• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting Pack

public_land

I have several packs that I have used over the years, but none of them have exactly what I want. I plan to take some ideas from each pack and make my own. I have searched for materials that would be best for making a backpack, but I cannot find a clear answer. Any of you guys made a backpack? Any suggestions on material(s) to use? I want this pack to stand up to abrasion, rain, sun, snow, basically any condition you might encounter on a hunting trip. I would also like to use as light of a material as possible. I have a sewing machine that I have been tinkering with, and I will have a second in a couple of months (mother-in-law is bringing her old singer when she comes to visit the grand kids). This second machine will be able to handle heavier material and more layers at a time. Also, if you have ideas on what you might want in your "perfect pack" what would you add or take away from the pack(s) you use?

Some basic thoughts I have:

incorporate attach/detach from ALICE pack frame
expand pack from frame to allow packing out game without shoving into bag
pruner pocket on should strap (maybe hand saw pocket too on other strap)
WE pouch (removable so I can hook to saddle while climbing)
predator platform pocket
bow/quiver pocket (compound, maybe selfbow too so I won't need a hoist rope)
sized pockets for other specific gear (lay out everything I carry and plan this backpack accordingly)
MOLLE webbing for pouch/pocket removal

Thanks

Following!

Also wondering what others are recommending for material.

I’m currently working on my first diy saddle but picked up the machine with the intent to make a pack that has what I want. Material choice is unclear. I have a couple types of fleece and a few different weights of Cordura. Looking into other materials for various purposes, possibly some x-pac, vx07, vx21, vx42 soft hand, 420d packcloth, double grid ripstop or Robic ripstop. My problem is choosing without handling it first and I’m new to this.......what does it all mean????? I defiantly will be spending some more time trying to figure it all out (and finds out what else is out there) but I will make a mock-up with some basic materials and maybe just end up with fleece, 330d/500d Cordura for some structure and a light ripstop liner. Most if not all of the info I can find on various fabrics comes from ultra light backpackers, most of which are not concerned with noise as much as weight and durability.

My pack ideas may not suit other as I like to take only the “basics”. I want to keep my sticks /steps and optional predator as close to my body as possible and make a functional and sleek design. I’m looking at hdpe or kydex for a frame sheet. I plan on having two “wings” on either side. The one on the right will hold the items I need while climbing (ros, tether, gear hanger, secondary LB, pull rope (I may switch to a retractable fixed to the pack) and aider). This wing will have the ability to be semi-removed from the pack and attached to the front left shoulder strap or body of the pack via one strap so the gear is now in the front for easy access. The left wing will be designed in a similar way but will be semi-removed and strapped across the tree to hold my accessories (rangefinder, binos, grunt, water, headlamp, phone pocket etc.) right in front of me as I hunt. I’m right handed and hang pack on right side of tree. I will then have a panel that covers the pack from the bottom up to add a little security and lift to the sticks, maybe a lid to keep out the elements, with small pockets on each.

I gave up on carrying anything on my saddle besides the girth hitched LB and a stick on each side as I climb so I want everything easily accessible without having to dig. I would like to be able to remover the predator without having to remove the pack. It has to carry layers. Balance is a concern and will have to be considered in the design. Im hoping to create a functional, compact, versatile pack and have a finished weight in the neighborhood of 3 lbs.......this is going to be a process!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking about that very thing the other day. I carry my predator up in my pack and have the we steps on my side in the bag. When I get to height I have take pack off to get at the predator. I thought about another hauling line but I already have one for the bow. At the end of the day sometimes I just drop the platform and put it in my pack when I get down. Not exactly a silent departure. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Thanks

Do you mind sharing what materials you decided on and why?

I will hang on to see what you end up with.
I don't get fancy with materials. Cordura is relatively inexpensive and proven durable. Xpac material is nice but way over priced and probably louder than Cordura unless you get some with a suede type outer layer which gets even more expensive. A couple of you have already noted something key, you can't find what you want in a pack. I'm going to put something together that will hit the sweet spot for 90% of us, at least I think so. To me it seems the majority consensus for a saddle pack is no waist belt, a belt just adds to much to the on tree profile. Layout is always an issue for me, and sometimes what I need/want one day may be different the next. I don't want a half a dozen bags laying around either.

@public_land this was your thread so if you prefer I will start another thread as to not take away from yours, just let me know

I don't get fancy with materials. Cordura is relatively inexpensive and proven durable. Xpac material is nice but way over priced and probably louder than Cordura unless you get some with a suede type outer layer which gets even more expensive. A couple of you have already noted something key, you can't find what you want in a pack. I'm going to put something together that will hit the sweet spot for 90% of us, at least I think so. To me it seems the majority consensus for a saddle pack is no waist belt, a belt just adds to much to the on tree profile. Layout is always an issue for me, and sometimes what I need/want one day may be different the next. I don't want a half a dozen bags laying around either.

@public_land this was your thread so if you prefer I will start another thread as to not take away from yours, just let me know

No big deal to me. Your bag will answer my questions and provide ideas. Glad you are willing to share it with us once you have it done.

Following...I've been debating on a design for a DIY pack as well. This is good timing!

Don't forget fleece - the heavy polar fleece is incredibly strong and quiet. I am following this as I have tried a buttload of packs last year and still didn't find anything better than my KK fleece bag.

Back