind for waterfowl hunting.

Need is a strong word.....Have an intense desire to... may be more accurate

Back