• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I get a lot of questions

JCLINE84

Vendor Rep
Like many of you here I get quite a few questions. I'm happy to help anyone I can. We have so many new people here and I'm glad to see it. I got bored in the middle of the night so I thought I would post the answers to some of the questions I get a lot. This is all personal preference but for some reason other folks opinions matter so here we go.

Best saddle? I like the kestrel and evo a lot. Great saddles for sitters, work well for leaners too. Haven't tried some of the newer saddles but the ones with cupped butts tend to work well for me. The tethrd saddles are fine saddles and I recommend them to leaners and the weight saving crowd all the time. Their menace looks interesting for sitters, especially since the kestrel is DC. Im trying to perfect a pleat in a saddle that makes more of a cupping action and stays shut when you want it to. Most of my opinions on saddles come from building my own and trying different designs. If you have one you love then why do you care what anyone else thinks, never sell it lol.

Best climbing method? I like preset SRT a lot on my private land spots because its so quiet and safe. If I hunt a new area I love spurs. Public land run and gun its hard to beat WE stepps with knaider and swaider or one sticking. I see no benefit in carrying multiple sticks. I always rappel down no matter what.

Best backpack? If you can swing it Kifaru frame with 22 mag bag. Eberlestock mainframe with bag is a good budget option. Basically anything with a frame that fits you well. The weight penalty is worth it because the weight you carry in your pack will ride so much better. You will also have options for attaching things like sticks or platforms. I carry everything I need for a hunt inside my pack or strapped to it including my saddle. Your backpack gets so much more use than your bow but people will pay over $1000 for a bow and not pay over $200 for a good pack.

Best platform? I go back and forth on squirrel steps and a predator. The new stuff from lone wolf and trophyline look good too. For all day sits the platform wins. for short stuff I almost always use the squirrel steps. I hate having to carry the predator. For one sticking I would use a scout instead of a platform.

Best rope? Sterling htp is hard to beat. I use 9mm. Im sure oplux is nice but I dont see enough of a benefit to throw out my perfectly good htp and pay a premium to go down 1mm in rope size. If I was buying for the first time I would give oplux a shot though.

Best srt setup? Any hand ascender and a safeguard with a diy footloop or a swaider for the foot loop. I do not hang from the safeguard. I switch over to a tether.

Clothing? I have almost stopped wearing camo. I buy most of my hunting clothing from steepandcheap.com now in solid earth tones. Top tier mountaineering stuff that works. Read the descriptions and reviews to find what works for you. Camo companies are making too much money by charging ridiculous prices. It honestly makes me upset that they charge so much when you can buy better gear in solid colors that work just as well or better for fractions of the cost of sitka and other brands. High quality base layers are a must.

High quality hiking boots beat any rubber boot. buy high end merino socks.

Prusik tenders killed the ropeman 1.

I always carry an atc and prusik with me with an extra carabiner. Its saved me a few times.

I hunt the wind and dont have a scent regimen. I dont even use scent free soap. And I consistently see deer. Hunt the wind and dont walk on or across trails.

Make yourself be still in the saddle. Its so easy to swing around or move in the saddle that most people do it too much. Myself included.

Whatever system you use, practice with it at home until its second nature. Trying to figure something out after hiking miles in the heat just makes you frustrated. I have hated many things I tried for saddlehunting until I finally practiced enough to be proficient with it. One or two tries isnt enough time to determine if something works well or not.

Last edited:
Thanks, Jamie. Good stuff for sure.
I have a follow-up question for you. You state that an ATC, prussic and extra biner has saved you a few times. Can you elaborate? Did your autoblock get caught in your Safeguard?
I used to carry an extra figure 8 and biner. I have switched to just carrying two extra 48” climbing slings and biner because I have never had an issue with the Safeguard/Autoblock combo and didn’t want the noise/weight/bulk of the 8.

Thanks for posting. Let's say you use the WE and knaider/swaider to climb on public land. You mentioned you rappel down. How do you do that? I guess you have another rope, and a figure 8, but, how do you lock it off as you go down to take off steps, etc. Also, where do you hook the rope into, the bridge?

