• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I need some advice from a bolt enthusiast or machinist!! All set, thanks!!

Topdog

SH Member
Here is my problem, I have a custom rifle with a removable muzzle brake and due to the noise this thing produces I’m not going to run it when I hunt so I need a thread protector, usually it’s no big deal, $20 or $30 item, well this has turned into a problem, I have no idea what the TPI is on this threaded barrel, I measure with my micrometer the threaded portion to be 1/2” diameter, simple, there is a 1/2” of threads exposed, simple, so I count the threads and come up with 13, problem is 1/2” 26 TPI does not exist according to my research, so thinking I made a mistake and it must be 1/2” 28 TPI which is common for muzzle thread protectors I ordered one, nope doesn’t fit, so I ordered 1/2” 24 TPI, doesn’t fit either, I took it to Fastenal thinking someone there would know and they had nothing even close, I figured if they had a nut that would fit at least I would know the size was and have somebody make one then. The rifle is a Jarret Rifle, there stupid expensive (I bought it second hand), so I gave them a call thinking they would have to know since they made it and obviously should know, and after 3 calls to somebody in the office I give up, there answer was to ship the whole gun back which is not going to happen a month before season for what should be a $20 or $30 part, at this point I don’t really care what it costs but I am out of options, I mite have to leave it on and run some ear plugs or something I guess. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I know this is a tuff one to help with, without being able to see it, I just thought there was a chance somebody mite know more about this sort of thing than me, thanks!

Fastanal was your first mistake. Some of them are great guys that really know their stuff but most are fresh off the street. I would look up small machine shops in your area and see if they have a thread pitch gauge,or call up someone other than
Jarret?

Could be metric or a different type of thread. Do you have a picture of the of the actual threads?

This may seem like a stupid question but are wanting to protect the external threads on the brake or the internal threads on the rifle?
If you're wanting to protect the threads on the brake, why not just wrap the threads in Suran wrap? A few wraps of that will throughly protect the threads.
Then the only other problem you'll have is any deposits building up on the internal threads in your barrel which you should be able to clean with a solvent.

I'm no gunsmith but from everything I've seen there are only a few common threadings for muzzle brake/barrels. Is your muzzle brake custom as well? If not what is the make/model? That should help point you in the right direction (assuming you haven't already tried this route)

I'm no gunsmith but from everything I've seen there are only a few common threadings for muzzle brake/barrels. Is your muzzle brake custom as well? If not what is the make/model? That should help point you in the right direction (assuming you haven't already tried this route)
Brake is from Jarrett as well

This may seem like a stupid question but are wanting to protect the external threads on the brake or the internal threads on the rifle?
If you're wanting to protect the threads on the brake, why not just wrap the threads in Suran wrap? A few wraps of that will throughly protect the threads.
Then the only other problem you'll have is any deposits building up on the internal threads in your barrel which you should be able to clean with a solvent.
The end of the barrel that is threaded for the brake

The diameter of the threaded portion is exactly 1/2”, the length of the threaded portion is 1/2” also, so I assumed count the threads and double it for TPI, if the thread protector is a little too long or fat makes no difference to me that would just be cosmetic, I can’t figure out the TPI, maybe it is metric, I can’t believe Jarrett doesn’t know.

Oh wow! Shocked he doesn’t know! My vote is a machine shop or gun smith

Oh wow! Shocked he doesn’t know! My vote is a machine shop or gun smith I would cry if I damaged a high end custom rifle lol

Back