• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I CAN’T KEEP MY FEET WARM

chismgoodrich

I’m wearing thick socks and good boots and when it gets below 40 I freeze my feet. How can I fix this

i wear midwieght merino socks with a toewarmer on top, feet are fine in rubber boots. if boots are tight with heavy socks my feet freeze

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

merino wool socks and make sure your boots are not super tight fitting. As mentioned above, rubber boots are not the best for warmth.

Many factors go into cold feet IMO. My dad and one of my buddies struggle with it. For me I wear 400 gram boots below 45 with good socks and below 35 I add the Artic Shield boot covers. I don’t get cold feet with that setup. Boot covers go on as soon as I’m up in the tree to keep the warmth I’ve created in

Here’s my advice because I’ve fought with this for years.

1. Spray your feet with unscented antiperspirant to help keep your feet from sweating on the walk in.

2. Try a silk sock liner. They help wick away sweat to keep your feet warmer. Wear a good sock over them. I did this for many years in the military and it carried over to hunting. Don’t use gortex liners! That’s the equivalent of wearing filled water buckets on your feet and only make your feet colder.

3. Wear a good sock with a high wool content and a low poly/cotton content. I prefer Mukluk brand boot socks. These are the warmest I’ve found. You can pick up two pair for about $13 at Dunham’s Sporting Goods.

4. Wear a boot with less insulation, 400-800gram. A heavier pack boot doesn’t always keep you warmer. Stay away from rubber when it gets really cold. Swap out your insoles for bison wool from Buffalo Wool Co. you’ll thank me later. (This is my go to method once the temps drop)

5. If it’s really cold, bring an extra pair of boots/socks with boot blankets. In rifle season I carry my 1,000 gram boots, and extra pair of socks with boot blankets already on in my pack and swap boots as soon as I get in the blind. The other option if you don’t want to tote extra boots is Sorel pack boots with the removable liner that can be swapped for wool liners and toe warmers in the boots. Size up on the boots.

There’s always electric socks and Thermarest heated insoles which are ungodly uncomfortable but keep your feet toasty as long as you don’t have to walk or stand in them.

1. Spray your feet with unscented antiperspirant to help keep your feet from sweating on the walk in.

2. Try a silk sock liner. They help wick away sweat to keep your feet warmer. Wear a good sock over them. I did this for many years in the military and it carried over to hunting. Don’t use gortex liners! That’s the equivalent of wearing filled water buckets on your feet and only make your feet colder.

3. Wear a good sock with a high wool content and a low poly/cotton content. I prefer Mukluk brand boot socks. These are the warmest I’ve found. You can pick up two pair for about $13 at Dunham’s Sporting Goods.

4. Wear a boot with less insulation, 400-800gram. A heavier pack boot doesn’t always keep you warmer. Stay away from rubber when it gets really cold. Swap out your insoles for bison wool from Buffalo Wool Co. you’ll thank me later. (This is my go to method once the temps drop)

5. If it’s really cold, bring an extra pair of boots/socks with boot blankets. In rifle season I carry my 1,000 gram boots, and extra pair of socks with boot blankets already on in my pack and swap boots as soon as I get in the blind. The other option if you don’t want to tote extra boots is Sorel pack boots with the removable liner that can be swapped for wool liners and toe warmers in the boots. Size up on the boots.

There’s always electric socks and Thermarest heated insoles which are ungodly uncomfortable but keep your feet toasty as long as you don’t have to walk or stand in them.

Good tips One!

One addition to tip 1 = it takes antiperspirant several hours to soak in and get the full chemical benefits, so applying the antiperspirant at night before the next days hunting is more effective than doing so in the morning before you go. I do both as extra coverage.

For merino sock brands, I have intentionally tested various brands over the past several seasons and will only wear Darn Tough hunting socks now. All others could not compete for me. I have tried liner socks, but found no benefits for me.

I tried insulated vs. non-insulated, hiking style vs. rubber/neoprene. I now only wear uninsulated, leather Lowa Renegade GTX boots with Goretex for waterproofing and will throw on Artic Shield covers if it gets really cold.

Another caveat is I live in the upper south and rarely hunt in temps below 18 degrees, but have in the Midwest snow and my system worked fine for me there below zero for a while too.

arctic shield boot blankets (sizing is off, research it before buying, anyone size 11 or above should definitely get biggest size they make....unless they have fixed this in last 2 years)....sew mesh pouch inside boot blankets to hold hot hands super warmer over the toe (like a hot hands hand warmer but larger).....put these on once in your stand and before your feet start to feel cold

This could not be more spot on. I bolded the ones I do and my feet are never cold, even when my boots are iced over. Mind you, I hunt in steel toe Chippewas! I suffered with this for the better part of a decade before I finally asked an old timer the trick.

*****Silk sock liner, a mid-weight sock (not a heavy wool calf sock), and 400-800 gram boot is the secret recipe.*****

Most people don't realize the true issue, FEET SWEAT! People think they "run cold" when in reality they run hot. The sweat from the walk in is making your feet freeze similar to how using Hot Hands in your coat pockets makes your hands sweat and the minute you expose them to air they freeze. Try it with hand warmers. Go hunting without gloves in tolerable weather (don't freeze your hands solid) and just use your pockets for warmth. Then go out using hand warmers and you will see a drastic difference in heat retention when pulling your hands out of your pockets to grab your weapon or phone.

Hope this helps!

Rubber boots are like little refrigerators for your feet.

Only tip I can give you… buy some heated socks. It’s life changing…lol
Which ones are you using? I’ve heard mixed reviews.

Also, anyone use a cut wool sock with a hand warmer in it and just throw it over the toe of your boot? I saw this on a YouTube video and was going to give it a try.

Which ones are you using? I’ve heard mixed reviews.

Also, anyone use a cut wool sock with a hand warmer in it and just throw it over the toe of your boot? I saw this on a YouTube video and was going to give it a try.

I use these. I felt it was important to find ones you could turn on remotely and didn’t wan to carry anything extra. These turn on and are operated via an app on my phone….Bluetooth

Battery Heated Socks for Men/Women-Rechargeable Electric Heating Socks with APP Remote Control,Foot Warmer for Raynaud's and Winter Outdoor Sports Skiing/Hunting https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LH368KQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_C4YXDARWTY27SNA8KKPR

Many factors go into cold feet IMO. My dad and one of my buddies struggle with it. For me I wear 400 gram boots below 45 with good socks and below 35 I add the Artic Shield boot covers. I don’t get cold feet with that setup. Boot covers go on as soon as I’m up in the tree to keep the warmth I’ve created in
^^this^^
These are all good tips but the boot covers made the biggest difference for me for the late season. Don't wait until your feet are already cold to put them on though

I use these. I felt it was important to find ones you could turn on remotely and didn’t wan to carry anything extra. These turn on and are operated via an app on my phone….Bluetooth

Battery Heated Socks for Men/Women-Rechargeable Electric Heating Socks with APP Remote Control,Foot Warmer for Raynaud's and Winter Outdoor Sports Skiing/Hunting https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LH368KQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_C4YXDARWTY27SNA8KKPR
Thanks. I’ll check these out.

Back