• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting in the rain

Photo4u2c

Oct 12, 2020
New to all of this, what do you guys do in the rain? Or do you use a saddle and repel system in the rain?

MJH

SH Member
Nov 28, 2017
Ontario Canada
I use a saddle in the rain all the time. I climb on bolts or sticks or clamp/strap on steps. I think this is 80% of us.

Reactions: Exhumis

NimbleTimbo

SH Member
Dec 10, 2021
Manheim, PA
I will hunt in a steady light rain, but I will avoid a heavy downpour if I can. I might look for more canopy cover, or still hunt instead. If I am in a tree and rain is expected, I generally either take sticks or if I 1-stick, I won't put on my rappel rope until it's time to rappel, so I don't have to dry 40 ft of rope.

raisins

SH Member
Jan 17, 2019
i don't hunt in steady rain that is of medium or high intensity anymore, either showers or just a steady light rain. i used to hunt in hard steady rains though.

anyways, if you are nervous about your hitches or mechanical devices grabbing, then i would wet them in a bucket and use them at ground level first, just to see what happens

i use distel hitches on everything, and they do work but perform differently, i think they get tighter due to the ropes sliding past each other more easily inside the hitch (ties a tighter faux knot)

i wouldn't hunt in the rain if the temperature was going to drop below freezing, i'm just not down with finding out what happens once my wet gear freezes while i'm 20 feet up a tree

other than that, i always immediately pull everything out of my pack and lay everything out to dry overnight

they say not to hang wet climbing gear up to dry because nylon and maybe a few other materials stretch while wet and the weight of them hanging can deform them, i hang my stuff up over a shower curtain rod and it seems to work fine

Reactions: Jackwsm

onestringer

SH Member
Aug 28, 2018
I try and avoid hunting in the rain......however if I do its out of my lone wolf climber and a tree umbrella.

Reactions: Pilk64

Pilk64

Dec 26, 2019
I use a tree umbrella and keep my rappel rope in my pack until I am ready to get down...this may not be so effective if the rain is coming in hard sideways...then refer to iamcorey's reply...lol

tailgunner

Feb 22, 2021
western Oregon blacktailwoods
Is there any other way to hunt but in the rain ?I only hunt in the rain .no choice.however blacktails will not be in tall timber when the rain is loud drippin. they cant hear in it and trust their ears more than there eyes.have to play it by ear. aliilttle drip but calm is OK to climb in tall timber.in steady rain it is OK to climb in 30 year reprod or shorter thick timber.but at the edge of short 5 foot reprod or clearcuts.i generally still hunting short reprod or spot n stalk clearcuts when its nasty out, rain ,wind exedera .but on mild days or even sunny, what ever that is.i will climb tall timber and see deer in it .but I know I'm waisting time when it gets noisy. there is a patern that i have seen. my gear has never failed in freezing rain .but i dont use what everyone els uses so that coment is void

Last edited:
Reactions: FLYIN_HAYN

Exhumis

SH Member
Mar 12, 2019
Northern Virginia
I hunt in the rain as well, not monsoon levels but a drizzle or more don’t hurt. I use a snugpak patrol poncho. Used to use mil surplus but they’re loud and stiff. I rappel as well and one stick. Just gotta take things slow and methodical, remember slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Double check your gear. My safeguard and smart 2.0 have been fine, just remember to dry out your line(rope for you non Navy types) and you’ll be fine. As others have said test your gear wet before you rely upon it/.

Weldabeast

SH Member
May 23, 2019
Northeast Florida
Especially archery season u can expect rain pretty much everyday here. If it's light I'll stay elevated. Frog tog hat, poncho, and my hip waders keep me dry, garbage bag for my vest or put it on under the poncho and I either hold the weapon in my lap under the poncho or clip it to the bottom molle on my saddle and let it hang underneath me... If it's raining hard I get down if I'm already elevated.... Overcast drizzly days are the days I've seen the most action and I get limited access to hunt so it has to be really yucky for me to not go hunt on a day I have permission... Drying everything out isn't fun... Having a backup saddle system isn't a bad idea if u live in a region that gets a lot of rain....

It's Florida... If u don't like the weather, wait an hour

My rappel system used friction hitches so can't comment on using devices... Wet rope bites harder... easier to lock up a prusik... Just except the situation and take ur time... Rushing takes longer in the end

woodsdog2

SH Member
Jun 28, 2019
I hunt in the rain as well, not monsoon levels but a drizzle or more don’t hurt. I use a snugpak patrol poncho. Used to use mil surplus but they’re loud and stiff. I rappel as well and one stick. Just gotta take things slow and methodical, remember slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Double check your gear. My safeguard and smart 2.0 have been fine, just remember to dry out your line(rope for you non Navy types) and you’ll be fine. As others have said test your gear wet before you rely upon it/.
snugpak is great kit bro!!

Reactions: Exhumis

woodsdog2

SH Member
Jun 28, 2019
Some of my best hunting has been during light rain or just after a rain. I hate hunting in heavy rain and rarely do any more. I'll wait it out if the forecast calls for intermittent showers. That can be some great hunting and awesome for quiet scouting and setups. I have found wool clothes are the best if you're hunting in a lot of rain. Anything with cotton blends is horrible avoid it at all costs. I do have a Guide Gear rain coat that works pretty well, it has a silent outer shell and an inner water repellent lining and in light rains that works pretty good to keep the water from soaking through. I have and use a GI poncho or pack cover if walking in during a rain if the forecast calls for it to stop. That's the best time to slink into your setups!!!

tailgunner

Feb 22, 2021
western Oregon blacktailwoods
Especially archery season u can expect rain pretty much everyday here. If it's light I'll stay elevated. Frog tog hat, poncho, and my hip waders keep me dry, garbage bag for my vest or put it on under the poncho and I either hold the weapon in my lap under the poncho or clip it to the bottom molle on my saddle and let it hang underneath me... If it's raining hard I get down if I'm already elevated.... Overcast drizzly days are the days I've seen the most action and I get limited access to hunt so it has to be really yucky for me to not go hunt on a day I have permission... Drying everything out isn't fun... Having a backup saddle system isn't a bad idea if u live in a region that gets a lot of rain....

It's Florida... If u don't like the weather, wait an hour

My rappel system used friction hitches so can't comment on using devices... Wet rope bites harder... easier to lock up a prusik... Just except the situation and take ur time... Rushing takes longer in the end
This is why make all my saddle gear out of polyester .holds less water and drys a little better .my nylon stuff all smells moldy.some days all my clothes and boots and fannypack stink, but my saddle is not that bad.

Marmuzz

Feb 22, 2021
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
I hunt in the rain but I don’t prefer to from the saddle. I hate being wet and I just don’t like having more wet gear than necessary. Plus, usually by the time of year that I’m hunting it’s pretty cold, so staying still in rain gets chilly. But, if you keep a sharp eye out, I think the wet turf, diminished scent trail, and dripping noises provide great cover to sneak up on deer. Just remember they can even more silently sneak up on you too.

Reactions: tailgunner

CooterBrown

SH Member
Sep 1, 2020
I killed an 8 point in the worst thunderstorm I've ever seen setting in a tripod overlooking a green field when a doe and a spike ran thru the field and 10 minutes latter the 8 point came thru and I grunted and he stopped long enough for a shot. The tripod had a cover over it so I wasn't getting so soaked tho.

Reactions: tailgunner