• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How's the Pre-Rut going in Your Area?

BowhunterXC

In the last week there have been multiple scrapes put down by bucks in the area. :) All of them with licking branches and a few of the branches had double scrapes. It's definitely starting here in Ohio.

I had fun calling this little guy from 80 yards to within 17 yards with a can call. ;) It was interesting to see his response. There are bigger bucks in the area and plenty of time. :cool:

How's the Pre-Rut going in your area?

Buck 2.jpg
Buck 1.jpg

NE OH here. Lots of scrapes and rubs in the last 7 to 10 days, but it appears to be almost all happening at night. Some small bucks are getting active but not seeing the bigger boys yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here. Getting a few daylight pics of the big boy but very random. Little bucks are starting to show up on a regular basis.

The bucks are around and starting to get antsy, but no fighting or chasing yet. Its about a week early for that here. The bucks haven't swelled up yet either. They are sniffing though, looking for that first doe.

It's still at least a couple of weeks away here. They are still on feed trees here.

Hugely picked up in pa. Got 1 daylight photo of a big fellow. Mostly still at night tho. This coming weekend a massive front is coming through in PA. That first frosty morning in Oct to me is a must hunt day

Hugely picked up in pa. Got 1 daylight photo of a big fellow. Mostly still at night tho. This coming weekend a massive front is coming through in PA. That first frosty morning in Oct to me is a must hunt day
Yep. Hey it's a good proxy for the moon vs. weather argument.

I've been poking around with the moon thing this season. To the astrologists, this weak is peak zodiac signs or whatever. Undernuts, overfoot at peak time something. I don't know, not seeing much action.

Eff that. I say if you have the flexibility, clear the deck Monday and Tuesday mornings. It's gonna be popping. I love the morning of the first frosts.

I'm not sure if how stinky a buck is directional proportional to how the rut is going, but the guy we got last night had some odor. He wasn't super smelly, but it was there. This is S. Michigan. The one I shot last year on the 14th if November had a good musk to him.

The rut is the same every year timing-wise, but the temperatures are the biggest driver of how much of it we see in the daytime

Second half of October things start getting interesting. A few does are sporadically coming into heat. If you encounter an early cycling doe, it's nuts and a privelege to just witness. I've seen 10 bucks on one doe. Poor thing. That's where you'll hear misinformed guys say "the rut is early this year" It's not. Does peak on a bell curve. Some are before the peak.

About last week of October, the yearlings (1.5 yo) can't take it anymore. They start running around and rutting hard. Lots of seeking and chasing, but mostly little guys. Amateurs.

The adolescents (2.5- 3.5 yo) start getting frisky about a week later.

The adult bucks (4.5+) know to be patient. They take it as it comes, but don't get too eager to chase the early wave.

Peak rut is about Nov 10-15 and everyone is getting into the action. Pandemonium or lockdown depending where you have the fortune of being, or not.

The following two weeks, the yearlings and adolescents are dead tired. They blew their load. That's when the big boys do their seeking and my favorite time to hunt, bar none.

Be patient young grasshoppers. It pays to keep the tank full.

The rut is the same every year timing-wise, but the temperatures are the biggest driver of how much of it we see in the daytime

Second half of October things start getting interesting. A few does are sporadically coming into heat. If you encounter an early cycling doe, it's nuts and a privelege to just witness. I've seen 10 bucks on one doe. Poor thing. That's where you'll hear misinformed guys say "the rut is early this year" It's not. Does peak on a bell curve. Some are before the peak.

About last week of October, the yearlings (1.5 yo) can't take it anymore. They start running around and rutting hard. Lots of seeking and chasing, but mostly little guys. Amateurs.

The adult bucks (4.5+) know to be patient. They take it as it comes, but don't get too eager to chase the early wave.

Peak rut is about Nov 10-15 and everyone is getting into the action. Pandemonium or lockdown depending where you have the fortune of being, or not.

The following two weeks, the yearlings and adolescents are dead tired. They blew their load. That's when the big boys do their seeking and my favorite time to hunt, bar none.

very well said. Great advice and information

Spot on

@Buckeye Bowhunter
Yep, the exact same thing happening here, in N.W. Ohio. The big boys are still in the area, but so far, only at night. :rolleyes:
NE Ohio here too, yep same seeing 2.5 year olds in daylight but the older deer still moving in the dark. I’m going to get out on Sunday, maybe the cold temps that day will make a day walker, buts usually the 24th or the 25th where I start to see them on their feet earlier.

@bigmike23 the thing that’s nice about the last week of October is if you have a big buck somewhat patterned you do have a better chance of him getting out of bed before dark. By early / mid November you have a much better chance, but he’s now gone wacky with his routine.

Been raining on and off last few days here. Both evenings I have seen bucks grouped up in fields. I tried getting close tonight as they were a couple hundred yards away behind my parents house. I tried getting as close as I could and calling them in. Didn't work.

Someone else asked this and now that I’ve thought about it I’m pretty sure we’re in pre rut if not rut. Saw some chasing and roadkill is WAY up which in my parts is a solid indicator.

I had a nice 10ptr come in and bedded with a doe yesterday morning. Kicked a 6ptr and fork away. After about 2 hours he stood up and gave me a shot…Then I nicked him low and gave him a hair cut at 32 yds…. Watched him walk off make scrape lick the doe a bit and mill around for about 45 mins. I sat there and cried for about an hour and went home.

Seemed super early for all that to be happening by about 3-4 weeks. It was fun to watch though.

Back