• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hybrid question

Zero One Actual

SH Member
I'm hunting in Virginia this week and have a hybrid question since this is my first time trying it.

My friend has a a pre hung Lone Wolf hang on. I have a dryad drey. My question is this:

He already has the stand facing the proper direction to shoot from standing or the seated position with my back to the tree. So if I want to use the saddle also, then I'd be facing the tree and potentially have the deer coming from my back. Is this correct? That seems incorrect. What am I setting up wrong or doing wrong to try the hybrid style?

Last edited:
If it’s a climber can’t u just walk it around the tree to fit your needs?

Yea when I’m in “hybrid” mode I set my stand up like u would a normal saddle platform. Facing the tree.

I have had sets where I use it like a normal stand and my back is to the tree. The safety police wouldn’t like this as I a tiny bit of slack in my system. Since I have to let my tether out a bit to sit down. It’s very minimal amount slack.

If it’s a climber can’t u just walk it around the tree to fit your needs?

Yea when I’m in “hybrid” mode I set my stand up like u would a normal saddle platform. Facing the tree.

I have had sets where I use it like a normal stand and my back is to the tree. The safety police wouldn’t like this as I a tiny bit of slack in my system. Since I have to let my tether out a bit to sit down. It’s very minimal amount slack.
Yes. That's what I'm doing right now. He already has the hang on pre set and I don't want to move it to the other side of the tree because it isn't mine. Thanks for the backup and info.

Last edited:
That's what makes the combo work so well, it really doesnt matter when you pair a saddle with a stand. The maximum amount of flexibility in setup.

That's what makes the combo work so well, it really doesnt matter when you pair a saddle with a stand. The maximum amount of flexibility in setup.
I guess in my brain I'd need to do the following. I will try to type this out to make sense.

When we set up a platform, we are trying to set it up for the optimal shot to be on our strong side (right or gifted handed) and also use back cover etc.

I'm guessing with a hang on you would split that difference? Meaning if you normally set your platform up as a right handed shooter to shoot easily from the 6-12 o'clock position why not set the hang on up at the 8 o'clock position? That way if you are facing the tree you can get your shot off or if you are sitting you don't get deep sixed from the rear? Or am I overthinking it? I'm currently back to tree and if I were to turn around and hang from my saddle I would be facing the complete wrong direction from where the action should come from.

Attachments

• IMG_3556.jpeg
    IMG_3556.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I guess in my brain I'd need to do the following. I will try to type this out to make sense.

When we set up a platform, we are trying to set it up for the optimal shot to be on our strong side (right or gifted handed) and also use back cover etc.

I'm guessing with a climber you would split that difference? Meaning if you normally set your platform up as a right handed shooter to shoot easily from the 6-12 o'clock position why not set the climber up at the 8 o'clock position? That way if you are facing the tree you can get your shot off or if you are sitting you don't get deep sixed from the rear? Or am I overthinking it? I'm currently back to tree and if I were to turn around and hang from my saddle I would be facing the complete wrong direction from where the action should come from.
In my estimation it really comes down to the number of high odds spots of deer travel and the available trees. If you are in a tight pinch deer most likely are not going to be coming from all points on the compass but you may have very limited trees. The best tree may set up best for a traditional stand setup due to limb structure or other cover. In that case you can hang like a regular stand. Or that tree may set up best to hang from the back side of the tree and in that case hang like a saddle platform. If deer can come from anywhere and do, I think it is which ever setup works best for available cover and keep your head on swivel. The only wrong answer is not being in the right tree and I have been wrong plenty enough times lol.

In my estimation it really comes down to the number of high odds spots of deer travel and the available trees. If you are in a tight pinch deer most likely are not going to be coming from all points on the compass but you may have very limited trees. The best tree may set up best for a traditional stand setup due to limb structure or other cover. In that case you can hang like a regular stand. Or that tree may set up best to hang from the back side of the tree and in that case hang like a saddle platform. If deer can come from anywhere and do, I think it is which ever setup works best for available cover and keep your head on swivel. The only wrong answer is not being in the right tree and I have been wrong plenty enough times lol.
I should be getting paid by an arborist company at this point I'm in the trees so much.

Thank you for the advice. Seems like all the normal rules apply, aside from just having a sitting option if I want it. I don't think I'll be buying a hang on. I'm just here for the week on a friends land with pre sets.

Last edited:
Am I missing something? How is a climber facing any certain direction? Don’t you climb the tree with it and put it in whatever side you want, then climb down?

Couldn’t you just hunt how you want and leave the stand like you found it?

My head hurts

I don’t mind being set up as you are.

Having the platform towards where you expect deer gives you maximum shooting without acrobatics.

Also it sets the stand’s seat up for viewing deer.

I find there’s less of a blind spot behind me in a saddle than a stand, because there is no tree trunk to impede field of view.

Just, you’re more exposed this way, if that’s an issue for you.

I’ve went exclusively to a hybrid set up. I set up in a traditional hang on set up but I’m also setting it to were I can lean into the RCH and lean out or around. I may be wrong in my thinking or I set up wrong for traditional hang on. Look up how Dan infalt sets up. That’s how I do it. I didn’t realize did until I watched the video

Back