• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Is it just me?

gameflogger

SH Member
My least favorite part about rappelling down after a hunt is storing my rope back in my pouch. I am curious what kinda cool ideas other people have. I made a long fleece pouch with a zipper top we will see if it is as big a PITA.

My least favorite part about rappelling down after a hunt is storing my rope back in my pouch. I am curious what kinda cool ideas other people have. I made a long fleece pouch with a zipper top we will see if it is as big a PITA.

I tried this last weekend and it worked surprisingly well. Store bulk in the hydration section. Run spliced end through the tube port. Feed out when starting your climb. Feed back in once back on the ground. Feeding it back in has the most fiddly dee factor, but rappelling only 15-20 feet isn’t bad.

fb11c0d3a51f8ed1cef06a02a6f4e476.jpg

I tried this last weekend and it worked surprisingly well. Store bulk in the hydration section. Run spliced end through the tube port. Feed out when starting your climb. Feed back in once back on the ground. Feeding it back in has the most fiddly dee factor, but rappelling only 15-20 feet isn’t bad.

fb11c0d3a51f8ed1cef06a02a6f4e476.jpg
That is pretty cool.

I just do the ole butterfly coil, fold it over on itself and stick it in the pouch on my saddle. Takes me about 10 seconds. Next season I might play with securing the pouch on my bag to get the weight off my saddle. I’m running oplux fwiw which makes coiling easy.

Im running about 40’ of teufelberger, I have been using a waterbottle pouch up until now. It takes me a few minutes to get all of that rope crammed back into that pouch.

I'll be trying out the Eberlestock pouch mounted on my pack's hip belt this year. I'll be running 1 EWO pouch on my saddle with my gear hanger, tether + biner, and lineman's belt + Kong duck in it. The Eberlestock pouch holds 40' Canyon IV, safeguard + biner, ATC + biner, autoblock + biner, dynaglide + biner, and hand ascender + foot loop. (That seems like a lot of biners!!!)

I was previously running the CGM drop out bag with my rope, safeguard + biner, autoblock + biner, and dynaglide + biner. I didn't like how I had to have everything in the outer pocket. I may still go back though, who knows.

Depends on where I am if I take the extra minute to put everything back where it came from or just toss it all in and figure it out later.

Once I get on the ground I wrap my rope up like I always do, hand to elbow method and put in pack. Pull down rope always gets figured 8 in my hand. This is what always worked for me. When I first started I tried using a water bottle pouch for my rappel stuff. Waste of time and money for me personally. I don't carry a lot of stuff anymore so having everything super organized isn't as much of a priority

I'll be trying out the Eberlestock pouch mounted on my pack's hip belt this year. I'll be running 1 EWO pouch on my saddle with my gear hanger, tether + biner, and lineman's belt + Kong duck in it. The Eberlestock pouch holds 40' Canyon IV, safeguard + biner, ATC + biner, autoblock + biner, dynaglide + biner, and hand ascender + foot loop. (That seems like a lot of biners!!!)

I was previously running the CGM drop out bag with my rope, safeguard + biner, autoblock + biner, and dynaglide + biner. I didn't like how I had to have everything in the outer pocket. I may still go back though, who knows.

I tried the Eberlestock pouch and didnt care for it. Was even more a pain getting the rope back in than a dump pouch and was bulky.

Depends on where I am if I take the extra minute to put everything back where it came from or just toss it all in and figure it out later.

Once I get on the ground I wrap my rope up like I always do, hand to elbow method and put in pack. Pull down rope always gets figured 8 in my hand. This is what always worked for me. When I first started I tried using a water bottle pouch for my rappel stuff. Waste of time and money for me personally. I don't carry a lot of stuff anymore so having everything super organized isn't as much of a priority
Im pretty organized, I just hate spending so much time at the bottom of the tree packing things up, especially if I am near bedding areas.

I was trying to rack my brain which roll pouch I had, I'll have ti look when I get home. I figure 8 wrap, fold in half and then my roll pouch has a g clip to cinch it down. It also has two zippered pouches. Top stores the end of my rappel line with delta link and madrock attached, with pull down rope. Bottom pouch stores my gear hanger with genesis 3d bow hanger. Has an outer g hook that rolls the whole thing up and cinch down.

Not a really good angle but this is how I coil my 40ft of 9mm rappel rope. It makes nice figure 8 coils that don't tangle when I want to use it. I control the length of the wound coils by how far I hold my left hand from neck. Once I get to a point the tag end just hangs to the ground I quit winding and use that end to wrap around the coils. After several wraps I pass the tag end through the loop made by may hand and pass it under a couple of the wraps to secure the whole package.

Not a really good angle but this is how I coil my 40ft of 9mm rappel rope. It makes nice figure 8 coils that don't tangle when I want to use it. I control the length of the wound coils by how far I hold my left hand from neck. Once I get to a point the tag end just hangs to the ground I quit winding and use that end to wrap around the coils. After several wraps I pass the tag end through the loop made by may hand and pass it under a couple of the wraps to secure the whole package.

The figure 8 around the neck goes pretty quick, I like that. Do you wear a turkey vest in? Looks like you just tucked your rope in the back.

I normally figure 8 my rope too. Either hand to elbow, or around my neck. But at the base of a tree in the dark, I just shove that **** in my pack and coil it up at home. Takes maybe 5 seconds.

If I'm running and gunning, I'll take the time to coil it in case I climb again.

It's out in the bed of the truck. I'm headed to rutcation camp tomorrow so I'll try to get a current one once I get there. Here's a video from a few years ago, its not that outdated.

Back