• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Insulated boot cover's?

jy198460

Has anybody used boot covers for saddle hunting? I had thought about getting covers instead of replacing my worn out cold weather boots. I will be using the ridge runner platform this year and my concern is how they will hold up to the aggressive tread.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Has anybody used boot covers for saddle hunting? I had thought about getting covers instead of replacing my worn out cold weather boots. I will be using the ridge runner platform this year and my concern is how they will hold up to the aggressive tread.

It depends are you a sitter or a leaner? If you sit alot it will not affect them at all but if you are a leaner it might wear on them over time! I use them on occasions but I don't really use a platform so I really can't say for sure but as cheap as some of them are just use them till they are done and get another pair unless you have the expensive ones!!

I bought a set but I have similar concerns. I’m interested to hear what guys have done about how noisy they are.

I got rid of mine. I found them to be a PITA to pack then have to deal with putting them on once in the stand. Idk was just way to much work for what little protection they offer (IMO). I eventually found out if one properly addresses their cold weather gear there is no use for these types of things. Personally, I finally broke down and bought me some cold weather Baffin rubber boots. Now my toes never get cold on the stand when doing all day sits in late freezing temps here in WI.

I got rid of mine. I found them to be a PITA to pack then have to deal with putting them on once in the stand. Idk was just way to much work for what little protection they offer (IMO). I eventually found out if one properly addresses their cold weather gear there is no use for these types of things. Personally, I finally broke down and bought me some cold weather Baffin rubber boots. Now my toes never get cold on the stand when doing all day sits in late freezing temps here in WI.
Yeah I feel like that’s my same path but thought I’d try them. Spent all last season addressing foot sweat with some success.

The ones I use are just the hot hands version and they pack small and work well!

I bought a pair of mukluks from Wiggy's. They have a vibram sole on the bottom. I tried them briefly (since it was 90 degF) on Ridge Runner and they seemed fine. Plan on using them with a light boot when it gets cold and I have a longer hike in. They roll up to a relatively small size.

Yeah, totally possible with a ridge runner, if you can handle the franken-feet... I have to use them on the all day sits in colder weather or my feet get cold. As other folks have indicated, definitely a chore to lug in, and definitely easier to put on in a saddle as opposed to the climber I had been using, but able to wear lighter boots for the walk in, throw a couple of chemical warmers in there and they are toasty all day long. I am more of a sitter too as well if that helps. I have the ice breaker ones on my sz 13 boots for comparison...

Attachments

• boot covers.jpg
    boot covers.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 94
I used the ice breakers about 6 times last season without a platform. I just use the tops of my api stick steps with a bullman step on both sides. My ice breakers still look new.

just have to really make sure I keep my feet away from the tree while moving around or it can be a little loud while rubbing the tree.

Also as others stated it is a lot to haul around but my backpack is pretty much only winter clothing layers. In warmer temps, I don’t use a backpack. Everything just goes in my saddle pouches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you describe what your process is? How far are you walking and what kind of temps are you generally dealing with? My worn out cold weather boots are muck arctic and it seems that no matter how I layer I still sweat and eventually get cold.

I bought a pair of mukluks from Wiggy's. They have a vibram sole on the bottom. I tried them briefly (since it was 90 degF) on Ridge Runner and they seemed fine. Plan on using them with a light boot when it gets cold and I have a longer hike in. They roll up to a relatively small size.
Thanks I will have to look into those. Do they seem thick enough to keep your feet warm in cold weather?

Can you describe what your process is? How far are you walking and what kind of temps are you generally dealing with? My worn out cold weather boots are muck arctic and it seems that no matter how I layer I still sweat and eventually get cold.

Not much of a process. Late season here in WI can have temps down in the negatives. I usually wear my base and mid layer to the tree then get dressed once I’m all set up. Far as feet go, guess I got lucky and don’t really have sweaty feet (least not in hunting boots). I just wear my thick wool socks paired with my Baffin Titan winter boots and my feet are fine. It’s really all about keeping ones head and body core heated. Soon as that starts to go the body’s gonna start pull heat from the digits.

Thanks I will have to look into those. Do they seem thick enough to keep your feet warm in cold weather?