Thanks, Jamie. Good stuff for sure.
I have a follow-up question for you. You state that an ATC, prussic and extra biner has saved you a few times. Can you elaborate? Did your autoblock get caught in your Safeguard?
I used to carry an extra figure 8 and biner. I have switched to just carrying two extra 48” climbing slings and biner because I have never had an issue with the Safeguard/Autoblock combo and didn’t want the noise/weight/bulk of the 8.
Mainly in the beginning when I was attempting to learn new things while hunting instead of practicing at home. It’s so easy to find yourself in a weird spot above or below your platform or climbing method when your trying new things. I’ve also forgotten things and have been able to use my atc and prusik on the hunt.

Thanks for posting. Let's say you use the WE and knaider/swaider to climb on public land. You mentioned you rappel down. How do you do that? I guess you have another rope, and a figure 8, but, how do you lock it off as you go down to take off steps, etc. Also, where do you hook the rope into, the bridge?
You either use an atc with prusik or you use a belay device to rappel and tie it off when you want to stop. Lots of info out there about that.

I forgot one. Buying a sewing machine and making your own gear will not save you money. But it is rewarding and gives you the option to customize things to fit you.

Do you have any recommendations on these? I have a bad right ankle/foot issues. I found when wearing my rubber boots when done my foot is killing me......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like many of you here I get quite a few questions. I'm happy to help anyone I can. We have so many new people here and I'm glad to see it. I got bored in the middle of the night so I thought I would post the answers to some of the questions I get a lot. This is all personal preference but for some reason other folks opinions matter so here we go.

Best saddle? I like the kestrel and evo a lot. Great saddles for sitters, work well for leaners too. Haven't tried some of the newer saddles but the ones with cupped butts tend to work well for me. The tethrd saddles are fine saddles and I recommend them to leaners and the weight saving crowd all the time. Their menace looks interesting for sitters, especially since the kestrel is DC. I see absolutely no need for a pleat in a saddle. If it isnt big enough then go up a size because that pleat just makes the seat bigger. Most of my opinions on saddles come from building my own and trying different designs. If you have one you love then why do you care what anyone else thinks, never sell it lol.

Best climbing method? I like preset SRT a lot on my private land spots because its so quiet and safe. If I hunt a new area I love spurs. Public land run and gun its hard to beat WE stepps with knaider and swaider or one sticking. I see no benefit in carrying multiple sticks. I always rappel down no matter what.

Best backpack? If you can swing it Kifaru frame with 22 mag bag. Eberlestock mainframe with bag is a good budget option. Basically anything with a frame that fits you well. The weight penalty is worth it because the weight you carry in your pack will ride so much better. You will also have options for attaching things like sticks or platforms. I carry everything I need for a hunt inside my pack or strapped to it including my saddle. Your backpack gets so much more use than your bow but people will pay over $1000 for a bow and not pay over $200 for a good pack.

Best platform? I go back and forth on squirrel steps and a predator. The new stuff from lone wolf and trophyline look good too. For all day sits the platform wins. for short stuff I almost always use the squirrel steps. I hate having to carry the predator. For one sticking I would use a scout instead of a platform.

Best rope? Sterling htp is hard to beat. I use 9mm. Im sure oplux is nice but I dont see enough of a benefit to throw out my perfectly good htp and pay a premium to go down 1mm in rope size. If I was buying for the first time I would give oplux a shot though.

Best srt setup? Any hand ascender and a safeguard with a diy footloop. I do not hang from the safeguard. I switch over to a tether.

Clothing? I have almost stopped wearing camo. I buy most of my hunting clothing from steepandcheap.com now in solid earth tones. Top tier mountaineering stuff that works. Read the descriptions and reviews to find what works for you. Camo companies are making too much money by charging ridiculous prices. It honestly makes me upset that they charge so much when you can buy better gear in solid colors that work just as well or better for fractions of the cost of sitka and other brands. High quality base layers are a must.

Prusik tenders killed the ropeman 1.

I always carry an atc and prusik with me with an extra carabiner. Its saved me a few times.

