• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I'm so ticked off!!

stevethebreeze

Took my bow to the shop last week. Told them to go over it, tune it, check it out real good and let me know if there is anything they would suggest to improve or upgrade. Mind you its an older bow, Matthews Q2 and never had an issue with it and killed my share of deer with it. I went today to get it and pickup a new target since mine bit the dust.
Get home today, shoot 9 arrows and my string breaks!!!!!!! I am so mad about this. Did they not put it on a press and check the string first thing????

Sorry had to vent.....

I'm sorry that happened to you, I can relate to a poor bow shop I've had experience with them in the past. Really makes me want to learn how to do it all myself

I can understand that you don't want to be the one who just goes in there and complains, but on the other hand if you're paying for a service they should know that they're doing low quality work

How old was the string? How many shots through it? D loop or fingers or clip a release straight on string?

not to take sides, but what did you expect needed to be done prior to going to the shop? What did you ask them specifically to do? What did they tell you they would do? What did they tell you they did? What did you pay for? Did you inspect the rig before shooting to ensure the string was in good shape?

How old was the string? How many shots through it? D loop or fingers or clip a release straight on string?

not to take sides, but what did you expect needed to be done prior to going to the shop? What did you ask them specifically to do? What did they tell you they would do? What did they tell you they did? What did you pay for? Did you inspect the rig before shooting to ensure the string was in good shape?
String is about 5 years old, bow is kept in climate controlled house, not in a shed, D loop with a release, The rest of your questions are answered in my original post as that is exactly what I told them to do to it. They called and said it was ready, I got home, pulled on it a couple times then started shooting. They did put wax on the string so it seems they would have noticed any issues. But the bill only said tuned bow. But I was explicit when I told them to go over it with a fine tooth comb.

5 years is a long time to keep the same string. I don't know how often you shoot but you usually want to replace the string about every 3 years max. A lot of things can cause a string to break. Something sharp in the string grooves, bad shooting form, torqueing the bow, and poor maintenance to name a few. It could've been something you did or they very well could've just looked at it and used bad judgement. Who knows. Now that your string is off I would go over the string path and check for sharp edges and grooves just to rule that out.

Kind of like when you get new tires on a car. Do you inspect each nut to make sure it is torqued to the factory specific or do you pay the bill, get in your car and leave??

more like going to the mechanic and telling them “check out my car” , getting a bill and not asking them what they actually looked at, and replaced/repaired, then yelling at them when something unpredictable happens to an old component of the car.

String is about 5 years old, bow is kept in climate controlled house, not in a shed, D loop with a release, The rest of your questions are answered in my original post as that is exactly what I told them to do to it. They called and said it was ready, I got home, pulled on it a couple times then started shooting. They did put wax on the string so it seems they would have noticed any issues. But the bill only said tuned bow. But I was explicit when I told them to go over it with a fine tooth comb.

I get the point of wanting someone to keep the bow in good shape For you and you not mess with anything. That also comes with extra costs - one cost is paying more, more often, to replace wear items at regular intervals so a surprise premature failure doesn’t have you posting here about it. The other option is just letting it ride. Sounds like you have a shop that feels like you want to let it ride.

Ive shot three bows in 25 years of shooting, probably 50,000 shots, and ive gone through 5 total strings. None have ever broken.

I just started tuning bows for my buddies over the last year and one of the first ones I worked on was a Mathews Outback...he had the same string on it since 2005...it actually appeared to be in decent shape because he waxed it often and took care of it...I told him he needed a new string, he said naw, it’ll be fine...the issue was that the string had stretched so much over the last 15 years that the bow was out of spec significantly...I twisted cables and string to put it back in spec and just gave him a rough paper tune (because that’s what he wanted...his cable snapped the 3rd day he had it...because (In my opinion) the pressure on the 15 year old strings when put in spec, was too much...I tried telling him....

anyway...my guess was that in your situation, you either have a chip in the cam groove that caused the string to tear, or the strings were just old and then twisted some cables to put the bow in spec, and that’s why it snapped...I agree with @Murph4028Change your string out every year or two...$100 but worth every penny to keep your bow in spec with high quality, new strings

Also, I’m sure you wax your strings and take care of them, but make sure that you remove old wax prior to putting new wax on...globbed up old wax can make a string appear in decent shape, when in reality, it’s time has passed.

5 strings in 25 years? I thought you said they should be replaced every 3 years max?
@Murph4028 said that...I agree with him as well...this is assuming you do a decent amount of shooting in the offseason...if you grip it and rip it a week before the season each year, you can probably get more life out of the string...although, even if I did that, I would still replace every 3-5 years for peace of mind

I just started tuning bows for my buddies over the last year and one of the first ones I worked on was a Mathews Outback...he had the same string on it since 2005...it actually appeared to be in decent shape because he waxed it often and took care of it...I told him he needed a new string, he said naw, it’ll be fine...the issue was that the string had stretched so much over the last 15 years that the bow was out of spec significantly...I twisted cables and string to put it back in spec and just gave him a rough paper tune (because that’s what he wanted...his cable snapped the 3rd day he had it...because (In my opinion) the pressure on the 15 year old strings when put in spec, was too much...I tried telling him....

anyway...my guess was that in your situation, you either have a chip in the cam groove that caused the string to tear, or the strings were just old and then twisted some cables to put the bow in spec, and that’s why it snapped...I agree with @Murph4028Change your string out every year or two...$100 but worth every penny to keep your bow in spec with high quality, new strings
I agree. If they would have told me I needed to replace the string I would have gladly done that. And thats exactly what you told your friend. His fault all the way. When I told them to tell me if I need any thing upgrades or anything changed I just figured that meant exactly what I said. I dont suppose you live near Alabama do you? I need a good Bowman I can trust.

I agree. If they would have told me I needed to replace the string I would have gladly done that. And thats exactly what you told your friend. His fault all the way. When I told them to tell me if I need any thing upgrades or anything changed I just figured that meant exactly what I said. I dont suppose you live near Alabama do you? I need a good Bowman I can trust.
Unfortunately I do not...RollTide though

Back