• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I need some electrical help

kyler1945

SH Member
If I have a 12v power source, and I have two devices wired into the circuit in parallel. The manufacturer states that together the draw is 6 amps on their high setting, and 2 amps on their low setting.

The devices are identical. If I remove one of the devices, and recomplete the circuit, will that one device draw 3 amps on the high setting, and 1 amp on the low setting?

Or am I missing something here? Seems obvious, but I know it isn't always so with electrical current.

Unfortunately I have no way to gather this information easily from the manu.

I would say the answer is yes: the current draw would be half. But since you mention recompleting the circuit after removing one it makes me wonder if they’re actually in series? If they are in parallel you can disconnect one without affecting the other. So what did you mean by “recomplete” the circuit?

Yes. Sounds right to me. Voltage is the same in parallel. Certain loads may have an in rush of amps on a start up. Such as a motor on a refrigerator. So if it says it draws 3 amps, and you put in quick blow 3 amp fuse it may take it out. So you either need a time delay or slightly higher fuse.

I would say the answer is yes: the current draw would be half. But since you mention recompleting the circuit after removing one it makes me wonder if they’re actually in series? If they are in parallel you can disconnect one without affecting the other. So what did you mean by “recomplete” the circuit?

Sorry, in series, I'm dumb.

So if they are in series, the device may not work... if they are in series on a 12V source, that means that each one has about 6V. So putting 12V on just one may damage the component.

Kyler does the device have a data plate on it anywhere? If they are wired in series, then there will be voltage drop across the first device to the second. This means the first device receives 12V so either should work on 12V the first device would have a higher resistance since device 1 is receiving more voltage than device 2. Without knowing how much resistance (ohms) device 1 has, it would be hard to calculate the voltage drop going to device 2 without putting a meter to it. in a series circuit the amperage flowing should be the same at any point. So we cannot say for sure how amps it would draw individually without knowing the resistance but by using series theory it would still draw 6amps.

Last edited:
Kyler does the device have a data plate on it anywhere? If they are wired in series, then there will be voltage drop across the first device to the second. This means the first device receives 12V so either should work on 12V the first device would draw less amps since device 1 is receiving more voltage than device 2. Without knowing how much resistance (ohms) device 1 has, it would be hard to calculate the voltage drop going to device 2 without putting a meter to it. in a series circuit if the 2 devices have the same resistance then device 1 draws less amperage than the second device because if voltage decreases, amperage increases. So we cannot say for sure how amps it would draw without knowing the resistance
What he said. It’s hard to know the exact amount. Also it sounds like you don’t know if it’s in series to begin with or in parallel which would also change the answer.

Kyler does the device have a data plate on it anywhere? If they are wired in series, then there will be voltage drop across the first device to the second. This means the first device receives 12V so either should work on 12V the first device would draw less amps since device 1 is receiving more voltage than device 2. Without knowing how much resistance (ohms) device 1 has, it would be hard to calculate the voltage drop going to device 2 without putting a meter to it. in a series circuit if the 2 devices have the same resistance then device 1 draws less amperage than the second device because if voltage decreases, amperage increases. So we cannot say for sure how amps it would draw without knowing the resistance
If the assumption is that the devices are identical, and they are in series, then each one get's 6V and the current going through them is the same (6A according to manufacturer).

What is this thing? Show us the data plate! :D

If the assumption is that the devices are identical, and they are in series, then each one get's 6V and the current going through them is the same (6A according to manufacturer).

What is this thing? Show us the data plate! :D
If we know for fact they are absolutely identical then yes, otherwise That would be incorrect. In series there is a single path through each resistor (device, light, ect.) so the first device receives 12 V then the voltage is the sum of the individual voltage drops across the resistors. He knows his input source voltage. There is no guarantee that 6 V are dropped across the first resistor, it could only be 3 volts that drop. Without knowing the ohms you can’t be sure. Would I assume it is 6V… well if the devices are identical then yes I would assume that but when lights are made to go through a series circuit usually the resistance between the devices are not the same. However either way if they are getting a full 12 a) they would work, b) they would theoretically draw the same amperage since they are made to operate on 12v in series. Hence I asked him to look for the small data sticker usually on the back of the light base. In a parallel circuit, I would say that if the total is 12 v with 6 amp draw then each individual one if isolated would have a different resistance, but you cannot be positive that is the case in series without knowing for sure the lights have identical resistors.

Last edited:
If we know for fact they are absolutely identical then yes, otherwise That would be incorrect. In series there is a single path through each resistor (device, light, ect.) so the first device receives 12 V then the voltage is the sum of the individual voltage drops across the resistors. He knows his input source voltage. There is no guarantee that 6 V are dropped across the first resistor, it could only be 3 volts that drop. Without knowing the ohms you can’t be sure. Would I assume it is 6V… well if the devices are identical then yes I would assume that but when lights are made to go through a series circuit usually the resistance between the devices are not the same. However either way if they are getting a full 12 a) they would work, b) they would theoretically draw less than half the amperage since they are made to operate on 6V in series. Hence I asked him to look for the small data sticker usually on the back of the light base. In a parallel circuit, I would say that if the total is 12 v with 6 amp draw then each individual one if isolated would draw half the amperage, but you cannot be positive that is the case in series without knowing for sure the lights have identical resistors.
Agreed.

Ok if all things are the same, then you have 12 v total running through the circuit. Per the manufacturer, when in series you would use 6 amps. The amperage is the same through a series circuit at any point. The difference is the resistance provided. So the light hooked up alone would still draw 6 amps it would just be brighter than it would be in series.

All I can tell you is it's ok to pee on an electric fence until it isn't. Those things don't run continuously, but cycle off and on to save juice. Don't yell when the bark collar goes off, it just makes it worse. And finally, if the dare is to get maced or tazed, get tazed. Mace reactivated the next morning in a hot shower

All I can tell you is it's ok to pee on an electric fence until it isn't. Those things don't run continuously, but cycle off and on to save juice. Don't yell when the bark collar goes off, it just makes it worse. And finally, if the dare is to get maced or tazed, get tazed. Mace reactivated the next morning in a hot shower
Yes it does reactivate. Wear a swimsuit and tie the pants tight before your shower.

Ok if all things are the same, then you have 12 v total running through the circuit. Per the manufacturer, when in series you would use 6 amps. The amperage is the same through a series circuit at any point. The difference is the resistance provided. So the light hooked up alone would still draw 6 amps it would just be brighter than it would be in series.

This is the answer I’m looking for!

Back