• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I know there is an anti-camo movement, is there an anti-black(clothing color) movement?

HuumanCreed

SH Member
So I like camo just because it put me in a mindset. I personally think it does help hide some movements, but it's not the decision factor.

I do think that if you are in a camo set that is very different from the environment, you basically outline the human shape either way. Some of the old timers even said they mix match their camo clothes so they are not forming the human silhouette, because deer has learn to recognized it.

But I see a few interviews with John Eberhart that he make sure he does not have any solid black in his gear. That's no matter what time of year you hunt, solid black stand out against any background. Especially against trees, which kind of make sense to me.

Should I leave the solid backpack at home? Should the guys running black Muddy sticks or stands consider spray painting them? I mean the Beast Stand and a few platforms are solid black.

I don’t wear dark grey or black or brown solids in the woods because of people. Not animals.

People every year seem to think they saw a bear, or deer, or elk, and shoot the thing they thought it was. Then they find out they shot a people.

Black is the worst one to me. Hogs and bears both are black. My torso is about hog sized…

So I like camo just because it put me in a mindset. I personally think it does help hide some movements, but it's not the decision factor.

I do think that if you are in a camo set that is very different from the environment, you basically outline the human shape either way. Some of the old timers even said they mix match their camo clothes so they are not forming the human silhouette, because deer has learn to recognized it.

But I see a few interviews with John Eberhart that he make sure he does not have any solid black in his gear. That's no matter what time of year you hunt, solid black stand out against any background. Especially against trees, which kind of make sense to me.

Should I leave the solid backpack at home? Should the guys running black Muddy sticks or stands consider spray painting them? I mean the Beast Stand and a few platforms are solid black.

The Beast stand is a neutral brown. OOAL products are black.

I'm in the anti-anti-camo movement (previously just the camo movement, lol).

I did get busted standing still with good wind by a really nice buck while wearing black base layers. That buck was on a doe, but clearly saw me and ditched her with rocket speed.

Last edited:

It doesn't matter (outside of safety concerns @kyler1945 mentioned) just wear what you want, be still, and kill deer. Coming from a guy who loves his Sitka but the pattern/color is the last thing I'm concerned about.

I 'stand' corrected, you are right! Wow, now that I look at some of the pictures clearly, it blend in really well with most trees. It just look black in a lot of videos for some reason.

@kyler1945 You're right, I forgot the human factor.

I tend to agree with Kyler1945 on the solid black standing out to people more. Crows are solid black, but they absolutely vanish in trees unless they move. To me camo is more about hiding myself from people. Also, the changing up camo patterns is a good idea, breaks up your silhouette.

I don't beleive a solid color back pack handing on the side of the tree is going to spook deer. Its going to resemble a porky, coon or knot based off size. The deer are going to be more concerned with the huge blob ( you) hanging on the side of the tree that they spotted moving. I wear Camo and try to get cover in the tree to prevent that from happening but wear black when I'm sitting in a blind.

I don't beleive a solid color back pack handing on the side of the tree is going to spook deer. Its going to resemble a porky, coon or knot based off size. The deer are going to be more concerned with the huge blob ( you) hanging on the side of the tree that they spotted moving. I wear Camo and try to get cover in the tree to prevent that from happening but wear black when I'm sitting in a blind.
Wait..... dibs on my new business idea.... Racoonaflauge packs inc. may also do some R&D into a beaverflauge pack for the swamp guys

I did get busted standing still with good wind by a really nice buck while wearing black base layers. That buck was on a doe, but clearly saw me and ditched her with rocket speed.
I have some predator camo and some old plaid wool stuff I never wear anymore. May go back and try that instead of all the new camo overpriced stuff I have. Who knows anymore..

I have some predator camo and some old plaid wool stuff I never wear anymore. May go back and try that instead of all the new camo overpriced stuff I have. Who knows anymore..

I've never had much of a problem in plaid.

I'm not a camo snob per se, like the ASAT or bust or gotta be Predator crowds. Not to snub them either, just that's not where I'm coming from.

In fact, I actually have proprietary camo that I don't like at all, but the garments are fantastic.

Nonetheless, I only see disadvantages to all black.

I think you should wear all black to look like the natural predator of the black bear. But have you ever seen a bear or turkey in the woods? They stick out like a sore thumb. I don't want to be in a tree or on the ground looking like a bear and sticking out as a solid silhouette.

These guys are part of the anti solid black movement:
View attachment 71319
I've often wondered about a sky blue pattern for hunting in spots where I knew I would have no back cover and be on a telephone pole type tree. The older Sitka pattern is sort of like that in that it blends well with grey skies. I mix and match camo all the time and also hunt in plaid, especially when trad hunting. I've had deer within ten yards of me on the ground wearing a $12 hunter orange hoodie.

i think camo does help....it's just that most 2D camo isn't that great....try a leafy or ghillie suit and see (you're wearing camo that is also almost a ground blind)

Back