• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Insert Glue

Jhouse23

Been using hot melt for a couple years now but and works ok but always have those ones that pull out and get lost in my target. Which glue besides hot melt are ya guys using? Thinking of trying aae or 30.06 outdoors insert weld

I used to use Hot Melt but I switched to Cool Melt
Its the blue stick. I've not had any inserts pull out with it and what I like most about it is that inserts can be removed with hot water. I started using it during my heavy arrow build when I needed to adjust insert weight but then I realized how much I liked it.
No way would I use epoxy.

Find a load that works and then 2-part epoxy. I know Tom just said not to lol but I believe I can tune the bow efficiently enough to iron out kinks in arrow flight by manipulating the bow...this is, of course, after finding some point weight and arrow choices that the bow shoots pretty well first.

Find a load that works and then 2-part epoxy. I know Tom just said not to lol but I believe I can tune the bow efficiently enough to iron out kinks in arrow flight by manipulating the bow...this is, of course, after finding some point weight and arrow choices that the bow shoots pretty well first.
I guess I often neglect to put my resources in the context of a trad shooter. I don't have the option of changing my poundage or rest position.
That being said, carbon arrows and ethics inserts are not cheap.. I've not seen any reason to make my arrows so "permanent". I might want to completely rework them or even sell them someday.
I did do a few epoxy arrows a few years ago and I went on to regret it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

X2 I thought it was horrible for inserts BUT!!! Then I actually cleaned the inside of the shaft with alcohol and the insert as well. It does a great job and with a bit of effort you can take the insert out if you want to tinker with weights. I use the gel version.
Gorilla glue super glue

Gorilla glue super glue

Same, but the gel (supposedly impact resistant and easier to work with). I clean the inside of the shaft and insert with alcohol and let dry first.

I've never lost an insert. I also use this stuff for my fletchings (blazers on vinyl wraps) and have never lost a fletching.

I just hope it doesn't hurt the silverbacks when they milk them to make this stuff......

I use Locktite ultra control gel unless its like the hit inserts then I use a slow dry 2 part epoxy. With either adhesive I scuff the inside of the shaft and clean both parts with denatured alcohol.

Blue cool melt for me... Arrow OD, ID, and insert prep is key to good bond....

If I break an arrow I can be 100% confident I can salvage the insert...I never had any luck getting inserts out with other glues..

I use super glue on my carbon arrows and I used hot melt on the aluminum arrows I no longer shoot . You can remove the inserts out of the carbon arrows by putting a field point in the insert and carefully heat the field point with a propane torch. When you see a puff of smoke you can remove the inserts by grabbing the field point with a pair of pliers. I used super glue for years without one insert coming out.

Last edited:
I used to use Hot Melt but I switched to Cool Melt
Its the blue stick. I've not had any inserts pull out with it and what I like most about it is that inserts can be removed with hot water. I started using it during my heavy arrow build when I needed to adjust insert weight but then I realized how much I liked it.
No way would I use epoxy.

After years of super glue with varying degrees of success I switched to hot melt from bohning. The yellow stuff pulled out pretty quickly, but the blue is money. Have not had any pull outs with it.

Thanks guys! Think I’m going to try the blue stick hot melt a lot seem to have success with it and can still remove to fine tune the arrow.

Thanks guys! Think I’m going to try the blue stick hot melt a lot seem to have success with it and can still remove to fine tune the arrow.
Make sure you do adequate prep.
Put a brass bore brush on a drill and rough up the inside of the shaft and then thoroughly clean out the dust with a Q tip and alcohol. Keep cleaning it until the Q tip shows no residue. Won't hurt to slightly scuff and clean the insert too.
I do just a couple dabs of the blue glue and it still holds well. When 1st started using the blue, I was completely coating the entire insert but I found out that they were hard to remove.

Make sure you do adequate prep.
Put a brass bore brush on a drill and rough up the inside of the shaft and then thoroughly clean out the dust with a Q tip and alcohol. Keep cleaning it until the Q tip shows no residue. Won't hurt to slightly scuff and clean the insert too.
I do just a couple dabs of the blue glue and it still holds well. When 1st started using the blue, I was completely coating the entire insert but I found out that they were hard to remove.

I think I remember u using ethics inserts....so are u just applying to the recessed ring cuts on the insert. I coat the whole thing and when I install a bunch of the glue pushes out the end around the insert. On the couple I have taken out the only glue residue is in the glue rings and non on the actual body of the insert. I scratch up the insert to help with glue bond but I think the scratches are to superficial for the glue to get down into them...

I think I remember u using ethics inserts....so are u just applying to the recessed ring cuts on the insert. I coat the whole thing and when I install a bunch of the glue pushes out the end around the insert. On the couple I have taken out the only glue residue is in the glue rings and non on the actual body of the insert. I scratch up the insert to help with glue bond but I think the scratches are to superficial for the glue to get down into them...
Yeah, I'm using Ethics and I just dab the blue in the recessed area.

I use 2 part epoxy, jb weld. I don’t have any reason to remove them again once they are installed. I’ve lost inserts and field points on targets using blue melt.

Back