Sure do. Compared to the Arctic Shield covers I have used the last couple of years, these seem like they will work MUCH better. The amount of insulation is no comparison. They are essentially a very warm, durable sleeping bag with Vibram boot soles. On his website (https://www.wiggys.com/footwear/wiggys-mukluks) they are advertised for -70 degF and mentions that dog sledders use them wearing tennis shoes. Unlike some of these other covers, the soles allow you to walk in them if you want (I won't because I'm sure my feet would sweat like crazy) or even climb tree with them on. You can use the cord to very easily cinch them tight for walking/climbing and then loosen them once stationary to get the extra warmth from the loft. They are $75 off now. Here are some pictures...

For reference, this is next to 8" Irish Setter Vaportrek and even though Jerry told me that my arctic muck boots wouldn't fit in them, they do as well.
2020-07-31_20-25-22.jpg2020-07-31_20-26-51.jpg2020-07-31_20-27-06.jpg

This is with them cinched down for walking/climbing...
2020-07-31_20-28-23.jpg

And the sole...
2020-07-31_20-29-55.jpg2020-07-31_20-30-09.jpg

Here is one rolled up for packing. (butcher's twine just to hold compressed for picture)
2020-07-31_20-34-32.jpg

Attachments

• 2020-07-31_20-27-22.jpg
    2020-07-31_20-27-22.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 23
Sure do. Compared to the Arctic Shield covers I have used the last couple of years, these seem like they will work MUCH better. The amount of insulation is no comparison. They are essentially a very warm, durable sleeping bag with Vibram boot soles. On his website (https://www.wiggys.com/footwear/wiggys-mukluks) they are advertised for -70 degF and mentions that dog sledders use them wearing tennis shoes. Unlike some of these other covers, the soles allow you to walk in them if you want (I won't because I'm sure my feet would sweat like crazy) or even climb tree with them on. You can use the cord to very easily cinch them tight for walking/climbing and then loosen them once stationary to get the extra warmth from the loft. They are $75 off now. Here are some pictures...

For reference, this is next to 8" Irish Setter Vaportrek and even though Jerry told me that my arctic muck boots wouldn't fit in them, they do as well.
View attachment 31343View attachment 31344View attachment 31345

View attachment 31346

And the sole...
View attachment 31348View attachment 31349

Here is one rolled up for packing. (butcher's twine just to hold compressed for picture)
View attachment 31350
Thank you for all the info and pictures. I like those they are on a whole different level than any other boot covers I have ever seen. I think I may need to look into getting a pair.

Not much of a process. Late season here in WI can have temps down in the negatives. I usually wear my base and mid layer to the tree then get dressed once I’m all set up. Far as feet go, guess I got lucky and don’t really have sweaty feet (least not in hunting boots). I just wear my thick wool socks paired with my Baffin Titan winter boots and my feet are fine. It’s really all about keeping ones head and body core heated. Soon as that starts to go the body’s gonna start pull heat from the digits.
It is crazy how every person can be that much different. You wear boots and one pair of socks and are fine dealing with Wisconsin winter and here I am trying to find an extremely warm boot cover that way my feet don't get cold trying to survive these brutal 45° Arkansas winters. Lol

View attachment 31343View attachment 31344View attachment 31345

View attachment 31346

And the sole...
View attachment 31348View attachment 31349

View attachment 31350
You my friend, will never have cold feet again!!

Thank you for all the info and pictures. I like those they are on a whole different level than any other boot covers I have ever seen. I think I may need to look into getting a pair.

Artic shields are light for a reason they use retain technology. I bought mine at Cabela's when they first opened in West Virginia . They had them on sale but that's not why I bought them. They had a demonstration where they had a pair of leather boots in dry ice and one had a Artic shield boot cover on it the other one didn't. When they took the boots out of the dry ice the one with out the Artic shield cover was frozen and when they took out the one with the Artic shield cover was warm. That sold me and they been keeping my feet warm in very cold weather ever since. All I use is Lacrosse Areohead 3mm boots a wick away sock liner and a pair of wool socks and my feet stay warm. That what retain technology is all about it retains the heat in the boot cover.

I have arctic shields and love them. I hunt cheap uninsulated rubber boots year round in NH and I’m good. Just toss in hand warmers if it’s real cold

Couldn't diaagree more mine are the cats teets. I wear uninsulated hikers all season. That said I don't think they work as well over rubber boots for whatever reason.

And to the OP yes they work fine for saddle hunting.

Back