• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I am now a bolt believer.....

Murph4028

Vendor Rep
My plan for this coming season was pre-sets and I was originally just going to use Cranfords but after seeing all the carbon fiber bolt talk on here I decided to order some. They came in the mail today so I took the bolts and my mantis out in the backyard and started drilling. Man once you get your tree prepped you absolutely cant beat a set of bolts. They fit anywhere and are ultra light. I get over 20ft in no time and to make the deal a little sweeter they make a great ring of steps. So my climbing method and ring of steps both fit in an SYS hauler. Glad I decided to get them after reading all the good info on here and plan on making them my only climbing method from now on when I have access to my pre set spots.

My plan for this coming season was pre-sets and I was originally just going to use Cranfords but after seeing all the carbon fiber bolt talk on here I decided to order some. They came in the mail today so I took the bolts and my mantis out in the backyard and started drilling. Man once you get your tree prepped you absolutely cant beat a set of bolts. They fit anywhere and are ultra light. I get over 20ft in no time and to make the deal a little sweeter they make a great ring of steps. So my climbing method and ring of steps both fit in an SYS hauler. Glad I decided to get them after reading all the good info on here and plan on making them my only climbing method from now on when I have access to my pre set spots.
What drill are you using?

Man once you get your tree prepped you absolutely cant beat a set of bolts. They fit anywhere and are ultra light.

This is my plan for some private property this fall as well. After hearing others talk about it and doing my own research, it definitely seems like a great option. @Nutterbuster was very helpful to me, as was @Bwhana. There are some other good past threads on this site about the topic. @Nutterbuster passed along a video to me of a Mr. Womack (also on this site I think) showing example of setting the bolts. See below.

Luckily here in NC it's all legal as long as you aren't leaving any metal in the tree when you leave

All us Tn boys are Jealous!!! We want spurs!!!!! We want Bolts!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
All is Tn boys are Jealous!!! We want spurs!!!!! We want Bolts!!!!!

I actually own spurs but for me personally they didn't live up to the hype. I am not afraid of heights and I jump out of airplanes regularly but for some reason could never trust spurs. Always felt awkward like I could fall at any second. I won't hunt with a system I am not comfortable with.

Agreed. Pre drilled with a cordless drill and bolts/carbon rods are awesome. I repeat awesome. Hand drilling with the EZ Kut totally sucks.

I like using my bolts early, Im a hang and hunt guy with a lot of spots. Very few trees I hunt more than once.

If you have a tree you hunt on the regular and love I wouldn't drill it if theres not an alternative tree. Ive killed a few over the years 2 walnut and a cottonwood that Im aware of. I have abused Hackberry and Honey Locust with no Ill effects so far.

In my area its mostly red and white oaks and I am the same way I usually prep atleast 20-30 spots post season for the upcoming season and only hunt them a few times.

In my area its mostly red and white oaks and I am the same way I usually prep atleast 20-30 spots post season for the upcoming season and only hunt them a few times.
So if you pre drill now. The bolts will slip in no problem in October/November?

So if you pre drill now. The bolts will slip in no problem in October/November?
No. The tree will grow the holes closed. IMO, if the tree isn't too crazy far from home, then wait until later summer to drill. You can still do major tree prep now, like heavy pruning for access routes or shooting lanes. But most sets will require fine tuning after summer growth. That's the time to bore trees.

In some cases, we don't have the luxury of returning until we actually hunt it, then bore and bolt now. Just be aware bolts won't pull out without tools after the tree grows. You will need vice grips or other method to pry/unscrew.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thanks Tom. I wasn’t planning on leaving bolts in tree. Just drill the holes. I know trees can grow quite a bit from now until the fall. Ill
Just wait til September

No. @Allegheny Tom is correct. Drilling too early is a mistake. What I meant by prepping trees was identifying them based on the locations Ive scouted and cutting shooting lanes. I plan on drilling around mid june. Dont wanna drill too close to season and get the bucks in the area skittish.

I’m going to try bolts on private this year.. I was going to prep some now. I have 1/2” bolts do u think they will grow shut? And wasn’t there talk of treehopper making a 1/2” drill option?

I’m going to try bolts on private this year.. I was going to prep some now. I have 1/2” bolts do u think they will grow shut? And wasn’t there talk of treehopper making a 1/2” drill option?

Glowing closed won't be less of an issue with 1/2". I haven't talked about 1/2" with Mark for a few months. He has most likely been occupied with correcting the issues with the hand bit. But the last time I mentioned 1/2" to him, it sounded like it was still in the plan. Not sure what the current status is.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have 1/2 inch carbon bolts. I bought a 1/2 inch boring bit from lowes. The same type of bit you get with a treehopper drill and I use it with a cordless drill.

I have 1/2 inch carbon bolts. I bought a 1/2 inch boring bit from lowes. The same type of bit you get with a treehopper drill and I use it with a cordless drill.

Ya I bought an Irwin speedbore bit and welded a washer in it for a stop.. I was just looking for something compact to carry with me to clean holes if I needed too. Where did I order the 1/2” carbon rod and how much weight will it hold I’m 270

I ordered it from rock west composites. I dont know how much weight it will hold but they are very strong. Most people go with 3/8 diameter I believe and they have no issues at all so with 1/2 inch you are an 1/8 bigger and Im sure it provides a lot more strength. At 270 you got about 70 lbs on me so I dont wanna speak for you but I can tell you at 200/205 these 1/2 inch bolts are solid.

Back