• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting wrist watch suggestions?

Rmurraymd

Hey guys. What is your wrist watch a choice? anyone have a compass watch? hoping to find one I don’t have to recharge, most of the compass, advanced ones/gps are recharge ones ie Kuiu has a nice one but it’s rechargeable. Thx in advance

I was looking for a decent high end watch for hunting. I have had alot of different ones in the past. I ended up with an iwatch. Just too many benifits if u have an iPhone also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suunto, I’ve had them all. Suunto makes the other look silly when it comes to durability and features.

Garmin Fenix 5x Plus. It’s primarily my running watch, but has compass, GPS, and maps. I can also mark waypoints with it, and create custom routes on the mapping software. Store music for Bluetooth headphones and stores payment information for places that accept Garmin Pay (kind of like Apple Pay on your iPhone). It has the sapphire glass, which is a durable as anything I’ve seen. It’s stood up to countless Spartan, Tough Mudder, and several other obstacle course races.

It does require recharging, but I can go for several days without needing to recharge. Depends on what all I do. If I go run for 2 hours and listen to music the whole time from the watch, and mapping with GPS, it’ll be down to about 85% by the time I’m done.

I have had the G-shock master of G “Rangeman” for about 5 years, it is charged by the sun, it has a compass, barometer, thermometer, altimeter, cool features like snooze on the alarm, all sorts of good stuff. It was about 4 bills when I originally bought it. I think you can get it cheaper now. Steer clear of the new range man though, it is about 900 bucks.

For those who having a mapping watch. How often do you utilize it. I hunt big woods and always have a handheld gps as well as a phone. But when walking in general directions I use a compass. I have an engineers compass I use but hate pulling it out the pocket each time. I’ve been thinking on getting a watch with mapping capabilities to alleviate the hassle. Also how is the user friendliness of the watch? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Can follow a “breadcrumb trail” by selecting “back to start” on the course you create. Can mark specific waypoints as you go. Easy and intuitive to use. Lots of options.

For those who having a mapping watch. How often do you utilize it. I hunt big woods and always have a handheld gps as well as a phone. But when walking in general directions I use a compass. I have an engineers compass I use but hate pulling it out the pocket each time. I’ve been thinking on getting a watch with mapping capabilities to alleviate the hassle. Also how is the user friendliness of the watch? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I used to carry a handheld. Now I just walk and if I start questioning my direction I just hit GPS on my watch and it has saved routes back to the truck. Battery life is very good as well. Never came close to killing it. I have a Garmin instinct. It is a very capable 300 dollar watch. I would like to have a Fenix but can't bring myself to spend that much on a watch

Broken wrist band watch in my coat pocket!! I keep breaking bands with my back pack strap. Done it also with my tree lounge carrying straps. I'm too rough on bands,got me a 15 dollar wally world special to carry in pocket when hunting! Use a Garmin hcx for marking stand sites.

Broken wrist band watch in my coat pocket!! I keep breaking bands with my back pack strap. Done it also with my tree lounge carrying straps. I'm too rough on bands,got me a 15 dollar wally world special to carry in pocket when hunting! Use a Garmin hcx for marking stand sites.
You got the good one! I buy the ones for $8 there!

I love my Garmin Fenix 5X. It does have to be charged about every 10-12 days unless I’m using the GPS a lot and then about every 6 days.
88736de1f61fd4096f6b29b2852530a8.jpg

My Garmin Fenix 3HR came yesterday. I owned a Suunto for a few years and after numerous issues and not the greatest customer service I ditched and went with Garmin. I'm a huge fan of all the 'bells and whistles' of the 3 however, there's vastly more features with their 5 and 6 models but also come at a steeper price point.

Back