• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting Deer Over Water

Mschmeiske

SH Member
This is something I’ve thought about several times, but I’ve never tried it. Have any of you had success hunting over water? It’s going to be 80 degrees in NY today and I know of a secluded hole in the corner of a clear cut. I thought about giving it a try this evening and hanging a cam to see what happens around it after I’m gone.

This is something I’ve thought about several times, but I’ve never tried it. Have any of you had success hunting over water? It’s going to be 80 degrees in NY today and I know of a secluded hole in the corner of a clear cut. I thought about giving it a try this evening and hanging a cam to see what happens around it after I’m gone.

This is an N = 1 situation.

But I bypassed what was a known good spot, to scout closer to water. My thoughts because it’s a million degrees and I was confident the deer would have same access to food and be closer to the water, which had long since dried up in the good spot.

Besides tracks at the waters edge, I saw zero sign of deer near the water, and jumped none. Got to my good spot a half mile away, deer spraying every direction, looks same as last year.

They defintely go get water. But it sure seems like they walk half a mile to do it. Not sure when, or how often. And I don’t see a way to take advantage of this journey.

I’m not telling you not to hunt water. Just funny I had this same thought, and I would have been better off sitting next to the white oak dropping that I knew was dropping instead of burning 4 hours scouting.

If there are limited water sources in your area and it's been dry for a long time, there could be some possibilities there. :)
Check your State's regulations for shooting deer while they're IN the water, as in actually swimming. Some states do not allow this, as it's considered unethical and not considered "fair chase".

Ohio is one of the states that you cant shoot a deer in water.

Hunt the approaches to the water and hope the stupid thing doesnt go into the water after you shoot it. One of the properties I hunt, about every three years a deer decides to go into the creek no matter how far away it was from the creek unless you drop it on the spot. Though the last one I dropped it on the spot, but the thing was on top of the bank so it naturally fell right into the creek <_<

I don’t believe we can shoot them in the water and I personally wouldn’t anyhow. This is just a small watering hole tucked within an old cut. So I thought browse, potential bedding and water on a hot day. I might give it a try since it’s been something peaking my curiosity. Thanks for the replies!

We have a small lake in the property and I have a tree set up within 25 yds to water’s edge. Deer use the lake early, late, and once in a while right around lunchtime. Sometimes to drink, sometimes to eat acorns, sometimes to check some licking branches. Sometimes to sniff a doe’s backside. That’s when I want to be there. I have drawn on deer next to the bank and not shot for fear they’d immediately take a splash and I’d have a potential mess to deal with. Unfortunately some of the really good approach vectors to that tree offer shots that could have dramatic results due to the lake there. But if it was a stud buck or a fat doe, I’d probably chance it. When it’s really cold and/or snowy, I notice the deer use the lake as a drinking source much more often. Late October through December I can almost set my watch to deer activity around the lake if the weather is crisp. Took two deer within 50yds of the lake last year and had opportunities all around its tributary creeks as well, even when they were dried up. I can’t scientifically prove it myself but I believe they are prone to using the terrain around the water system much more deftly and safely than when they are going through open woods. Like they can get places more quickly but also escape danger in just a bound or two into the surrounding thickery.

I hunt big woods. Some ag in bottoms but I avoid those areas. Too many pilgrims.
I always mark ponds and water sources. In the area I am hunting this season I have found 3 ponds not on any maps. I don't necessarily set up in sight of a pond. But I look at the area within 300 yards or so from a water source. Funnels between bedding and a warer source is golden. During a wet year there will be water in the bottoms. But in Ky deer typically bed high and do not want to travel far for water. This year it has been dry so these ponds are going to attract deer.

I have a really good arm in a field that has a pond in it. I have hunted the area for five years and the only deer I have ever seen drinking there have been fawns. Only four youngens out of hundreds of deer I've watched go through this spot have actually gotten a drink there and the water is good. I think they obtain a lot of their water in the creeks and from dew on the leaves and grasses they are eating.

I’m late to the game but here’s my thought. Both parcels I hunt have creeks, I’ve rarely seen deer drink from them. I hung a cam at a creek crossing and also a depression that regularly filled with water, hardly got any pics at all. About the only time I’ve seen them go to water is when shot, especially gut shot they’ll make a beeline too it.
Now if there’s zero water around for quite a distance and you have no other sign anywhere else then hey sure. But in my limited experience it doesn’t provide the benefit or edge one would think.

Back