I hunt the wind and dont have a scent regimen. I dont even use scent free soap. And I consistently see deer. Hunt the wind and dont walk on or across trails.

Make yourself be still in the saddle. Its so easy to swing around or move in the saddle that most people do it too much. Myself included.

Whatever system you use, practice with it at home until its second nature. Trying to figure something out after hiking miles in the heat just makes you frustrated. I have hated many things I tried for saddlehunting until I finally practiced enough to be proficient with it. One or two tries isnt enough time to determine if something works well or not.
Thanks, great post. I usually skip long post because my attention span is so small. Thanks for keeping it simple!

If you’re looking for a good cheaper option get on eBay and find a pair of danner combat hikers. Seriously good boot that you can find cheap on eBay. They’re military issue

New to saddle hunting but been hunting and setting stands for a long time. I see a lot of rope/ climbing techniques talk all over. What’s the real deal? Can’t I just use my hawk helium sticks and rope man lineman’s belt to climb the tree then loop an amsteel tether prune the tree and hook it to my bridge? Again, I’m so new, I haven’t bought a saddle yet but all the technical jargon, abbreviations, etc is a bit confusing.

New to saddle hunting but been hunting and setting stands for a long time. I see a lot of rope/ climbing techniques talk all over. What’s the real deal? Can’t I just use my hawk helium sticks and rope man lineman’s belt to climb the tree then loop an amsteel tether prune the tree and hook it to my bridge? Again, I’m so new, I haven’t bought a saddle yet but all the technical jargon, abbreviations, etc is a bit confusing.
Yes you can definitely do that. Lots of people pack their sticks to the woods, climb up, and hunt. But once people see how much weight they save with a saddle vs a tree stand the next progression is usually to cut the weight of their climbing method in half or thirds. Because let’s face it, packing multiple sticks sucks no matter how you carry them.

Ahh progression i.e. modification. I’m sure I’ll end up there but I’m just getting started at the scout hunt tactic (you know, beast mode as they say in other realms) so figure learning one new thing at a time is best.

Progression is terrible... lol
First season saddle Hunter using 4 lone wolf sticks, already planning on SRT, forcing myself to wait until next year. Should’ve stayed with my climber... was a lot cheaper

Bring one stick and sell the other 3. Use that money to buy a simple rappel setup. Give it plenty of practice like jamie said. Its worth it to practice and the money spent. Lugging all those sticks around isnt any better than bringing a climber. Once you dial in everything the comfort and versatility is worth it. It takes a lot more tweaking than climbers but it opens up so many more choices in hunting spots where a climber just wont work

Don’t get me wrong I absolutely love using my saddle, nothing beats using ALMOST any tree, I’ve climbed trees around 6” diameter so it opens a lot more possibilities than trying to find a straight limbless tree. I didn’t realize how addictive getting less weight was... lol
I planned on trying SRT so I could climb trees for fun with my boys and maybe my youngest daughter.

I haven’t tried one sticking, seems to be more work that just using sticks? I’ve watched a few YouTube videos of people on here doing it. Being it’s only in the 20-30’s up here, haven’t been real eager to give it a whirl just yet

I just got my saddle and am going to plan to get into SRT and have nothing. I bought sticks but it isn’t my style. I have searched around for kits but they all seem to be sold out. If you were to start from scratch now knowing what you do what would be your list of items and brands to put your kit together? I got the latitude method starter kit. I see your recommendations above with a few options and did some research on each. Can’t decide and want to make sure I am matching up the right rope and hand ascender.

I just got my saddle and am going to plan to get into SRT and have nothing. I bought sticks but it isn’t my style. I have searched around for kits but they all seem to be sold out. If you were to start from scratch now knowing what you do what would be your list of items and brands to put your kit together? I got the latitude method starter kit. I see your recommendations above with a few options and did some research on each. Can’t decide and want to make sure I am matching up the right rope and hand ascender.
If I was a guy on a budget wanting to start saddle hunting today I would buy a used Aerohunter saddle, a muddy pro stick with a one step aider or knaider, 40 feet of sterling 9mm rope, an ATC and auto block, and I’d go hunting. It’s hard to beat that combo

Back