• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I'm a Moron

Dang, you could have bought about 12 gallons of gas for that, lol. Seriously, if you need brass and it's available, buy it. That brass should last you a lifetime if you take care of it. How many per box...50?

How many per box...50?

I wish. 20

That means having a very intentional, pragmatic 30 round range session followed by saving 10 rounds for any hunting.

I'm sure it's been discussed ad nauseam, but I'm still frustrated and confused how x-number million new gun owners in recent years is putting so much stress on rifle cartridges. It would make perfect sense if the only shortages were 9mm or .38 Special, but sporting rounds? Ugh!

Above my pay grade, I guess ... as proven by my D+ (for diploma) in college economics. :)

Production, raw materials, and manpower are going into making the 9mm etc. and much less is going into making sporting rounds. The good thing about the 243 is that it can be easily formed from its parent case, the .308 Winchester. I was in the same boat about 6 or 7 years ago trying to get 257 Roberts brass. I found 2 bags of 50 and snapped them up. If I have too, I can form 257 Roberts out of its parent case the 7mm Mauser (7X57) and in more dire need, cut down 30-06 or 270 and form it from that and trim the necks.

Making a man wish he got into reloading about 20 years ago!
I tried it once a long time ago when I was a kid and I never felt like I knew what I was doing. There's a lot more to it than I realized.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I too am a Moron.

I got into a bidding war over some Berger EOL .270 170gr bullets for a 6.8 western I've built. I don't even have all the equipment to reload yet but I know those bullets won't be around for a long time. I won't disclose the final amount but I am definitely a moron :tearsofjoy:

This is better than the saddle hunter support thread, lol. I haven't got bit by reloading yet but I sure dumped some money on a scope yesterday.

I too am a moron. I also have ammo for guns I don't yet own.

Wait a minute….you bought brass for a gun you don’t yet own?
Heck yea! Preparing for the future. Haha

I just started reloading and all my friends will be savings their brass for me that don’t reload. As much as they can that is. I’ll take any brass they can give me. Even if it’s a caliber Idk if I will ever reload. Trade material or I’ll just buy a gun for it anyways haha

You are not a moron as long as your spending money on Guns and Ammo. Some other things, maybe so.

So true. 20 years ago I would have spent $100+ on a single bar tab and thought nothing of it. Ahhh, maturity ... growing old is great, in some ways. :confused2:

It's a tough time to be a gun guy.

For common calibers like .243 don't forget about Lee Loaders. I bought one when I bought my wife her .243, and I've picked up a few more over the years on the auction sites, and dusty shelves at the back of gun shops. Not quite as much control as a proper press and dies, but you can still turn out quality hunting ammo on a picnic table with a mallet and a dipper.

Back