• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting apps

Apex7

SH Member
What's your favorite hunting apps and why ? I have ONX and I was thinking about switching to either BaseMap or HuntWise. What do you guys think ?

ONX is the best thing in the last several years I have added to my arsenal, I hope they never go out of business.

What's your favorite hunting apps and why ? I have ONX and I was thinking about switching to either BaseMap or HuntWise. What do you guys think ?
I tried basemaps… switched to on x and I won’t go back. OnX is pretty good

Spartan Forge.

I also use OnX but have never used anything else. Between OnX and Google Earth Pro historical imagery I feel like I get everything I need. It would be nice to have access to more up to date imagery.

One of my favorite tools for scouting before heading to a new landscape is Google Earth. Not only is its 3D version beautiful and wildly accurate, but it also makes navigating a breeze.
If you find yourself out of service regularly and need quick access to property boundaries on the run, this might not be the sole app for you.

But it can be a great help in many, many ways. Historical and seasonal image data, the ability to save points, and the best 3D tech I’ve seen make this a must-have for your technological kit.

I use Huntwise. I really like their map layer features. Their "Land Cover" map layer is the most helpful scouting tool I've found on any app. To be honest the app was really weak last year, but it seems like they are quickly updating it. I have never used the paid version of OnX so I can't give a comparison unfortunately.

I use huntstand.
I didn't need it much for deer hunting, but bought it for land ownership names when looking for prairie dog hunting land. After i bought it, i use it more for deer hunting, morel hunting, etc. Works and price isn't too bad.

I do hunt a lot of land with a lot of different parties, so it is nice to pull up the ownership maps as there aren't any square tracks of land where i hunt. All oddball stuff with very few land markers.

Back