• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Interesting sight

Boomah21

SH Member
Went out scouting a couple days ago…had a pretty great walk thru the woods checking out a spot I knew only a little of. Ended up bumping 6 deer which was fun to see…well on the way home I was driving and I glanced up saw a deer on the side of the road so slowed down and it ran across, then another followed by one more, as I’m stopped in the road now the last deer crossing and it was a buck?! Still holding both antlers a small 6 pt

Guess I had figured everything would of dropped by now…is this normal or kind of a fluke

I think it’s relatively normal within the overall continuum of when deer both grow and drop antlers. I would say mid to late April would be more abnormal.

I still have bucks carrying headgear and Sunday I found a fresh rub on a white pine and it was so fresh the sap was still moving down the tree.

I've seen them drop here in northern Michigan as early as December an as late as April. It has always seemed to me to correlate somewhat with the severity of the winter. Given the very mild winter we had here this year I'm not really surprised to see deer still holding antlers still.

I was listening to a podcast not too long ago with Dr Grant Woods talking about late cycling does. It’s a very small number but does happen.
That’s my theory. Early drop doe fawns coming in heat are keeping the testosterone up causing them to hold on to those antlers a bit longer. And would explain the fresh rubs and scrapes.

That’s my theory. Early drop doe fawns coming in heat are keeping the testosterone up causing them to hold on to those antlers a bit longer. And would explain the fresh rubs and scrapes.
This is the podcast I listened to recently but it’s a very brief mention of unbred does around the 50 min mark cycling a second and third time. Must’ve been a different one from awhile back where there was more discussion about it but no idea at this point which one it was

Went out scouting a couple days ago…had a pretty great walk thru the woods checking out a spot I knew only a little of. Ended up bumping 6 deer which was fun to see…well on the way home I was driving and I glanced up saw a deer on the side of the road so slowed down and it ran across, then another followed by one more, as I’m stopped in the road now the last deer crossing and it was a buck?! Still holding both antlers a small 6 pt

Guess I had figured everything would of dropped by now…is this normal or kind of a fluke

I live near Pittsburgh PA and there are bucks that still have antlers.

I’m not seeing anything with antlers anymore on my trail cams. Last was about two weeks ago here in WNY. I’m sure some are still holding in pockets but zilcho on my cams.

Round here the bucks are already forming new ones. They haven’t quite emerged from under their hair. So there’s not likely anyone still holding onto old tines.

Back