• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting Poncho recommendations

MJH

SH Member
I moose hunted
up north this year and sat in solid rain for a week. Thankfully I had my military surplus poncho which kept me dry. Trouble is that it is old, heavy and needs to get replaced.

In a perfect world, I would like a poncho that is light weight, durable, camo one side and orange the other side. Yes that is a big ask. The best I have found so far is this. Any other suggestions?

I have one i keep in my vest for turkey. I think Nomad makes it. No orange, but hooded, quarter zip with a front pocket. Works awesome for turkey.

Reactions: MJH
How do you guys wear the poncho with the saddle and tether?

How do you guys wear the poncho with the saddle and tether?
I don't wear the hood and have a separate hat. I also have hip waders that are the other needed part of the equation. U wear the poncho with the button seem right in front of u and u can button up with ur bridge/tether coming out between the snaps/buttons. Reach up from the inside and close the gap around the saddle stuff with ur hand. I put my vest/backpack back on and lay my bow across my lap or can clip to the molle on the saddle and let it hang under u. I unfortunately have been in this position for many hours and u can stay very dry like that in very hard downpours.
I have regular old froggy togg so no orange

I moose hunted
up north this year and sat in solid rain for a week. Thankfully I had my military surplus poncho which kept me dry. Trouble is that it is old, heavy and needs to get replaced.

In a perfect world, I would like a poncho that is light weight, durable, camo one side and orange the other side. Yes that is a big ask. The best I have found so far is this. Any other suggestions?

If you sat in that military poncho for a week, with that poncho smell, you get the award of the purple nose bleed! My heart goes out to you, my friend…that smell STILL permeates my brain!

Back