• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunt Stand vs On X

I started using basemaps this year after using OnX since probably 2014. Im liking basemaps so far other then the fact you cant change symbol colors like you could on OnX. Aerials are a whole lot better on basemaps then OnX other then that they are about the same function wise.

I have started using huntwise and really like. might be something to look at also
I still currently have the onx account since I have so many waypoints stored .... but I find myself using Huntwise much more

Do these other options have the option to download an area for offline use like OnXhunt does or do you need a cell connection?

HuntStand for me because I like their mapping software and user friendliness vs OnX. Most important, my iPhone SE battery life lines HuntStand much more than OnX. I think most here will agree the best thing to do is try out a free full trial of each one and see what you like best, start a pro/con chart and go from there.

Do these other options have the option to download an area for offline use like OnXhunt does or do you need a cell connection?
Basemaps you can download offline maps pretty much the same way as OnX. Its also very easy to import your pins from OnX to basemaps

I have started using huntwise and really like. might be something to look at also
I still currently have the onx account since I have so many waypoints stored .... but I find myself using Huntwise much more
You can export all of your waypoints from OnX and upload them into Basemap. Not sure about Huntwise, but worth looking into. I'm trying Basemap this year for the first time (just doing the monthly membership to see what it's like). I agree with Jhand, the aerials are much better, and you have a lot more aerial/topo options than OnX. I still like the usability of OnX more though. Also, I find the web version of Basemap to be kind of laggy, when you zoom in or out it takes a little bit of time to buffer.

Whew. I use both. My simpleton mind likes the onX GUI but damnit is the info wrong ALL the time. Had the cops called on me twice last year cuz their info was wrong. HuntStand hasn’t done me wrong yet. Gonna hafta give the hat tip to HuntStand. I’m in Northern Virginia

I started using basemaps this year after using OnX since probably 2014. Im liking basemaps so far other then the fact you cant change symbol colors like you could on OnX. Aerials are a whole lot better on basemaps then OnX other then that they are about the same function wise.
I agree, I switched to Basemap, was able to import my OnX data and much prefer Basemap. I really like the hunt wind feature.

Someone educate me- I haven’t looked too deeply in any of this software because on the surface, I can’t see the benefit of it. I have HuntStand downloaded and have trail cams marked, but I can also do the same with google maps.

Tell me what I’m missing that makes this software worth using.

Semper Fi,
Mike
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the Outdoor TOPO layer in basemap the same as the hybrid in OnxHunt?

Someone educate me- I haven’t looked too deeply in any of this software because on the surface, I can’t see the benefit of it. I have HuntStand downloaded and have trail cams marked, but I can also do the same with google maps.

Tell me what I’m missing that makes this software worth using.

Semper Fi,
Mike
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it’s mainly for the added benefit of having land parcels and a few extra map overlays that include your pins without having to exchange coordinates from one website to another. If parcel data and extra maps with your pins on it isn’t something you need, then really you won’t have a need for it.

do any of these apps outline public land, letting you know what is "public" and what is "private"?

Back