• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting Safety Video

ThumbsMcGee

My profession is safety, and right now I’m making a hunting safety video. The theme is playing off of poor hunting stereotypes. I’m looking for ideas to include in the video. Here’s what I have so far:

-the beer drinker (while hunting)
-the no-fall protection guy
-the poor weapon-handler
-the “no-blaze-Orange” guy (firearm season)

What other unsafe stereotypes can you think of? I’m needing all the input I can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My profession is safety, and right now I’m making a hunting safety video. The theme is playing off of poor hunting stereotypes. I’m looking for ideas to include in the video. Here’s what I have so far:

-the beer drinker (while hunting)
-the no-fall protection guy
-the poor weapon-handler
-the “no-blaze-Orange” guy (firearm season)

What other unsafe stereotypes can you think of? I’m needing all the input I can get.

Someone almost shot me with a muzzleloader while I was perched next my 2D decoy. Aimed right at my “deer” and pulled his muzzle away only after seeing me shift weight in my blaze orange. He actually came up to my tree and said “I almost shot at you”. Dunno what stereotype that fits into, maybe “know what’s at the other end of your weapon”.

I had a guy shoot a tree about 10 yds in front of me one year. He walked in at 8:00 in the morning dragging his white 5 gallon bucket thru the underbrush (I thought Ringo Starr was walking in) quartering toward me across the opening I was sitting on. I was waving my orange hat with my orange arms but he "apparently" didn't see me. He walked around a point just out of sight of me over the saddle I was on and set up about 50 yds away looking at the same 2 acre opening I was observing. I sat there listening to him work the bolt of his rifle about 6 times. I can only guess he was trying to figure out how to chamber a round and still have a full mag. I was just about to get up and walk over to ask him to move on when all of a sudden I hear "THWACK . . . BOOM" and the tree in front of me just splinters. I start hollering and swearing and walk over there. He's looking kind of sheepish and says "I'm sorry, were you hunting here?, I'll find another spot." As he starts to pick up his bucket he turns to me and says, "Did you hear the guy just shoot from over the ridge". I turned back and informed him in no uncertain terms that I had heard HIM shoot and that next year he should learn how to use his firearm before walking out to hunt, and NEVER, NEVER pull the trigger to see if the safety is on.

Another one: Using you riflescope as binoculars. I can't count on a single hand the number times I've witnessed someone "scoping" me. I wonder how many I haven't seen.

And people wonder I don't rifle hunt much anymore . . .

Can't say that I've seen too much crazy stuff (weird, given Alabama's reputation), but I do have a word of caution...

Make sure to thoroughly unwrap any snacks you bring up in the tree with you. Don't ask, just do.

I've been nearly shot on my property SEVERAL times. Had a neighbor shot and killed by a member of his hunting party. Both myself and another neighbor have been nearly shot, cops called both times, while in 16 ft tree stands on our properties from hunters on other properties. Listening to slugs pinging through tree branches or whistling past your ear. Sky lighting, shooting at running deer, not looking beyond target, ect,ect.

I was rifle hunting on public land one year, when walking out I ran into a guy wearing brown Carhartt coveralls and carrying two white milk jugs walking down the road. He didn't have any florescent orange on. I asked him what he was doing and he explained he was going to an old spring to fill up his milk jugs with water. I explained to him how much he looked like a deer and you could see the light bulb come on, at which point he turned around and headed back.

This happened at my favorite wma...

That’s something you hear about the possibility of, not something you think is actually going to happen. Sobering, to say the least.

How about the doesn't check his gear guy. You know the guy that leaves his hang on up year round and never thinks to check the straps or stand before use.

Or the guy that assumes his gun is still sighted in and misses or injures deer before checking.

Maybe the trespasser that almost gets shot in gun season because no one knew he was there.

Can't say that I've seen too much crazy stuff (weird, given Alabama's reputation), but I do have a word of caution...

Make sure to thoroughly unwrap any snacks you bring up in the tree with you. Don't ask, just do.

Did someone eat the Twinkie with the wrapper still on.....?

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

Or the permanent stand that never gets checked again.

Or the guy that busts your hunt because he doesn’t know where he is and has crossed into your camps territory then gets mad at you and starts swearing at you and threatening you. While your both holding guns..........

Back