• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

icey trees

kidneystones_3000

ice tree bark.jpg
I will give you a brief background of my situation I am new to saddle hunting and I have not bought a tree saddle yet. I do plan on buying a tree saddle within the next 2 weeks I haven’t made up my mind between Kestrel or Mantis. I have watched 30 videos on YouTube on a variety of topics about tree saddles hunting. I do plan on spending between 6 to 8 hours in by tree saddle this spring. It is important to note I live in Wisconsin and hunt 100% public land.

This is my question what do you do when the trees have ice on them. This does not happen that often but I would like to get some opinions on what would you do. I currently use a Quick and Quiet Tree stand (in my opinion best climbing tree stand on the market) which is climbing tree stand I never used climbing sticks. In the past when I hunted in those types of situations, if felt kind of dangerous and I slid down the tree a little bit when climbing down. To me it would appear to be more dangerous using a tree saddle because you using ropes.

P.S Please give any of your thoughts on the Kestrel or Mantis if you have friends or no somebody who has experience lt me know please try to collect the most information as possible thanks. I am looking for unbiased opinions so if sponsor one of those companies save your advice

I can't say as I've hunted heavily iced trees but I have hunted a bunch of really snow covered trees. Most of the time they are snow covered primarily on one side due to the prevailing wind. They are a little more difficult to climb and you have to take extra care and time to be sure of your climbing attachment. I generally climb with the one stick method and I try to climb on the "dry" side of the tree. That still means my stick attachment rope is passing through the wet side. I really haven't had any issues with slipping. I've had more issues with my ropes getting wet and icing up. When I climb in wet conditions I use a secondary short tether to climb on and leave my rappel rope in my pack until its time to get down. I then attach it and transfer my bridge over to it. I learned to this the hard way hunting in a sleet storm this year. Rappeling on the frozen rope for the first time was a little unnerving. I didn't have any trouble but never having done it before I wasn't sure what to expect. Wet ropes and freezing temperatures are just not a fun combination.

For what it's worth, this year I hunted with the Tethrd Mants and Predator platform and have had no issues with either hunting in any weather conditions. I have also hunted pretty extensively from the Kestrel last year and had no issues with that either. Both are solid setups. Also for the record I am not associated with either company short of being a customer that's very satisfied with their products.

View attachment 9968
I will give you a brief background of my situation I am new to saddle hunting and I have not bought a tree saddle yet. I do plan on buying a tree saddle within the next 2 weeks I haven’t made up my mind between Kestrel or Mantis. I have watched 30 videos on YouTube on a variety of topics about tree saddles hunting. I do plan on spending between 6 to 8 hours in by tree saddle this spring. It is important to note I live in Wisconsin and hunt 100% public land.

This is my question what do you do when the trees have ice on them. This does not happen that often but I would like to get some opinions on what would you do. I currently use a Quick and Quiet Tree stand (in my opinion best climbing tree stand on the market) which is climbing tree stand I never used climbing sticks. In the past when I hunted in those types of situations, if felt kind of dangerous and I slid down the tree a little bit when climbing down. To me it would appear to be more dangerous using a tree saddle because you using ropes.

P.S Please give any of your thoughts on the Kestrel or Mantis if you have friends or no somebody who has experience lt me know please try to collect the most information as possible thanks. I am looking for unbiased opinions so if sponsor one of those companies save your advice
I would hang on before I buy a Mantis or Kestrel don't get me wrong they are both great saddles. I would just wait and see what comes out new this year. Just my thoughts. As far as ice on trees I would avoid them. They are dangerous.

View attachment 9968

where are you located ... i am in west bend wi if you would like we could meet up and you could try my mantis

I've never seen a tree covered in ice and if I did I would avoid it, there are plenty of trees in the forest.

I just started saddle hunting last year and own a Kestrel, I wanted a tank and I got it. I've had no issues with it, I am very comfortable in it and I will have and use it for ever. That being said from what I understand you can't go wrong with any of the saddles on the market today.

I would never climb a tree already covered by ice or snow but unfortunately had a hair raising experience once when freezing rain started after I was already in the tree. I was using a climber with a safety harness and tether attached to the tree. As I started going down the tree I suddenly dropped about 8 feet. My stand and tether slid right down the ice covered tree like I wasn't even attached. Luckily for me my stand hung up on a knob sticking up on the tree trunk otherwise I no doubt would have hit the ground at full speed. Same exact thing could happen with your tether or lineman belt while hunting in a saddle. Do whatever you can to avoid this situation. I knew the tree was icing up yet I finished my hunt. Big mistake. Get down immediately.

I would hang on before I buy a Mantis or Kestrel don't get me wrong they are both great saddles. I would just wait and see what comes out new this year. Just my thoughts. As far as ice on trees I would avoid them. They are dangerous.

I disagree. If you are wanting to hunt this Fall I would order NOW. Lots of folks were unhappy last year ordering gear right before hunting season and then there were supply chain issues.

I would trust my sticks and tether on an icy tree 1000X more than i would a climber.

Back