• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting with a scout without steps?

Andrew

How many of you are hunting off a scout without any other steps to help shoot around the tree? Are you content with your ability to make various shots? I’m considering trying one out on my top stick and giving up the platform I’ve been using.

And if you are using steps in conjunction with the scout, let me know how many and how you’re using them. Season is getting close!!

Last edited:
Last year I one sticked with a muddy pro and used a solo scout. I started off just using the scout but had a whopper come in to my five a clock and I couldn't get turned around in time to make a shot. I shoot right handed. I thought I was set up for a majority of the deer movement about 20 yards from an inside corner and a small creek that funnels deer to an overgrown orchard. Most of the deer come to my left or strong side. This guy had different plans. I added two old vet wrapped Ameristep plastic steps to either side of my scout the next day.

This year I plan on mostly using my EWO ultimate one stick with the UP platform. I also traded for an EDP but that was so recent I haven't tried out all shooting positions with it yet. I probably will not need anything with that but I'm not completely sure yet.

Last year I one sticked with a muddy pro and used a solo scout. I started off just using the scout but had a whopper come in to my five a clock and I couldn't get turned around in time to make a shot. I shoot right handed. I thought I was set up for a majority of the deer movement about 20 yards from an inside corner and a small creek that funnels deer to an overgrown orchard. Most of the deer come to my left or strong side. This guy had different plans. I added two old vet wrapped Ameristep plastic steps to either side of my scout the next day.

This year I plan on mostly using my EWO ultimate one stick with the UP platform. I also traded for an EDP but that was so recent I haven't tried out all shooting positions with it yet. I probably will not need anything with that but I'm not completely sure yet.

Are you planing on using the two steps with the UP platform or have you found you can cover everything without the help of the steps. Thanks for the detailed reply.

Last edited:
I hunted all last year with a scout without steps. It’s doable and I was content with it. I’m giving ROS a go this year. If I’m not in love with them I’ll be back to the angled scout. It takes a little practice and some fancy footwork but the shot options are there with just a scout. When I had to make a weak side shot across my body last year I was not as comfortable as I would have wanted. I felt like a pretzel.

Last edited:
I’d be curious to see the response……. I tried a solo scout for a few hunts & sold it. I don’t get how it’s worth it compared to a ROS it’s bulkier & less real estate. With a few steps sure but I don’t really get that either. So all that said one of my favorite setups is a good double step style stick & a few steps at the same elevation ( achieved with the top of my onestick or the top stick if using multiples) maybe if you have smallish feet but even then ………..

Yeah I agree. If I can just use the scout, I think other options like a dedicated platform or ROS makes more sense.

I’ve thought about giving a ROS a try again. How many are you using when you incorporate your top step? 3 or 4?

Yeah I agree. If I can just use the scout, I think other options like a dedicated platform or ROS makes more sense.

I’ve thought about giving a ROS a try again. How many are you using when you incorporate your top step? 3 or 4?
If I use the top of my step then 4 in pairs about 3-4” apart at 60deg & 120deg to my stick. If just ROS then 6. I don’t find ROS super comfortable unless in pairs, then they’re hard to beat!

Are you planing on using the two steps with the UP platform or have you found you can cover everything without the help of the steps. Thanks for the detailed reply.
Not sure yet. It feels like I can do it without but that's what I thought with the solo scout too. My problem wasn't so much not being able to eventually get into a shooting position, it was the time it took me to do that and I believe that buck saw my movement. The fact that he was there surprised me and the fact that he was a crusher surprised me too. I panicked trying to get into position. Instead I should have done nothing until he was beyond me a little bit more and then made movements for getting into position. I like the solo scout I think its very light and sturdy but I will not use it now without the steps on the side.

I've been messing with a Bullman's (6)ROS and my one stick. Since I'm mostly a sitter, I found 2 steps on each side and the stick between my legs most comfortable, then the last 2 steps evenly space on other side of tree, kind of like a cross. At first I had the top step leveled with the ROS, but I found that setting the ROS between the stick actually make sense for me. I can rest my feet at an angle with my toes against the ROS and the ball of my feet at the bottom stick step if I wanted a different resting position. Then use the top stick step to push off for movement.

I agree with the majority, nothing wrong with ROS for short hunt, but I dont know if I would give it up for my large platform even if its a 4-5 lbs saving. The ability to stand straight up and even move around a little is worth the weight. Especially if I need to take a piss (but I will rappel down for the other type of nature call).

Please explain... if you repel down? are you bringing the one stick down with you so you can get back up?

No, leaving everything up. I will rappel down with my GriGri, then SRT up with my Kong Duck+Carabiner+foot loop. If I actually had the time to scout and presets, I would honest do more SRTs compared to 1stick. All of this is planning and testing phase BTW. But I found this SRTing/1stick combo works really well. A Kong Duck+Carabiner is basically the same principle as an hand ascender, not that its that much more of a hassle to carry a hand ascender, just for me I didn't need it as I can climb just as well.

I like no sticking with solo scout and workhorse (3 step aider) and can get around a decent sized tree for shots with just the scout. I have also been considering adding a step or two to the scout strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been a dedicated ROS user for over 10 years, tried platforms but always missed being able to walk around the tree on my steps. I did a half-dozen hunts with the solo scout and a couple of slotted steps and like that setup for certain situations. It is definitely more comfortable to have that extra foot room on long sits - I’ve done all-day sits with ROS and all-day sit with the solo scout + steps, and it’s easier to do with the scout. There are definitely times when I’ll go ROS only and then times when I’ll use scout.

I think in smaller trees that you could use the scout only, but I, personally, just have to have a couple of steps to move around the tree. YMMV.

Hey drew, do you add the steps to the Scouts strap once you climb or do you keep 'em on their own strap?
I have a SOLO Pre-Set on the way and I'm pretty excited to try out all the combinations...

Hey drew, do you add the steps to the Scouts strap once you climb or do you keep 'em on their own strap?
I have a SOLO Pre-Set on the way and I'm pretty excited to try out all the combinations...

I have the slotted aluminum steps like the slotted squirrel steps and thread them onto the same strap as the solo scout when I set it. Works fine for me.

I keep them on the strap. I vet wrapped the steps to keep the clicking down.

Tried my Scout ( modded top to be like half a monarch ) on Fixed Shikar recently to shoot recurve and to compare to my UP stick and ROS.
It’s a realistic option for most trees. However I struggle with shots from 11 to 1 o’clock and 5 to 7 compared to ROS or UP on larger trees.
last season I used @Razorbacks solo scout with 2 steps on strap- valuable to change up foot pressure as well as shot options. Settled on stick Scout as I liked the added clearance from standoffs.
UP Wings and angle at standoffs allow me to lean out more than Scout. Also can pivot a bit more ( size 9 boots) UP vs Scout.
Im also trying ROS on its own and hope to be comfortable enough with it come Season, for a few spots where deer tend to come in on various sides.

anyway - yes run a scout with 2-3 of your preferred steps

How many of you are hunting off a scout without any other steps to help shoot around the tree? Are you content with your ability to make various shots? I’m considering trying one out on my top stick and giving up the platform I’ve been using.

And if you are using steps in conjunction with the scout, let me know how many and how you’re using them. Season is getting close!!
Try a Scout with a couple of Squirrel Steps

Back