• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Is a prussic knot for a tree tether safe?

caddis75

Hey all,

I am almost all set to try my first saddle set up: trophy line lineman's rope and tether, a DIY kestrel, three API sticks (two with aiders), and a ROS (not here yet). The TL tether came with one prussic (black). I tested this out and I was looking for points of failure: the tether, the prussic, the carabiner, the bridge (green), the bridge loops, or somewhere else on the saddle. I was staring at my prussic thinking, man that looks small. It is the only thing connecting me to the tree. Is this safe? I have an extra prussic (yellow) that I was thinking of using as a backup. I set this up in my basement for the pic, sorry about the mess.

The image was too big, so I made an Imgur link:
Thanks for your help.

I highly recommend untieing the Prussik, put two poachers loops on each end, and tie up a Distel Hitch.
It is so much easier to adjust under load than a prusik and it seems to grip just as good.
I can take a picture of what I did when I get home if you like.
I actually have the exact same Tree Tether from Trophyline.

I highly recommend untieing the Prussik, put two poachers loops on each end, and tie up a Distel Hitch.
It is so much easier to adjust under load than a prusik and it seems to grip just as good.
I can take a picture of what I did when I get home if you like.
I actually have the exact same Tree Tether from Trophyline.
Thank you, no rush.

Thanks. Where on my tether line? Thanks.

Not something you'd leave pretied (at least I don't), but grab a bight of the rope below your Prussik, form the 8 on a bight (leaving a bit of slack for adjustment), then clip it into your carabiner. It'll act a bit as a stopper should your Prussik slip (it shouldn't but still), and if your Prussik is complete compromised, you still are tied into the tether.

I agree with them going with a different hitch then the Prusik. The Prusik will work but there’s better friction hitches out there IMO.
They have their place. I like using a Prusik on my adjustable bridge. I really don't adjust my bridge that often. I adjust my tether much more and the Distel hitch seems to not get completely locked up where I have to take all the weight off of it to adjust it like the Prusik.
I also use a prusik on my linesman belt.

The hitch you show isn’t a Distel, I think you added a diagonal in the back that the Distel doesn’t have. I don’t immediately recognize it, will check my collection. So maybe you have come up with a new one.
I may have wrapped it wrong or maybe it looks different because it is not neatly bunched up like on Animated Knots.
Very possible I added an additional cross where I shouldn't have.
Thanks for pointing that out. I am going to review it again.

Also, I have a prussic on my lineman's belt. Same company, TL. Is this ok, or should I look at an ascender?

Distel and Cartman side by side.
View attachment 38066
Yeah I see what I did. Its almost identical to a Distel Hitch but I have the loop that goes from the top of the coil to the bottom with 1 extra twist.
I tested it again and it is performing great! However I recommend that everyone use the proper method for tying a Distel Hitch.
I am in no way qualified to be inventing friction knots and one created from a mistake should not be trusted.

I am still using a prussik on my linesman rope.
I would just add a tender to make 1 handed adjustments easy.
TY! Can I use 3mm utility cord for a tender? If so what would be a good knot to join the two ends of it? That's all the extra rope I have right now.

Last edited:
Yeah I see what I did. Its almost identical to a Distel Hitch but I have the loop that goes from the top of the coil to the bottom with 1 extra twist.
I tested it again and it is performing great! However I recommend that everyone use the proper method for tying a Distel Hitch.
I am in no way qualified to be inventing friction knots and one created from a mistake should not be trusted.
After posting the comparison picture, I came to the same conclusion, being fairly simple and lacking any sharp bends, it seems to be reliable as far as grabbing. Pretty sure it is new, I called it the cartman, but you should be the one to name it.

TY! Can I use 3mm utility cord for a tender? If so what would be a good knot to join the two ends of it? That's all the extra rope I have right now.
There is a lot of ways to do a diy tender.
The tender is not load bearing so you can kinda use whatever you want.
I am using some paracord with two loops in it.

I am planning on ordering a couple of these.

Back